ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on SRX812P preset with non-srx subs  (Read 2807 times)

Jim Layton

Question on SRX812P preset with non-srx subs
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:14:33 AM »

I've looked at previous discussions but still have a question. My subs are PRX 618xlfs which have a set x-over at 90 and are designed to feed the PRX tops. So do I set the SRX as a full-range top and let the sub feed its "recipe" to the SRX tops...or is there an advantage to using the "non-SRX" sub presets on the SRX812p cabs? If so, suggestions on the X-over. I have not had a chance to try different settings yet.
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Question on SRX812P preset with non-srx subs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »

I've looked at previous discussions but still have a question. My subs are PRX 618xlfs which have a set x-over at 90 and are designed to feed the PRX tops. So do I set the SRX as a full-range top and let the sub feed its "recipe" to the SRX tops...or is there an advantage to using the "non-SRX" sub presets on the SRX812p cabs? If so, suggestions on the X-over. I have not had a chance to try different settings yet.

I used my PRX718xlfs with my SRX812p's last weekend.  I chose the HP in the subs and set the tops to full range. The rig sounded great. I didn't try it the other way round to compare.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jim Layton

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »

Great. That was was I was thinking of doing.
Thanks!
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »

Great. That was was I was thinking of doing.
Thanks!

It'll sound good!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »

I recently did a show where my SRX sub's were in a mono stack under the left 815p, and the tops where split left-right. When doing this I typically set the top without a sub as "Main". During the show I noticed both of my SRX tops where set to main (sub's were set to SRX top). Aside from placing an EQ filter in the low mid's on my main output, the system sounded fantastic. I would try it both ways if you get a chance.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 04:00:35 AM »

As far as I’m aware, whatever setting you use has no effect on the parallel outputs, they remain unfiltered.

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »

As far as I’m aware, whatever setting you use has no effect on the parallel outputs, they remain unfiltered.

He's using PRX subs, which have a crossover setting for the output.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 06:17:16 PM »

Can’t the srx tops send just the sub frequencies which would be adjustable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banning CA,

Roland Clarke

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 06:25:52 PM »

Can’t the srx tops send just the sub frequencies which would be adjustable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.  That’s the issue.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 09:15:02 PM »

The quick and easy way would be to use the Sub to send its recipe to the SRX tops which would be set for full range.

Option two would be to go into the tops first and then utilize their X-over settings that would only affect the tops. The pass-through on the SRX's is point to point, so what goes into them is what goes out. This allows you to set the SRX's to any desired setting and the signal going out would be untouched and able to processed independently.  This is the way that yields the greatest level of tuning as you can dial the tops to the subs, but it adds another level of complexity that perhaps only performs marginally better.

The output on the PRX is going to have the Recipe that it utilizes for the PRX tops. Now, this doesn't mean that it is no good for any other brand of mains, but may not be optimal. I'm certain that most won't be able to tell much difference unless you had an A - B setup to quickly switch back and forth between. I would prefer to have the control of separating the two halves and being able to use my own crossover point for the tops, but that is me. I have the tools to measure and asses the performance relatively quickly, others just need to get the system up and running in short order. Tru it each way and see what you prefer. I can almost guarantee that either way will not be a deal breaker. Both will work fine, one will just work better. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »

The quick and easy way would be to use the Sub to send its recipe to the SRX tops which would be set for full range.

Option two would be to go into the tops first and then utilize their X-over settings that would only affect the tops. The pass-through on the SRX's is point to point, so what goes into them is what goes out. This allows you to set the SRX's to any desired setting and the signal going out would be untouched and able to processed independently.  This is the way that yields the greatest level of tuning as you can dial the tops to the subs, but it adds another level of complexity that perhaps only performs marginally better.

