ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing in the Rain  (Read 4246 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: Playing in the Rain
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »

Do you have a Home Depo close? They sell a box of clear 55 gallon trash bags that will cover most speakers as well as providing  water resistant cover for electrical outlets and LED lighting..I put them on everything and use the clear plastic shipping tape to keep them tight..

Mal Brown

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »

if the mains are protected then pallet and tarp the subs.  i use plain old blue tarp and a ratchet strap to keep it nice right and in place.  The sub doen’t seem to know it is covered.

bought rain covers from Undercover for a qsc rig.  Having a custom set made for my Renkus/EAW rig.  I’m working on some ski area show if we have a real winter up here...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:15:12 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 07:03:31 PM »

+1 to pallets and tarps.  ULINE sells a variety of composite pallets that I’d highly recommend. 

Also, these 95 gallon trash bags are pretty damn amazing.  The clear is easy on the eyes.  http://a.co/d/4uoaHsN

These pallet covers are on my 2019 list to find a size that works well for racks.  https://www.uline.com/BL_7155/Heavy-Duty-Pallet-Covers

Josh Dunaway

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »

What about the lights?

Tim- fortunately I am only providing suplimental sound equipment to the production company running the event.  They are having a separate company bring in lighting, one would hope they have all IP rated lighting.

I believe I will be ordering some Undercover Covers after this event.

Thank you for the plastic pallet idea, my father-in-law has a lot of them that i can get, I imagine it will be much easier to move around then Bil-Jax Decks.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »

I believe I will be ordering some Undercover Covers after this event.

Thank you for the plastic pallet idea, my father-in-law has a lot of them that i can get, I imagine it will be much easier to move around then Bil-Jax Decks.

If you're pretty confident that your rig isn't going to be changing anytime soon they're an excellent investment to make.  Not cheap, but worth it for these types of things.

Another frequent flyer tip - if tarps and bungees isn't enough coverage and you have to go the visqueen route, using scraps of cardboard to sandwich the plastic against your pallet will work wonders for staples (via staple gun) to hold in place.  Make sure you sort out how pooling water can drain, and keep in mind that both pooling water and blowing wind can put very respectable loads on any equipment covered in visqueen.  Good luck!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 12:17:56 AM »

Here's a link to some big bags that will cover a standard double 18 and high pack stack. Thin enough you can blow through them and keep going without too much impact on the sound. They are a clear pale yellow color though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WNP70Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For all out rain or overnight cover up I have some Road Case Rain Gear custom fitted slip over bags/tarps.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »

Side stage protection is a must.  Some years ago I was playing a festival when it started raining.  Sound co had bagged their mains and were relying on the roof to keep everything else try.  I was standing on the end and it started blowing in under the roof.  Someone threw a tarp over my pedal board.  Which I had to lift up with my foot to push buttons.
Malo was after us and refused to go on.  Probably a wise choice.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »

Side stage protection is a must.  Some years ago I was playing a festival when it started raining.  Sound co had bagged their mains and were relying on the roof to keep everything else try.  I was standing on the end and it started blowing in under the roof.  Someone threw a tarp over my pedal board.  Which I had to lift up with my foot to push buttons.
Malo was after us and refused to go on.  Probably a wise choice.
Water and Lectricity don't mix. Period.
That's why it is so expensive and time consuming to properly do big outdoor shows. Small shows are not immune, just more likely to cut corners and screw up.
When someone tells me "Show must go on, rain or shine" they kind of give a blank stare when  I tell them a cost, and load-in schedule......
There is a BIG difference between "Bagging the speakers" and "Play through the rain". If lightening is involved, the plug get's pulled. No discussion.
Just because some promoter sees something on TV, doesn't mean it can actually be done in real life.
Gear can be replaced. Lives, not so much.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »

Another vote for the FS/W covers, I have them for both my rigs for the tops.  I also use plastic pallets and tarps for the subs to allow water to flow under and give me something to strap the tarps to. 

I still have trouble getting the tarp in front of the sub without hearing it rattle with every kick hit, so I have just been tarping the top and sides with a bit of an overhang at the front top.  Anyone have any tips to keep the tarps quiet on subs?  Or rather has anyone tried the FS/W covers with subs at reasonable rock and roll levels?
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »

Another vote for the FS/W covers, I have them for both my rigs for the tops.  I also use plastic pallets and tarps for the subs to allow water to flow under and give me something to strap the tarps to. 

I still have trouble getting the tarp in front of the sub without hearing it rattle with every kick hit, so I have just been tarping the top and sides with a bit of an overhang at the front top.  Anyone have any tips to keep the tarps quiet on subs?  Or rather has anyone tried the FS/W covers with subs at reasonable rock and roll levels?

I did a rain hat once. A sheet of ply a foot longer than the sub then carefully folded the tarp giving a visor . Works if the rain isn’t sideways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.