ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Small church audio suggestions  (Read 6740 times)

Eileen Krause

Small church audio suggestions
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:04:48 PM »

Hi Friends,
I got great help from this community for another church project a couple years back and so here I am again looking for ideas, input.
Here's the basics:

--Church is a historic 1890's/landmark building that required major structural, foundation work in order to preserve it and continue to use it.
-- We recently completed an 8 year 1.5M capital campaign and restoration that stretched the pockets of us 300 members.
 -- Church service is in the round.   Readings (lay people) and sermon (pastor) are done at the lectern position.
 -- Church sanctuary dimensions=  50' by 44'
-- There is no"worship" band or mic'd singers.  Small choir- 10 people, voices carry quite well in the space.
-- For the last 10 years we have done fine not mic'ing the pastor during the service at the altar.  Because service is in the round--  Pastor is fairly close to all the pews and her voice carries quite well.  But we now have lots and lots of children and so our 9:00 service is much "noisier" and so a lav mic for the pastor- for reinforcement would be good.
-- Note: Pastor will not wear a headset- so must use lav. 

--  Currently we have Shure lectern mic and we have two  EV  EVID 6.2 speakers hung on wooden beam above the lectern (see picture) and they are back to back, pointing east and west and "somewhat" downward towards the pews.  They are mounted @ 15' high.

-- This has worked well for the lay readings and sermon.  Actually the pastor could orate/project enough for sermon even without the mic. But the mic offers "support"
and is necessary for shy lay readers who mumble..  It's also quite transparent to the listeners because the sound "feels" like it is coming from where the person speaking is.

-- For power I have used (NO LAUGHING now--please) a Yamaha 6 channel powered mixer.
This gave me the flexibility to use it for youth group in the parish hall when they have karaoke or band practice ( I have 2 Yamaha 12" speaker cabs on sticks in the hall)  This thing has been indestructible- 13 years of being banged around and abused and still works.

-- BUT NOW that the church is renovated- I want to upgrade/install a system.  We have consistent packed room and lots of kid noise etc during early service- so that is problem now.  (a lively church is a GOOD problem!)

-- More of the members are now hard of hearing and so intelligibilty is key-- and down the road we may want to do hearing assistance in the sanctuary.

--The system must be set and forget.  There is no tech team every Sunday-  the pastor needs to turn it on and turn on her wireless pack and go.

-- The system cannot "interfere" visually with the architecture.

So-- I'm thinking along lines of a QSC power amp, eq and a simple 6 channel analog mixer-  but keep going in circles regarding speakers-- placement..  what and where to place-   Service in the round is tricky.
I appreciate ideas-- please be gentle as I'm a willing listener and appreciate learning from those who have experience in smaller scale projects like this.
Thanks in advance.     I will post picture and dimensions too.

[/size]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:45:58 AM by Eileen Krause »

Eileen Krause

Re: Small church audio suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:38 PM »

Here's picture of sanctuary and quick dimensions.  thanks.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »

I would consider a matched pair of the EVID on the left to allow me to reduce the level on the right.  Providing even coverage.  I would consider a digital mixer like the Midas  Air for less than 900.  Its scene setup would allow you recall and give you channel EQ,  Dynamics control.  Control by tablet.  Load up an Amazon Fire tablet with Mixing station configured to easly control.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »

Alternatively, if you wanted to upgrade the new Danley Mini-180 looks like a good fit.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Eileen Krause

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »

Jerome,
Thank you so much for the input.  I had considered matching pair on the other side.  Was second guessing myself- thinking how it could it be so simple!  The digital mixer idea is something I'm still weighing out. While it would be great for me-- 
  The system is not monitored by anyone on Sundays... and keeping it simple is essential.  Usher turns on the rack and the lectern mic knob volume level is clearly marked etc.. thanks again for input!

Eileen Krause

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:51:27 AM »

Alternatively, if you wanted to upgrade the new Danley Mini-180 looks like a good fit.
Nathan,
Wow..those look amazing.  Depending on price point they look like they could be a great solution.   The service in the round is an interesting challenge! Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 01:18:02 PM »

Nothing wrong with a powered mixer if it meets your needs.  A lot to be said for keeping things simple.  My concern would be if your mixer could drive 2 x 4 ohm loads.  The Mini-180 is a 4 ohm box.  What model mixer are you running?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 04:22:47 PM »

Nothing wrong with a powered mixer if it meets your needs.  A lot to be said for keeping things simple.  My concern would be if your mixer could drive 2 x 4 ohm loads.  The Mini-180 is a 4 ohm box.  What model mixer are you running?

Good point, I think I'd be under the assumption it would be a bit more involved (just a bit) of an install than 'put speakers on the wall'

Nathan,
Wow..those look amazing.  Depending on price point they look like they could be a great solution.   The service in the round is an interesting challenge! Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated

Message Mike Pyle or me or post a thing in the marketplace saying "WTB: Danley Mini-180"

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Eileen Krause

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »

Thanks for this feedback.  I've been under the weather and now it's Xmas pageant time - I will return to this after I recover from the chaos.  Your input has not gone unread. TY.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »

Thanks for this feedback.  I've been under the weather and now it's Xmas pageant time - I will return to this after I recover from the chaos.  Your input has not gone unread. TY.

Good deal, good luck, Godspeed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.