The output on the PRX is going to have the Recipe that it utilizes for the PRX tops. Now, this doesn't mean that it is no good for any other brand of mains, but may not be optimal. I'm certain that most won't be able to tell much difference unless you had an A - B setup to quickly switch back and forth between. I would prefer to have the control of separating the two halves and being able to use my own crossover point for the tops, but that is me. I have the tools to measure and asses the performance relatively quickly, others just need to get the system up and running in short order. Tru it each way and see what you prefer. I can almost guarantee that either way will not be a deal breaker. Both will work fine, one will just work better.

^^ This.

And frankly why has nobody recommended that Jim set this up and experiment with it?  Doesn't have to be loud but outdoors or somewhere he's 40-ish feet from reflecting surfaces other than the ground plane will give the best listening results.

I like your Option Two if Jim is able to do a serious listen testing and agree that he can't go majorly wrong.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Kidd

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »

I have this exact setup. I setup up auxfed (really through matrix) and control crossover from board. Works extremely well for me especially in vibrant rooms. Moving to the srx sub just struggling on whether to get 2 828s or 4 818s. Love the versatility of 818s, just not sure worth extra cost.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:17:46 PM by Bob Kidd »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 11:10:42 PM »

I have this exact setup. I setup up auxfed (really through matrix) and control crossover from board. Works extremely well for me especially in vibrant rooms. Moving to the srx sub just struggling on whether to get 2 828s or 4 818s. Love the versatility of 818s, just not sure worth extra cost.

I already had an SRX828 when a used mint SRX818 came along which I couldn't pass up. Then I found a new one on sale to match it. If I hadn't got such good prices I probably would have gone for another SRX828 instead.
With that said, having used them a while now, I am really pleased I have the scalability that each design offers me.
I'd suggest getting 1 x SRX828 and 2x SRX818's.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »

I already had an SRX828 when a used mint SRX818 came along which I couldn't pass up. Then I found a new one on sale to match it. If I hadn't got such good prices I probably would have gone for another SRX828 instead.
With that said, having used them a while now, I am really pleased I have the scalability that each design offers me.
I'd suggest getting 1 x SRX828 and 2x SRX818's.

Thanks Debbie,

Right now using 2 812s over 4 618xlfs for indoor events. Do you feel move to the 2 828s would make a difference? Especially being same product. May pick up a pair to try at corporate event this weekend. Thanks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »

Thanks Debbie,

Right now using 2 812s over 4 618xlfs for indoor events. Do you feel move to the 2 828s would make a difference? Especially being same product. May pick up a pair to try at corporate event this weekend. Thanks

Bob I love my PRX718xlfs and they have been my go to subs for smaller bars and clubs ever since I got them mainly due to the smaller footprint when space is at a premium BUT every time I use my SRX subs I can tell the difference.
This is most noticeable when playing a venue where in the past I have used the PRX subs and I can compare. If I have had issues with low end reflection, boom etc, the SRX subs really help me control the acoustics without fighting with EQ. They are very defined in their low end and flatter than the PRX's.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 04:31:47 PM »

Bob I love my PRX718xlfs and they have been my go to subs for smaller bars and clubs ever since I got them mainly due to the smaller footprint when space is at a premium BUT every time I use my SRX subs I can tell the difference.
This is most noticeable when playing a venue where in the past I have used the PRX subs and I can compare. If I have had issues with low end reflection, boom etc, the SRX subs really help me control the acoustics without fighting with EQ. They are very defined in their low end and flatter than the PRX's.

Thanks, would love the versatility of 4 srx 818 but can only pick up 2 now or 2 828s. Have 2 gigs that are in rooms approx 15000 sq ft (110 x 140).  There corporate and not asking for rock levels (80s band). If I think 2 818s and 812s would get me by I would go that direction.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »

Thanks, would love the versatility of 4 srx 818 but can only pick up 2 now or 2 828s. Have 2 gigs that are in rooms approx 15000 sq ft (110 x 140).  There corporate and not asking for rock levels (80s band). If I think 2 818s and 812s would get me by I would go that direction.

The 828 is "Buy an 818 and get the second one 50% off".  Unless you have transportation, storage, or gig space issues it's a a better investment.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.