ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where's a cheater plug when you need one?  (Read 1773 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Where's a cheater plug when you need one?
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »

So I'm stringing up Christmas lights (2 wire, no ground), and the only extension cords I have that are long enough to connect the lights to the timer (also 2 wire no ground) are 3-wire cords.

I realized that I don't own ANY cheater plugs to hook the extensions into the timer. It wouldn't compromise safety, since the ground isn't used anyway.

Is it wrong of me to wish I had a cheater plug?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Where's a cheater plug when you need one?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »

So I'm stringing up Christmas lights (2 wire, no ground), and the only extension cords I have that are long enough to connect the lights to the timer (also 2 wire no ground) are 3-wire cords.

I realized that I don't own ANY cheater plugs to hook the extensions into the timer. It wouldn't compromise safety, since the ground isn't used anyway.

I have multiple ground adapter plugs in use around my house. I also have GFCI outlets wherever water/shock hazards exist.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »

I realized that I don't own ANY cheater plugs to hook the extensions into the timer.

Same thing here. With all the old houses, and even some public spaces, I used to have about a half dozen of those things floating around. But I haven't felt the need for one in years -- a good thing. I do keep one in my gig bag, strictly as a test fixture for use by qualified personnel I assure you, but haven't used it. Everywhere I go is grounded and I have not had a hum problem that couldn't be solved with an audio isolation transformer in a long time. One venue did have some sort of grounding issue, solved with an extension cord, not a ground cheater, but even it got a major makeover with all new wiring a couple years ago. The world is better, at least in this regard. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »

Similar situation here! I swore I had some more 2 wire cords and splitters around here somewhere...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.