ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha M7CL-48 Battery Problems?  (Read 5512 times)

Bob Taylor

Yamaha M7CL-48 Battery Problems?
« on: December 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »

So i started the board up last night for the Saturday Evening Service, and when i turned on the amps, i got a howl like feedback. Hitting mutes and pulling all the faders down did not stop it. By loading another scene, i got it to stop. no other issues that night.

Then our Sunday morning guy got the same thing when he loaded the third hour Service. Same results as he could not mute or pull faders down to stop it. That includes the masters. And in either case the meters did not indicate signal anywhere in any input, mix, or matrix. he also had to load another scene to stop it.

Now i'm the nervous type so i loaded all the scenes onto my USB stick at the end of the Sunday Services, and noticed it dated the file as January 1, year 2000. So pretty sure the Battery is dead/dying. Would this cause more than just the wrong time stamps? Would our scenes get contaminated data from this? Or are we seeing a future upgrade coming soon?

And of course it won't do it while we are all standing in front of it to make things easy to troubleshoot.

Need some old guy who remembers all the fault problems from these old beasts to clue me in.

Bob T

Daniel Youn

Re: Yamaha M7CL-48 Battery Problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:30:46 AM »

Based on what I can gather from what you've mentioned, I suspect that the noise is coming from internal loop/feedback due to incorrect routing. I caused it once while using M7CL which I believe made squealing sound.

Does it happen to particular scene? I think internal loop is the cause unless it happens to all other scenes.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 01:58:11 AM »

So i started the board up last night for the Saturday Evening Service, and when i turned on the amps, i got a howl like feedback. Hitting mutes and pulling all the faders down did not stop it. By loading another scene, i got it to stop. no other issues that night.

Now i'm the nervous type so i loaded all the scenes onto my USB stick at the end of the Sunday Services, and noticed it dated the file as January 1, year 2000. So pretty sure the Battery is dead/dying. Would this cause more than just the wrong time stamps? Would our scenes get contaminated data from this? Or are we seeing a future upgrade coming soon?
Bob to the first part of what you are asking, I would bet that you have an open effect going back into a group and being routed to it's own input.  Thus a loop that does show any input, but is definitely there.

As far as the battery, it will not have any effect on the first part, loop, of your problem.  They are simply two separate none connected issues.  The better part of a decade ago I helped Mike Mason change a battery in an M7 out at his shop.  However, it was two many gray hairs ago for me to remember the process.  It seemed to me like it was a fairly easy fix.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Bob Taylor

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »

Bob to the first part of what you are asking, I would bet that you have an open effect going back into a group and being routed to it's own input.  Thus a loop that does show any input, but is definitely there.

As far as the battery, it will not have any effect on the first part, loop, of your problem.  They are simply two separate none connected issues.  The better part of a decade ago I helped Mike Mason change a battery in an M7 out at his shop.  However, it was two many gray hairs ago for me to remember the process.  It seemed to me like it was a fairly easy fix.

Bill

To update this , several others have told me the same thing as Daniel and William. Whats weird is the scenes when re loaded, are just fine at a later date. When this happens, we are either turning the board on, or changing a scene, not changing any levels/assignments. I'm told the Battery keeps the scene memory alive, so that is why I went their thinking a low battery or bad battery contacts was the cause of the corruption of the file. And the Date/Time was way off by 18 years. (And also I should add, I never got the low battery alarm that the M7 is suppose to give.)

The church wanted this fixed ASAP as the BIG Christmas production is this coming weekend. On Monday when i got up and moving about, I pulled the board out and took it over to Clearwing for them to replace the battery and look at it. They pulled the battery out, it still was 3.08 something Volts. Contacts for the battery were clean and shiny, no oxidation/leaking battery. Had them replace it just cause we are there and to try to eliminate that as a fault. They re-initialized the memory, calibrated the faders, and I re-loaded our scenes from my stick. It all came up clear and no growl. We have no smoking gun as to why it's happening, just eliminated a few options.

So am i still chasing this Gremlin, or did we somehow shotgun the cause?

At least Clearwing has several of these boards in their inventory if i need to rent in an emergency till i can replace it with??????

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »

They pulled the battery out, it still was 3.08 something Volts. Contacts for the battery were clean and shiny, no oxidation/leaking battery. Had them replace it just cause we are there and to try to eliminate that as a fault. They re-initialized the memory, calibrated the faders, and I re-loaded our scenes from my stick. It all came up clear and no growl. We have no smoking gun as to why it's happening, just eliminated a few options.

So am i still chasing this Gremlin, or did we somehow shotgun the cause?

It could be that I am wrong...wouldn't be the first time or the last...

As for the new CL3 or QL5 you are about to get...when will they be here?!?!

Good Luck,
Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Bob Taylor

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »

It could be that I am wrong...wouldn't be the first time or the last...

As for the new CL3 or QL5 you are about to get...when will they be here?!?!

Good Luck,
Bill

Was originally thinking QL5, but I sure like the Dlive. Got to see it in person and poke around Tuesday, Would get us the inputs quantity and all the mixes/outputs for all the IEM's, wedges, and all the other areas that need sound. Lots of them in HOW here in the Phoenix area from what I see and here.

It only requires money, so the M7 will need to die first.

And tonight is the BIG rehearsal, so we will know how she does.

Bob

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »

Was originally thinking QL5, but I sure like the Dlive. Got to see it in person and poke around Tuesday, Would get us the inputs quantity and all the mixes/outputs for all the IEM's, wedges, and all the other areas that need sound. Lots of them in HOW here in the Phoenix area from what I see and here.

And tonight is the BIG rehearsal, so we will know how she does.

Bob
The DLive is a lot more mixer per dollar certainly than the Yamaha CL series, and a lot more features than QL.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:35:10 PM »

There's lots of creative ways to help a M7 die..... >:)

Matthias McCready

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »

There's lots of creative ways to help a M7 die..... >:)

I have some Serbian nationalist friends that come to mind...  ;)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Bob Taylor

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 04:54:56 PM »

I have some Serbian nationalist friends that come to mind...  ;)

It has died and we can't get Yamaha to even respond to Emails to help us solve it's issues. We have rented an M7 temporarily till we get the new A&H.
And yes a few of us are taking it out into the desert and going to unload a few clips into it for grins and giggles.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 04:54:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.