ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from XR18  (Read 3207 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Upgrade from XR18
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 06:13:22 pm »

I've consider the x32 compact, as the band would probably like physical faders back, although they like the stage box. Then again we have a snake.

THe x32 is a huge upgrade over the XR18.  The iPad app is vastly superior in my opinion as well.  No moving targets to hit when using an iPad is a huge plus.

If you do want some physical control back, you can add the XTouch control surface into the mix.  It works quite well even over WIFI.  A nice thing about the X32 is that you do also have physical control on the front of the box.  While it would be a nightmare to mix an entire show off of just that, it's better than the no possible option that the XR18 is giving you.

I'm an all X32 shop right now.  I had a couple of XR units because I wanted something just a little more compact.  While they were a little smaller, the benefits of the X32 far outweigh the added size.  I've got one in each amp rack, and one in my wireless rack.  Easy to digitally connect everything together when I need to using a single cable.  Learning to be fluent in creative routing was the biggest obstacle.  But now I can pretty much do that in my sleep.
Brian Jojade

jesseweiss

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 06:33:59 pm »

I can't imagine them getting comfortable with the xtouch either.

That's why my mind is wandering to an X32. While I could still run from a device, someone else could just nudge a fader up if need be. But of course it's a steep learning curve for them since they haven't bothered learning the XR18.

In some ways, they would prefer a simple analog mixer, but we wouldn't get the same features and flexibility.

Mal Brown

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 07:00:35 pm »

Mal, can you tell me the best way to get an external router hooked up to my Ui24R?  I have one, but have yet tried to hook it up.  I've been using the internal wifi and it's worked fine for our small shows, but I would like to get my external router up and running to ensure better performance.

Greg, I downloaded a copy of the PDF from the Facebook group.  I donít seem to be able to upload it here through.pm me and Iíll get you a copy.
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 08:07:34 am »

Mal, can you tell me the best way to get an external router hooked up to my Ui24R?  I have one, but have yet tried to hook it up.  I've been using the internal wifi and it's worked fine for our small shows, but I would like to get my external router up and running to ensure better performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5zqiUwp7lY

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 08:18:49 am »

what features does the xr18 have the Soundcraft does not?

The XR18 has more DSP module types to choose from (limiters, compressors, EQs, delays, reverbs, and others). If I'm remembering correctly you're limited to using 4 total across the whole mixer though. For instance, if you want de-essing on your vocal channels, that's 1 (the Soundcraft has de-essing built into each channel strip so it doesn't take a processor slot).

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is the XR18 has midi capability. I never used it when I owned an XR18 so I'm not sure what you can control.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 08:59:37 am »

When it comes to a de-esser there is actually a nice trick that the x32/x-air mixers have up their sleeve.

Both the gate/ducker/expander and compressor have sidechain. You can use the sidechain to limit the Ďessesí and this works like a charm on any channel/bus.

Btw, the x-air line of mixers uses the same analog components and share the channelstrip and fx processing as the x32.

https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw

Seems to sound good enough for those guys ;-)

For instance, if you want de-essing on your vocal channels, that's 1 (the Soundcraft has de-essing built into each channel strip so it doesn't take a processor slot).

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2018, 05:01:24 am »

I did a shootout recently, trying to choose a console for myself.

I went for the UI24. It sounds much cleaner and more dynamic than the XR18, or in my opinion anyway. QU24 is a nice unit but you can't connect a laptop to it with ethernet, your control is iPad only. Not good enough for me.

here's my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZH6nyOjxjU&t=4s&frags=pl%2Cwn

Greg Harwood

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2018, 09:06:06 am »

Greg, I downloaded a copy of the PDF from the Facebook group.  I donít seem to be able to upload it here through.pm me and Iíll get you a copy.

Thanks....I got my router connected.  I appreciate your help.
Greg H.

Mal Brown

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 10:51:24 am »

Sweet!  Enjoy that board.  I love the ui-24.  Havenít had my Si 1 out in ages...
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Scott Bolt

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 01:13:58 pm »

I did a shootout recently, trying to choose a console for myself.

I went for the UI24. It sounds much cleaner and more dynamic than the XR18, or in my opinion anyway. QU24 is a nice unit but you can't connect a laptop to it with ethernet, your control is iPad only. Not good enough for me.

here's my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZH6nyOjxjU&t=4s&frags=pl%2Cwn

I have yet to hear from anyone that has used the Ui24 and other mixers in its class that has not concluded that the Ui24 is a nicer sounding mixer.  If I were starting over with digital today, I would likely have the Ui24.  Unfortunately, I have grown competent on my X32 Rack and can't give up the time and effort it took to get things honed in so well ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 01:13:58 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.