Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Gooseneck Mic - Telex EGM-40Q replacement?

<< < (2/2)

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: drew gandy on November 28, 2018, 12:05:00 pm ---That's a good reason.  Brand new they are pretty expensive. 

What's wrong with the old one?  Will Telex repair it? 

Also, I've seen EV PC mics go for wildly varying prices on ebay.  Even NIB ones.

--- End quote ---

Telex was acquired by Bosch. I deal with Bosch on an almost weekly basis for my day job. I don't have any desire whatsoever to bark up that tree.

As a reseller, they are already getting a decent deal compared to MAP.

I was notified they do not use the mic switch.

These seem comparable:
EV         RE90P-18   
AT        U857Q
Shure    MX418/C
Shure    CVG18-B/C

drew gandy:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on November 28, 2018, 01:06:50 pm ---Telex was acquired by Bosch. I deal with Bosch on an almost weekly basis for my day job. I don't have any desire whatsoever to bark up that tree.
--- End quote ---
I would contact EV support and see if they can help.   

--- Quote ---As a reseller, they are already getting a decent deal compared to MAP.

--- End quote ---
Who is "they"?  If the city council is a Telex/EV/Dynacord reseller, then I'm not sure what to think about this situation. 

--- Quote ---I was notified they do not use the mic switch.

--- End quote ---
Aha.  Then you have lots more choices. 

--- Quote ---These seem comparable:
EV         RE90P-18
--- End quote ---
No experience and appears to use a different capsule than PC.   

--- Quote ---AT        U857Q
--- End quote ---
I always liked the 857. It's a neutral and well behaved mic.

--- Quote ---Shure    MX418/C
--- End quote ---
Shure 185 capsule. Kind of the SM58 of talking head AV.  I think their windscreen is mediocre compared to the EV and AT ones. They can sputter badly with windy talkers. Of course, if we're honest, all these mics have windscreen/plosive issues. The 185 sound quality is overall pretty good.

--- Quote ---Shure    CVG18-B/C
--- End quote ---
  Not sure what capsule this uses but assume 185. 

Be aware that the Shure mics are usually much higher in sensitivity than the EV.  Not sure about the AT mics.  It's been a while since I've used them and I'm not inclined to look up the spec sheet. 

This is my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. 

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: drew gandy on November 28, 2018, 02:54:17 pm ---I would contact EV support and see if they can help.   

--- End quote ---

Seems as though the press release was correct in that Bosch acquired Telex, EV, etc
I just don't like their call center, endless redirects and they hang up on me regularly  >:(

They said the RE90 was the only alternative if the PC wasn't an option.

--- Quote from: drew gandy on November 28, 2018, 02:54:17 pm ---
Who is "they"?  If the city council is a Telex/EV/Dynacord reseller, then I'm not sure what to think about this situation. 
Aha.  Then you have lots more choices. 

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I'm the reseller. I gave them a good solid competitive price. I failed at using the written English language there  :-[

--- Quote from: drew gandy on November 28, 2018, 02:54:17 pm ---No experience and appears to use a different capsule than PC.
I always liked the 857. It's a neutral and well behaved mic.

Shure 185 capsule. Kind of the SM58 of talking head AV.  I think their windscreen is mediocre compared to the EV and AT ones. They can sputter badly with windy talkers. Of course, if we're honest, all these mics have windscreen/plosive issues. The 185 sound quality is overall pretty good.   Not sure what capsule this uses but assume 185. 

Be aware that the Shure mics are usually much higher in sensitivity than the EV.  Not sure about the AT mics.  It's been a while since I've used them and I'm not inclined to look up the spec sheet. 

--- End quote ---

Good to have your experience. I have very little in the way of gooseneck mics.

That's my job, thanks!

FWIW seems all the newer mics have higher sensitivities (given my cursory glance at the spec sheets for the mics in question).

--- Quote from: drew gandy on November 28, 2018, 02:54:17 pm ---This is my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

--- End quote ---

Worth a lot in my eyes :)

I'll give them these two options:
RE90

Thanks!

Nathan Riddle:
Just to wrap this thread up.

RE90 was the choice.

Thanks for the help Drew!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page