ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ambient mics for video feed  (Read 3315 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Ambient mics for video feed
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »

I need to add some room/ambient noise to a video feed.  I've read the threads on ambient mics for IEM's-just still tossing around some ideas.

I've considered either a mic or mic(s) on stage facing audience, or hanging choir style mics about 2/3rds of the way back in the room (about 40 ft from platform). Leaning towards hanging mics-but I am asking to learn, not to justify my preference.

The mics I have are directional, so they should reject a lot of the FOH sound.  I am also concerned about reflections off the back walls if mics are placed on stage as well as excessive stage noise at times.

Preference for one or multiple?

For now this is for a live theatrical style performance-but may become a permanent service live feed-services are more traditional as far as music and content.
Steve Swaffer

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Ambient mics for video feed
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »

We have a pair of Audio Technica Pro40's hung about 1/3rd of the way back from the front edge of the stage. This is a 600 cap room.

I have a completely seperate broadcast mixer and we lower the audience mics during the song and bring them up at the end.

Check it out.....

https://youtu.be/RKGKhE9_YBA
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:04:08 PM »

I'd go stereo, or even 4 if very wide (L, R, L, R).  Even if the main speaker system is mono.

The little hanging choir mics, black or white , work well. 

About 1/4 of the way back from stage, out of the hottest speaker paths.  Audience voices are muddy from above or behind.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 09:18:45 PM »

I need to add some room/ambient noise to a video feed.  I've read the threads on ambient mics for IEM's-just still tossing around some ideas.

I've considered either a mic or mic(s) on stage facing audience, or hanging choir style mics about 2/3rds of the way back in the room (about 40 ft from platform). Leaning towards hanging mics-but I am asking to learn, not to justify my preference.

The mics I have are directional, so they should reject a lot of the FOH sound.  I am also concerned about reflections off the back walls if mics are placed on stage as well as excessive stage noise at times.

For now this is for a live theatrical style performance-but may become a permanent service live feed-services are more traditional as far as music and content.

What is the intended purpose of these mics?

If it is for audience reaction (applause) to be included in a broadcast or record mix I would start with a couple placed physically near the main PA pointed out at the audience. The reason you want them near the PA is so any PA audio they do pick up will be very close in time to the direct sound and will not sound like an echo, it will seem to be masked by the direct sound. You will still want to ride the level for big applause moments, but you won't have to take it out entirely so you won't miss any unexpected audience reaction.

If it is to attempt to get audience participation in recitations or choral moments you may want to hang more mics over the audience at several depths, maybe 2 or 3 rows of 3 or 4 mics. You will want them on a VCA/DCA so it is easy to mix them in and out as you will likely not be able to leave them on all the time.

Mac

Bob Ramsay

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »

We have a small 250 seat Theatre and when we are recording a performance where the actors are not mic'd we use the Shure Centaverse hanging mics above our stage and one above the audience for reaction. They work well for us.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898866-REG/shure_cvo_b_c_centaverse_overhead_cardioid.html 

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »

What is the intended purpose of these mics?

Primarily to include audience response and reaction in the live feed-and when doing theatrical performances to include some of the stage ambience that is not mic's or pre-recorded.

Thanks to all for the responses-several things were mentioned that I did not know/consider.
Steve Swaffer

Matthias McCready

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »

Primarily to include audience response and reaction in the live feed-and when doing theatrical performances to include some of the stage ambience that is not mic's or pre-recorded.

Thanks to all for the responses-several things were mentioned that I did not know/consider.

One of the facilities I work at uses multiband compression on the audience mics, which engages as the output of the main PA increases. This mitigates most of the PA noise from getting in and gives a good feel for their streaming experience.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.