ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DCP Playback  (Read 3878 times)

Brian Larson

DCP Playback
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »

A client has asked me to price out a system that can playback DCP films. I don’t know much about this format but it looks like these are delivered on hard drives that are “ingested” into a specialized server that decodes and plays back the proprietary film file.

Quick searches look like these systems are mostly designed for theater installs and cost upwards of $30k. This is for a roving once a month film screening non-profit so that figure is out of the question but was wondering if there are other cheaper options, possibly software based? Right now we only need 1080p output on HDMI but willing to put a dual-link SDI card in the projector if necessary. Budget is $5k tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: DCP Playback
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »

I'm making an assumption here, but what it sounds like they should be doing it getting films released for non-theater-based public display that have been licensed for such use. Swank.com is one of the most popular sources for these.

My assumption could be wrong though, but the costs for getting into the business of showing movies that are being distributed in DCP form is going to be higher than even that $30k figure.

I can't imagine the rights holders for any film allowing a non-profit portable entity to show their films before their theater runs are completed.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Brian Larson

DCP Playback
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:32:35 PM »

Your assumption is correct. They are using Swank now but are interested in getting films earlier than they can provide. Mostly indies and docs. Getting the rights so far has not been a problem since they are talking directly to the filmmakers in most cases. The issue is that even with the filmmakers enthusiastic consent, they are only able to provide DCPs which as of now we can’t handle. I’m not sure why they can only provide DCPs (maybe fear of file copying?) but that’s the impasse we’re at.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:40:26 PM »

Your assumption is correct. They are using Swank now but are interested in getting films earlier than they can provide. Mostly indies and docs. Getting the rights so far has not been a problem since they are talking directly to the filmmakers in most cases. The issue is that even with the filmmakers enthusiastic consent, they are only able to provide DCPs which as of now we can’t handle. I’m not sure why they can only provide DCPs (maybe fear of file copying?) but that’s the impasse we’re at.

Have you seen this?  The problem I see is you still need to have an HDCP compliant signal chain.

https://www.neodcp.com/features-and-prices/
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steven Cohen

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »

Brian,

Here are two links that may be helpful. The first link is to a DCP conversion system used and developed by an art cinema near me called Proludio,
http://proludio.com/about

The second link is to a forum called Film-Tech, which is a forum for digital projection professionals. They may be able to provide additional information,
http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/firstaccess1543413967.html

Steve

A client has asked me to price out a system that can playback DCP films. I don’t know much about this format but it looks like these are delivered on hard drives that are “ingested” into a specialized server that decodes and plays back the proprietary film file.

Quick searches look like these systems are mostly designed for theater installs and cost upwards of $30k. This is for a roving once a month film screening non-profit so that figure is out of the question but was wondering if there are other cheaper options, possibly software based? Right now we only need 1080p output on HDMI but willing to put a dual-link SDI card in the projector if necessary. Budget is $5k tops.

David Buckley

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »

To show DCI movies, one has to be fully DCI compliant.  This isn't just an encryption standard, it is a set of requirements that a complete system much adhere to to be compliant.

To do this properly is just possible on a $5K budget.  Or even a $50K budget.

You might be able to exhibit indy DCPs if your indy distributors are sufficiently uncaring, using a software tool such as NeodDCP, but the big guys will require you to specify the make and serial number of your IMB to generate keys, and when you say something other than a name like Barco or Christie they'll be impolite.

Non-encrypted DCPs can be converted to "ordinary" video files I believe.

Brian Larson

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies. If it is just possible to do this on a $5k budget, what would a bare bones system like that consist of? Is there a used market for DCP equipment? All of the manufacturer literature I can find is pretty vague on the details.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »

Brian,

Here are two links that may be helpful. The first link is to a DCP conversion system used and developed by an art cinema near me called Proludio,
http://proludio.com/about

The second link is to a forum called Film-Tech, which is a forum for digital projection professionals. They may be able to provide additional information,
http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/firstaccess1543413967.html

Steve

We have a proludio system...  it works well for the rare film we can’t get another way.  The GUI is functional but reminds me of AOL in the 90s...

It would be difficult for it to be portable because of the need to download content and verify license files but they may have a solution. Their tech guy is super collaborative.  We worked to try to get our proludio server working via Dante and they were all in to help us with that.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »

Something about this doesn’t make sense.  We can get blu-Ray from most distributors... and if the film maker is involved and it is a indie or
Doc - and they attend we often get a hard drive with a prores or h264 on it...

There are options between swank and dcp. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.