ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what's a good replacement for JBL EON 10 G2  (Read 3781 times)

Kurt Hutchison

what's a good replacement for JBL EON 10 G2
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:42:44 PM »

We have these, along with an M32, and PM16 monitoring system, so we use them as on-stage monitors.

They are the best because:
- small, 10", not overpowered at 200W, won't destroy you if feedback happens.
- multi-angle, upright, wedge (or the best position of all) tilt-back about 30 degrees - this is the important part.

It seems that most speakers can go wedge or upright, but the tilt-back feature seems to have disappeared.

My trouble (or joy) is I get to spec our new sound system, in a new (smaller) hall, and these units aren't ours so we won't be taking them with us when we move, but I cannot find anything like them made any more.

The small 10", tilt-back cabinet design is simply the best for small stages and is the key feature I am looking for, and I can't find anything like that, anyone have any ideas?

I need 6, I suppose I could just start buying all the used ones I can find.

Or my other good option is possibly the behringer b210d, its wedge, but smallish.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:07:06 PM by Kurt Hutchison »

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: what's a good replacement for JBL EON 10 G2
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »

We have these, along with an M32, and PM16 monitoring system, so we use them as on-stage monitors.

- multi-angle, upright, wedge (or the best position of all) tilt-back about 30 degrees - this is the important part.

It seems that most speakers can go wedge or upright, but the tilt-back feature seems to have disappeared.

My trouble (or joy) is I get to spec our new sound system, in a new (smaller) hall, and these units aren't ours so we won't be taking them with us when we move, but I cannot find anything like them made any more.

The small 10", tilt-back cabinet design is simply the best for small stages and is the key feature I am looking for, and I can't find anything like that, anyone have any ideas?

Or my other good option is possibly the behringer b210d, its wedge, but smallish.

Since you are using Ultranet already, and because I like mine, I would recommend the Turbosound iQ series. They are a step up from the EON and much better than the B210D. They are Ultranet equipped so you could just add them to the P16 feed.

Kurt Hutchison

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »

Small, light, and cheap, that's the desire.

I think the IQ series gets kicked out for multiple reasons.

I've looked at the 8" PA"s, and not much to choose from there, so I think I have to go 10".  We mostly run acoustic guitar and vocals with relatively low stage volumes, which gives me a lot of wiggle room in what I can choose.

The Yamaha DBR-10 might work, I've worked with DXR's, DBR's, and QSC K's (no K2's yet), so those are known quantities to me.

DBR-10's pros are light (22 lbs), cheapish ($400 ea), and Yamaha quality.
Cons are it is a bit muddy down low, especially when driven hard (but we don't really do that anyway).

Maybe I need to go with monitor stands to get the tilt instead, but that adds complexity to our setup, or just let everyone use wedge-style, if we have to make that work I expect we can.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:14:18 PM by Kurt Hutchison »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »

Do a search here on the Alto SXM12s.  Smaller foot print than an Eon10, much less feedback prone due to a more neutral midrange and being coax (less change in response as a mic moves off axis).  Less money, coated wood box instead of plastic, but still I think lighter than Eon10s from what I remember.  Singe wedge angle but it's far more useful in the small stage situations a small monitor is going to get used in.  Points up at the vocalist instead of back at the drummer.  Doesn't attempt the scooped DJ sound, instead has a midrange that gets the vocals up above the stage noise where a singer can tell what they're doing.

I have four of them and wouldn't trade them for anything less than twice the price DXR10s, which still need blocks to get the right angle.  Some day I'd like to have some of the Db Audio coax wedges.  But until then, the Altos punch way above their weight.

I have a DBR10.  It's better than the JBL, but not by a lot.  Smoother midrange but still sounds like a low cost plastic box.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 08:36:02 PM »

Do a search here on the Alto SXM12s.  Smaller foot print than an Eon10, much less feedback prone due to a more neutral midrange and being coax (less change in response as a mic moves off axis).  Less money, coated wood box instead of plastic, but still I think lighter than Eon10s from what I remember.  Singe wedge angle but it's far more useful in the small stage situations a small monitor is going to get used in.  Points up at the vocalist instead of back at the drummer.  Doesn't attempt the scooped DJ sound, instead has a midrange that gets the vocals up above the stage noise where a singer can tell what they're doing.

I have four of them and wouldn't trade them for anything less than twice the price DXR10s, which still need blocks to get the right angle.  Some day I'd like to have some of the Db Audio coax wedges.  But until then, the Altos punch way above their weight.

I have a DBR10.  It's better than the JBL, but not by a lot.  Smoother midrange but still sounds like a low cost plastic box.

+1 for Stephen's comments.  Unfortunately, these have been discontinued for a while.  If you've got them, hang on to them!

Steve Crump

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »

RCF HD10A might work.

Jay Marr

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 09:17:01 PM »

Small, light, and cheap, that's the desire.

I think the IQ series gets kicked out for multiple reasons.

I've looked at the 8" PA"s, and not much to choose from there, so I think I have to go 10".  We mostly run acoustic guitar and vocals with relatively low stage volumes, which gives me a lot of wiggle room in what I can choose.

The Yamaha DBR-10 might work, I've worked with DXR's, DBR's, and QSC K's (no K2's yet), so those are known quantities to me.

DBR-10's pros are light (22 lbs), cheapish ($400 ea), and Yamaha quality.
Cons are it is a bit muddy down low, especially when driven hard (but we don't really do that anyway).

Maybe I need to go with monitor stands to get the tilt instead, but that adds complexity to our setup, or just let everyone use wedge-style, if we have to make that work I expect we can.

Having owned those EON 10's and having heard Turbo IQ8's driven to the point of clipping....I would take those Turbo's any day of the week.
They're clearer and louder.  EON G2 was good back in the day, but the newer boxes with modern DSP are just much clearer.
FWIW, I liked the IQ8 better than the IQ10.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 10:01:40 PM »

Having owned those EON 10's and having heard Turbo IQ8's driven to the point of clipping....I would take those Turbo's any day of the week.
They're clearer and louder.  EON G2 was good back in the day, but the newer boxes with modern DSP are just much clearer.

I have a soft spot for the old eon10's. I used to have a few of them and they were MUCH better than they should be. I always preferred them to their 15" counterparts by miles. I agree the wedge angle options were great on those things. However, todays speakers are superior in sound and SPL.
I'd get one of the suggestions here or similar.
I have a DXR8 we use as a stage monitor ( placed on a lightweight tripod) for the guitarist who is old school - everyone else in the band is iem.
Coming from an EON 10 I think you'd be happy with something like this.

BTW- I do see the EON10's used from time to time but the asking price is always too high - so maybe put that money into newer technology.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »

I prefer the iQ8 as well, but they lack a monitor angle. I have a pair and use them for all kinds of stuff. They still surprise me when I push them hard.

Al Poulin

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »

Have you tried the Yorkville NX10C :

http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/nx/product/nx10c/

Basically a 12" cube (very compact) coaxial full range speaker. Does have a monitor position (tilt back) and can be mounted in the middle of a speaker stand too if desired. Very flexible.

Al
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.