ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duratruss 3800 min height vs...  (Read 3766 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Duratruss 3800 min height vs...
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »

I've been considering a pair of 3800 for a while, but my biggest concern is whether I'll be able to press an SM80 up the extra 6-7" of minimum height onto the pole.  I've used Ultimate TS88B stands for years and can do it with them.  I'm also not sure that is an accurate take on the minimum possible height of one of these Duratruss stands if someone can offer a real world clarification, as the specs for the stand only indicate "folded height".

I should state that I'm 5' 11" and shrinking...and although in reasonable shape, do not have Dwayne Johnson "guns". ;>)

I'd also like to combine the stands with The Angler from Dave Garoutte here on the LAB.

Best regards,

John

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Duratruss 3800 min height vs...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:55:58 AM »

I've been considering a pair of 3800 for a while, but my biggest concern is whether I'll be able to press an SM80 up the extra 6-7" of minimum height onto the pole.  I've used Ultimate TS88B stands for years and can do it with them.  I'm also not sure that is an accurate take on the minimum possible height of one of these Duratruss stands if someone can offer a real world clarification, as the specs for the stand only indicate "folded height".

I should state that I'm 5' 11" and shrinking...and although in reasonable shape, do not have Dwayne Johnson "guns". ;>)

I'd also like to combine the stands with The Angler from Dave Garoutte here on the LAB.

Best regards,

John

DT-3800L  - 12ft. Crank Stand 176 lbs. Max Load
Maximum load 176 lbs. 80kg
 Minimum load 22 lbs. 10kg
 Maximum height 12.46 ft. 3800mm
 Folded height 5.75 ft. 1755mm
 Weight 37.47 lbs. 17kg
 Foot extension dia. 3.93ft 1200mm

LIST PRICE $398.95

ST-132  - MEDIUM DUTY CRANK STAND
MIN HEIGHT 5.9ft
 MAX HEIGHT 13.2ft
 MAX VERTICAL LOAD 220lbs.
 INSERTION DIAMETER 1 3/8"
 FOOTPRINT 63" x 63"
 UNIT WEIGHT 55 Lbs.

TRUSS ADAPTERS SOLD SEPARATELY
 51" SQUARE TUBE LIGHTING BAR INCLUDED
 LIST PRICE 360.95

A friend and I were testing his SM80's a few weekends ago (need to update that thread...been too busy except for casual responses to the forum).

We were using the ST132 crank stands (tiny bit taller), but with the tilter probably same height.

I tried putting a SM80 on one crank stand myself and it was pretty risky so I stopped before I got it all the way on the pole and had him help. Not bad with two people, though a bit wobbly.

Standing on the outriggers to give you extra height or a sub or box or something would make this incredibly easy. Even just a milk crate to give you a tiny bit extra height...

That said, we regularly put my JBL835p's (90lbs & 38.7" vs 65lbs 24" for SM80) on the ST132's with BT12's (~10" height) by setting the crank stand on its side and inserting the pole. Easy enough for one person to do the job.

Also, I know you know the details, but for anyone who wants quick access to all this info in the future...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »

I use the Iwo Jima method sometimes, too.
It make for an easy lift, but you need to be careful not to put too much side load on the tripod/pole cup interface. 
Some pole cups are kind of flimsy in that direction.
You should lift from the center of the speaker.
If you lift from the top, you impart a large bending load at the connection point.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »

Best regards,

John
John, I have the Duratruss basic 3800 stands. With the 1 3/8" adapters in place, the folded up length is  72 1/2",  with legs extended 73 1/2".
I'm using the BT 12. I always ask for help  getting my Runts up there.
The usually shorter helper stands on a bench or a sub. I'm about 6'2" ( and getting shorter also). Getting too old to risk hurting myself.
I've tried the Iwo Jima method, but usually work in dance spaces or gymnasiums, and the floor is too slippery.
Btw I have marked the extension pole in 1/4 foot increments, with magic marker; makes getting the same height really easy

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »

ST-132/SM80T/BT-12 user here.  6' tall and also not Dwayne Johnson.  I use a folding stepladder, subwoofer, or monitor speaker to stand on while placing the top on the pole.  My ST-132 is my height when completely retracted but in a standing position, and my SM80's (65 lbs) and EV ZXA5's (50 lbs) are just a little too heavy for me to feel comfortable getting them on there.  Add the tilter and it's just not practical without assistance (helper or above stepping tool).  I have not used the DT-3800 so hopefully someone can chime in on whether that would be any more practical.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

John Halliburton

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »

I use the Iwo Jima method sometimes, too.
It make for an easy lift, but you need to be careful not to put too much side load on the tripod/pole cup interface. 
Some pole cups are kind of flimsy in that direction.
You should lift from the center of the speaker.
If you lift from the top, you impart a large bending load at the connection point.

As Danley use the cast pole cups, side loading them is definitely something that has to be considered as they may crack.  The steel cups shouldn't be a problem.

Best regards,

John

John Halliburton

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »

ST-132/SM80T/BT-12 user here.  6' tall and also not Dwayne Johnson.  I use a folding stepladder, subwoofer, or monitor speaker to stand on while placing the top on the pole.  My ST-132 is my height when completely retracted but in a standing position, and my SM80's (65 lbs) and EV ZXA5's (50 lbs) are just a little too heavy for me to feel comfortable getting them on there.  Add the tilter and it's just not practical without assistance (helper or above stepping tool).  I have not used the DT-3800 so hopefully someone can chime in on whether that would be any more practical.

The subwoofer on it's side would have to be the go to option for me I think.

John

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »

John I believe we use the same subwoofers, and yes one Orbit Shifter on it's side is enough boost for me for my ST-132's/BT-12/SM80T's.   I use subs any time I use the SM80's, so they are always nearby.  I still bring my step ladder though, for the sake of aiming lights and speakers once in the air.

If I did it all over again I'd probably buy the 3800's too for the same reason you're considering, but right now my stands are in perfect working order so I can't rationalize the upgrade for something that won't allow me to increase my rates or reduce much time in my load-in.  I like the concept of the mechanism they use, and not having to reach for the release pins would make life just slightly simpler.

FWIW, I also have a pair of TS-110BL stands that I can put the SM80T on with no boost from it's lowest position and still get it pretty high in the air with the air-power lift, but the BT-12 on top kills it for me again.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.