ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Question - how to connect MIDI to mixer for live show?  (Read 8592 times)

Mike Gage

Basic Question - how to connect MIDI to mixer for live show?
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »

Hi all,

I am trying to gather the things I need to play my first live show. I have a Yamaha Piaggero NP-11 keyboard. It has a headphone out and a MIDI out. From what I have read, many people were not advising to use the headphone out, so I am trying to figure out how to use the MIDI.

Going into the PA system, I have a mixer with XLR and 1/4 inch inputs. I have found MIDI to 1/4 converters, but I am questioning if this would really work from the digital to analog signal? Is it as simple as converting the MIDI to 1/4 and go right into the mixer? Or do I need my digital interface and computer in between to convert the sound?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Basic Question - how to connect MIDI to mixer for live show?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:37:42 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.
Thanks
Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Mike Gage

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.
Thanks
Craig

Ok I changed it.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »

No, this wont work. Midi does not contain any sound or audio.

You’d need a sound module or use the existing keyboard for your audio.

Buy a cheapish DI-box and connect your keyboard to your mixer via that. A DI-box might not be necessary so try this if it works first.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:13:36 PM »

Hi all,

I am trying to gather the things I need to play my first live show. I have a Yamaha Piaggero NP-11 keyboard. It has a headphone out and a MIDI out. From what I have read, many people were not advising to use the headphone out, so I am trying to figure out how to use the MIDI.

Going into the PA system, I have a mixer with XLR and 1/4 inch inputs. I have found MIDI to 1/4 converters, but I am questioning if this would really work from the digital to analog signal? Is it as simple as converting the MIDI to 1/4 and go right into the mixer? Or do I need my digital interface and computer in between to convert the sound?

Thanks for helping a newbie!
The MIDI-out only sends note command information to an external sound module or MIDI sequencer.  If your two choices are MIDI and headphones, you need a direct box which accepts unbalanced 1/4" in and outputs XLR balanced audio and the appropriate cable. 

Something like this cord into this DI box.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »

As others have mentioned, midi is not the answer here without another device specifically designed to take that midi information and turn it into audio signals.  At that point, the sounds your keyboard makes would be replaced by the sounds the other device makes, for better or worse.  The only audio out on that keyboard from what is listed on the Yamaha website is the headphone out, so that is your only option in this circumstance.

Out of curiousity, in these places you read about people not recommended use of the headphone out, what did they recommend using as an audio jack otherwise? 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Mike Gage

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »

The MIDI-out only sends note command information to an external sound module or MIDI sequencer.  If your two choices are MIDI and headphones, you need a direct box which accepts unbalanced 1/4" in and outputs XLR balanced audio and the appropriate cable. 

Something like this cord into this DI box.

Great, thanks! So it looks like that goes through the headphone jack after all.

Mike Gage

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »

As others have mentioned, midi is not the answer here without another device specifically designed to take that midi information and turn it into audio signals.  At that point, the sounds your keyboard makes would be replaced by the sounds the other device makes, for better or worse.  The only audio out on that keyboard from what is listed on the Yamaha website is the headphone out, so that is your only option in this circumstance.

Out of curiousity, in these places you read about people not recommended use of the headphone out, what did they recommend using as an audio jack otherwise?

The person said it would have a really terrible sound, but I think they were also talking about going direct from the jack to the Mixer or PA. The only other way I had ever used the keyboard was with MIDI into the computer through a digital audio interface. But it makes sense why it would be different going to an amp or PA.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »

The person said it would have a really terrible sound, but I think they were also talking about going direct from the jack to the Mixer or PA. The only other way I had ever used the keyboard was with MIDI into the computer through a digital audio interface. But it makes sense why it would be different going to an amp or PA.

If the mixer you are plugging into is 100' away at FOH and you are on stage it might sound bad due to interference picked up in the long unbalanced cable. In that case the DI is the best choice. If the mixer is your keyboard mixer and the cable will only be 6' you don't need a DI, just plug into the 1/4" inputs with a cable that has a TRS (stereo) plug on the keyboard end and 2 TS (mono) plugs on the mixer end.

Mac

Mike Gage

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »

If the mixer you are plugging into is 100' away at FOH and you are on stage it might sound bad due to interference picked up in the long unbalanced cable. In that case the DI is the best choice. If the mixer is your keyboard mixer and the cable will only be 6' you don't need a DI, just plug into the 1/4" inputs with a cable that has a TRS (stereo) plug on the keyboard end and 2 TS (mono) plugs on the mixer end.

Mac

Thanks, Mac. I'll try the direct connection via the headphone jack as you suggested first to avoid buying an extra thing if I don't need it. My mixer does have the balanced or unbalanced mono inputs as options too. If that doesn't sound good, I can try the DI box.

Thanks all for your good inputs!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.