ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer tires, Costco or Les Schwab? Or?  (Read 3752 times)

Jack Arnott

Trailer tires, Costco or Les Schwab? Or?
« on: November 29, 2018, 01:21:28 PM »

Hello All,
I need new trailer tires. I have been using Discount Tire for a long time, but am growing weary of them, and the parking is getting a lot worse there. (Turns out the parking lot is shared, and new neighbors are bogarting it.) I think that Costco or Les Schwab would be my best two bets, but this is without visiting them. I have 15” rims, single axle, and 3500 lb axle. I had radials, and want those again. My old tires are over ten years old. One has a nail in it, slow leak, and is unrepairable.
Any thoughts on where to go for tires, and which brand tires you prefer? (Consumer reports does not rate trailer tires.)

Thanks, Jack
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:08:19 PM by Jack Arnott »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Trailer tires, Costco or Les Schwab? Or?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »

My old tires are over ten years old. One has a nail in it, slow leak, and is unrepairable.

Thanks, Jack
10 years! Even if the one was "repairable" you needed new tires a while back! :o
As for retailer, it's more a matter of brand.
 There are plenty of cheap tires out there but I suggest you  stick with a name brand and look for decent pricing.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »

I'm not  a trailer tire expert, but you will probably want to get tires that have "ST" on them (as part of the model name/number).  The ST indicates they are for trailer use, and to my understanding, have much better sidewall construction than non-ST tires.  Trailers that do not have a differential put more stress on the sidewalls of tires when going around corners or making turns while backing up, which is why an ST rated tire is preferred.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will respond.

Jack Arnott

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 02:53:48 PM »

Doesn’t ST refer to single axle?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »

Between those two choices, I would go with Costco, and that's coming from someone whose parents used Les Schwab for literally decades. The main reason I'd do Costco is they are nationwide instead of just west coast, which may be beneficial if you travel a bunch. They're also open on Sundays, instead of L/S that isn't. On the other hand, L/S does offer emergency "we come to you" services that Costco won't. They open earlier in the day than Costco.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »

Doesn’t ST refer to single axle?

Nope, "Special Trailer".  Suitable only for trailer axles and not to be used on traction or steering axles of power units.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 07:23:33 PM »

Another vote for Costco instead of Les Schwab. 

Load rating is your friend, otherwise many of the trailer tires are nothing special.  LT (light truck) tires are fine as long as the load rating is good.  Stay away from P (passenger) tires.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »

Trailers that do not have a differential put more stress on the sidewalls of tires when going around corners or making turns while backing up, which is why an ST rated tire is preferred.
Why would a trailer have a differential?  Assuming we're talking about 5x8 to 16' single or tandem axle covered trailers.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 08:21:31 PM »

Why would a trailer have a differential?  Assuming we're talking about 5x8 to 16' single or tandem axle covered trailers.
I think he meant trailers DONT have differentials, so trailer tires don’t scrub that way. However, many trailers have more than one axel so when you turn sharp, there is a lot of force on the sidewall.

Load capacity for the size is important to check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »

The home-made type.  I'm surprised how many of these I see.

I think he meant trailers DONT have differentials, so trailer tires don’t scrub that way. However, many trailers have more than one axel so when you turn sharp, there is a lot of force on the sidewall.

Load capacity for the size is important to check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Correct. 

Trailer tires (ST) are what is needed with the absence of a differential.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.