ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Sb900 battery and a QLXD mic walk into a garage...  (Read 1843 times)

Loren Miller

A Sb900 battery and a QLXD mic walk into a garage...
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »

First winter with the sb900 batteries in play and I’ve noticed it taking a toll on the charge(to be expected), when put away almost full in my storage area (garage).

You guys taking them inside?

Only 1 gig in Jan/Feb (the poor zone) so far for me any storage tips I need to be aware of?

Thx

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: A Sb900 battery and a QLXD mic walk into a garage...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »

They do seem to be sensitive to the cold. We had a late-season outdoor gig a few weeks ago, and our SBRC unit showed "COLD" on the display for the batteries and wouldn't charge them.

Ambient temperature was about 25F.

If you don't need them, I'd probably bring them inside and keep 'em in a comfy location.

Loren Miller

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »

They do seem to be sensitive to the cold. We had a late-season outdoor gig a few weeks ago, and our SBRC unit showed "COLD" on the display for the batteries and wouldn't charge them.

Ambient temperature was about 25F.

If you don't need them, I'd probably bring them inside and keep 'em in a comfy location.

Scary— guess the AA will never leave the bag!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »

It's fairly well known that cold temperature reduces the current flow from a battery. Shouldn't be a big surprise, since it's all based on chemical reactions.

Ade Stuart

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »

First winter with the sb900 batteries in play and I’ve noticed it taking a toll on the charge(to be expected), when put away almost full in my storage area (garage).

You guys taking them inside?

Only 1 gig in Jan/Feb (the poor zone) so far for me any storage tips I need to be aware of?

Thx

I don't know how cold your winters are but state of charge may have a more significant affect on battery health. Li-ion batteries don't like being stored at full or very low SOC. Around 40% SOC may be optimal.

Lots of bedtime reading at https://batteryuniversity.com/

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
A Sb900 battery and a QLXD mic walk into a garage...
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »

I don't know how cold your winters are but state of charge may have a more significant affect on battery health. Li-ion batteries don't like being stored at full or very low SOC. Around 40% SOC may be optimal.

Lots of bedtime reading at https://batteryuniversity.com/

I have not got the ‘cold’ warning yet. This is my first winter with SBRC and I checked to see if it would give me any warnings last night around 34, but it didn’t (I didn’t actually charge, just checked to see if it would). I use the storage charge feature in the SBRC all the time. I wish Shure would add the ability to set a specific state of charge, such as 90%. This would be enough runtime for many applications and doing this often as opposed to charging to 100% would help me increase cycle life. This seems possible with a firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ade Stuart

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »

Just saw this in the SBRC guide
"Recommended battery storage temperature is 0°C (10°F) to 25°C (77°F)"

We have a Nissan Leaf at home so I'm quite interested in battery longevity

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.