ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Solid DVD/BluRay playback  (Read 3219 times)

Brian Larson

Rock Solid DVD/BluRay playback
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »

What systems are folks using for mission critical DVD and BluRay playback in live settings? Interested to hear options for hardware units or software systems.

Would love to have a screen showing elapsed/remaining time, be able to cue a certain point to start from, remove all OSDs etc. An external wired big button simple “GO” remote would be nice too.

Right now 1080p on HDMI is all I require but future-proof connections would be good. 5.1 discrete outputs would also be a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Rock Solid DVD/BluRay playback
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »

Not the answer you want, but my foolproof process involves pulling the VOD of the disc and having Handbrake convert it into something QLab can decode and play.

Solves the reliability issues and gives me one-button play with no worries about OSDs.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jordan Wolf

Rock Solid DVD/BluRay playback
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »

I don’t trust optical discs for video in a live setting.

I rip the content and use Qlab, Playback Pro+, etc. for playback.

Do be aware: Blu-ray probably requires HDCP compliance, so the whole chain will have to be compliant or you get...nothing. Well...maybe a black screen, warning message, digital snow, etc.

Denon/Marantz used to make a pro-grade Blu-ray player, but I still prefer something not disc-based. Any good system will prevent spin down, but DVDs and Blu-rays are still meant for the consumer market.

Any copyrighted material that can be shown in a public setting will most likely be delivered as standalone media and not a consumer style disc with menus, extras, etc.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:52:25 PM by Jordan Wolf »
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Brian Larson

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »

HDCP is the only reason I haven’t tried ripping it and playing back through QLab. Hardware would be a MBP with HDMI out split into a booth monitor and the projector. Would that signal chain pass HDCP? I assumed any commercial movie discs wouldn’t like that.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 07:17:59 AM »

HDCP is the only reason I haven’t tried ripping it and playing back through QLab. Hardware would be a MBP with HDMI out split into a booth monitor and the projector. Would that signal chain pass HDCP? I assumed any commercial movie discs wouldn’t like that.

I use Make MKV to rip BD and DVD.  I don’t use handbrake because I don’t want to re-compress it, I just want the file stripped from the disk with no encryption.  Handbrake takes a lot longer which sometimes is a problem.  I’ve never had an AACS problem ripping BD using the latest version of Make MKV.

FYI though macs usually have HDCP on the HDMI port all the time even when not playing encrypted content.  Most pro systems just ignore it but YMMV.  I’ve successfully dealt with HDCP from macs many times by using decimator MH-HX or going straight into an analog way ascender.

David Buckley

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »

The hardware player of choice for DVD/Blu-Ray alternative content at cinemas is the Oppo.  With a bit of external interfacing, I believe it can do all the things you want.

Unfortunately, the market for good players is quite small so Oppo ceased production.  The next worst alternative are Panasonic players, which allow OSD removal.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.