ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear-Com LQ Power Availability  (Read 1593 times)

Mark Hannah

Clear-Com LQ Power Availability
« on: November 28, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »

I need some help with math and my lack of experience in comm power needs.

The Production Intercom (PI) devices are estimates based off currently available gear.

- LQ 2W2 - Will provide the power (150mA Max)
- EF-701M (<= 80mA)
- PI Blazon/Flasher (21mA in standby/ready & 120mA active)
- PI Handset station (10 to 40mA)

The EF-701M will only be used as a 2-wire to 4-wire interface.  The handset station would be used to "Call" but a handset would be connected in case it is needed by a producer standing by the FOH engineer.

I know theory doesn't always equate with reality.  My gut tells me we will be fine because the blazon would be used so infrequently that a short term spike wouldn't cause any issue.  If only my confidence with comm would equate to my gut.

Do you suggest a product replacement for the EF-701M?  We tried using AudioMan transformers without luck (perhaps a story for another thread) to make the interface between the 2-wire gear and the console.

Thank you.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Clear-Com LQ Power Availability
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »

We tried using AudioMan transformers without luck (perhaps a story for another thread) to make the interface between the 2-wire gear and the console.

AudioMan XLR pins 1 & 3 go to your line level device's XLR pins 3 & 2. But remember this will be a unidirectional audio connection only, the direction based on whether you're connecting to the line level device's input or output: the AudioMan is not a 2 to 4 wire converter. If you need bi-directional 2 to 4 wire conversion the EF-107 is the correct device, but the Studio Technologies' Models 46 and 47 are the top tier products in this category.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Mark Hannah

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 09:41:46 AM »

AudioMan XLR pins 1 & 3 go to your line level device's XLR pins 3 & 2. But remember this will be a unidirectional audio connection only, the direction based on whether you're connecting to the line level device's input or output: the AudioMan is not a 2 to 4 wire converter. If you need bi-directional 2 to 4 wire conversion the EF-107 is the correct device, but the Studio Technologies' Models 46 and 47 are the top tier products in this category.

Thank you Henry for your response.  I should have left out the AudioMan section and truly kept it for another thread as I have more questions. 

And instead asked the following...  Will the LQ provide the power requirements of the items listed in the OP without issue?  What tolerances should I consider when making this and future calculations?  Additional thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:50:48 AM by Mark Hannah »

Elliot Carroll

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »

Thank you Henry for your response.  I should have left out the AudioMan section and truly kept it for another thread as I have more questions. 

And instead asked the following...  Will the LQ provide the power requirements of the items listed in the OP without issue?  What tolerances should I consider when making this and future calculations?  Additional thoughts?

You should be fine Mark.  I have pushed the power requirements on those LQ's a few times on purpose to see if I could get them to stutter/fail/hiccup, and it hasn't happened so far.  Your point is correct on the flasher/call call being used so infrequently that it won't cause any issues.  If you're using the smaller, non-rack LQ's, remember to always use the power supply and not POE, as that will severely impact the available juice.
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

Mark Hannah

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:29:20 AM »

You should be fine Mark.  I have pushed the power requirements on those LQ's a few times on purpose to see if I could get them to stutter/fail/hiccup, and it hasn't happened so far.  Your point is correct on the flasher/call call being used so infrequently that it won't cause any issues.  If you're using the smaller, non-rack LQ's, remember to always use the power supply and not POE, as that will severely impact the available juice.

Elliot, Thank you.  It is the non-rack version.  150mA vs 250mA.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:29:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.