ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from XR18  (Read 2891 times)

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
Re: Upgrade from XR18
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 10:20:48 pm »

I went from an XR18 to a Soundcraft Ui24r. It's a significant upgrade, IMO. More channels, more routing options, better sounding, much easier recording, more auxes, usable built in wife (though still fairly weak), web based GUI that runs on just about anything, ability to hard wire a touch screen monitor directly to the mixer. I also prefer the GUI.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 07:41:11 am »

I went from an XR18 to a Soundcraft Ui24r. It's a significant upgrade, IMO. More channels, more routing options, better sounding, much easier recording, more auxes, usable built in wife (though still fairly weak)
Sean, the feature you mention that I am most interested in knowing more about is 'usable built in wife (though still fairly weak)...

I have a wife of 33 years and 'weak' isn't the word I would use.  Just having a little fun in the morning.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 07:59:45 am »

Sean, the feature you mention that I am most interested in knowing more about is 'usable built in wife (though still fairly weak)...

I have a wife of 33 years and 'weak' isn't the word I would use.  Just having a little fun in the morning.

Bill

LOL - I actually typed that too and the "i" and "e" keys are nowhere near each other. Hmmmmm, maybe I should check the mixing app for a psychoanalysis feature.

Greg Harwood

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:13 am »

I went from an XR18 to a Soundcraft Ui24r. It's a significant upgrade, IMO. More channels, more routing options, better sounding, much easier recording, more auxes, usable built in wife (though still fairly weak), web based GUI that runs on just about anything, ability to hard wire a touch screen monitor directly to the mixer. I also prefer the GUI.

This.  I'm just a dumb drummer and switched from a MixWiz to the Ui24R and love it.  I was a bit nervous making the change to digital, but this mixer is easy to learn and sounds really good.  Obviously never used an X18, but a sound guy we use occasionally likes to bring his for our shows.  I'm convinced my Soundcraft sounds better and from what I can tell looks easier to use.
Greg H.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 08:59:50 am »

All mixers with builtin wifi uses a very simplistic wifi module and should only be used as for non-critical stuff.

The reason is that licensing the radio module in the whole world takes time and cost a lot of money so pre-built modules are used that already have all necessary and proper licensing already.

For live combat a proper wifi router is required to make use of diversity and mimo to enhance the wifi operation.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 12:31:22 pm »

For live combat a proper wifi router is required to make use of diversity and mimo to enhance the wifi operation.

Amen

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:25 pm »

I frequently get lines out of guest engineerís Bíbrand boxes and they all seem to work. That said, the UI-24 kills them for sound quality.  The web server design is next level.  Running any remote control app or browser on any mixer without an external router is just daft...

In my UI-24 rig, it is hard wired to a NetGear N300 wireless, 4 port router,  when mixing from stage, generally I just use an iPad.  WhenIím mixing in an FOH position, I als wore a Dell All In One Win10 PC to the router.  21.5 ď touch screen.  In settings, local I turned on browser sync.  Then I open 2 additional browsers.  Main browser is the mixer top layer, second is set to selected channel EQ/Gate/Comp.  third window is usually set to aux contributions.  The browsers all follow the selected channel.  Itís pretty slick.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:13:53 pm by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 03:17:42 pm »

If your XR18 is broken, and isn't under warranty, and you're after a replacement...

With your lineup, it sounds like you're not needing more I/O than the XR18 provides.  So another XR18 is probably the cheapest replacement - plus you wouldn't need to relearn anything.

All of the other contenders mentioned are valid options, and their relative appeal will depend on which of their features have appeal to you.  But, in the end, the XR18 is a great form factor and, if you're within its constraints, is a bargain.  Caveats, of course, about the faults you've seen, but generally XRs are as reliable as the rest of the pack.

Greg Harwood

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 03:33:01 pm »

I frequently get lines out of guest engineerís Bíbrand boxes and they all seem to work. That said, the UI-24 makes them for sound quality.  The web server design is next level.  Running any remote control app or browser on any mixer without an external router is just daft...

In my UI-24 rig, it is hard wired to a NetGear N300 wireless, 4 port router,  when mixing from stage, generally I just use an iPad.  WhenIím mixing in an FOH position, I als wore a Dell All In One Win10 PC to the router.  21.5 ď touch screen.  In settings, local I turned on browser sync.  Then I open 2 additional browsers.  Main browser is the mixer top layer, second is set to selected channel EQ/Gate/Comp.  third window is usually set to aux contributions.  The browsers all follow the selected channel.  Itís pretty slick.

Mal, can you tell me the best way to get an external router hooked up to my Ui24R?  I have one, but have yet tried to hook it up.  I've been using the internal wifi and it's worked fine for our small shows, but I would like to get my external router up and running to ensure better performance.
Greg H.

Mal Brown

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 05:23:56 pm »

Mal, can you tell me the best way to get an external router hooked up to my Ui24R?  I have one, but have yet tried to hook it up.  I've been using the internal wifi and it's worked fine for our small shows, but I would like to get my external router up and running to ensure better performance.

So this is about networking.... the UI 24 has a default ip address of 10.10.2.2.  I used the router admin page to set itís ip to 10.10.2.1 and reserved 4 through 10 for dhcp to handle IPads and etc connecting.  I reserved 10.10.2.2 as a static address. I also reserved an address for my PC. At 10.10.2.3.

Each router has itís own management page so exactly how to handle yourís is not something I would likely know.

The pc and Ui 24 are hard wired to the router.  iPads connect wirelessly (duh!)

If you are on Facebook, I highly recommend joining the UI-24r group.   One of the members wrote and uploaded a nice guide on this topic.  It is also where the Product Manager, Danny Olesh takes requests.  He also answers a lot of questions though the group does a lot of self support.  It is probably the best reason I have to be on Facebook other than family stuff at this point.
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 05:23:56 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.