ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Al's Yamaha DXS12 MKII active subwoofer review  (Read 8692 times)

Al Poulin

Al's Yamaha DXS12 MKII active subwoofer review
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:06:56 AM »

Hey guys,

Haven't done a speaker review in a while, but got a chance to test the new (and improved) MKII versions of the DXS12s I've been using for many years. While I didn't notice a huge difference sound wise, the many added features (variable high-passed outputs, 7 lb weight loss, cardioid mode, locking IEC cords, available casters and covers, more durable finish) might make me upgrade to these in the very near future. I used the pair at a few events so far, and while you can't expect the deeper LF performance that more expensive 15s or 18s can provide, these 12'' active subs provide surprisingly competent performance in many situations and I've honestly never felt them lacking in any way for my (mostly) smaller events 100-250 people. So much better than 15s on sticks IMO. There's always the DXS18s if you play lots of bass heavy music for larger groups of course. For me, the DXS12s have always represented a terrific price to performance ratio - especially when considering the 7 year warranty... Next up to test : the DZR tops, if I can get my hands on some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akFffwB3R8w&feature=youtu.be
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Scott Bolt

Re: Al's Yamaha DXS12 MKII active subwoofer review
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »

Hey guys,

Haven't done a speaker review in a while, but got a chance to test the new (and improved) MKII versions of the DXS12s I've been using for many years. While I didn't notice a huge difference sound wise, the many added features (variable high-passed outputs, 7 lb weight loss, cardioid mode, locking IEC cords, available casters and covers, more durable finish) might make me upgrade to these in the very near future. I used the pair at a few events so far, and while you can't expect the deeper LF performance that more expensive 15s or 18s can provide, these 12'' active subs provide surprisingly competent performance in many situations and I've honestly never felt them lacking in any way for my (mostly) smaller events 100-250 people. So much better than 15s on sticks IMO. There's always the DXS18s if you play lots of bass heavy music for larger groups of course. For me, the DXS12s have always represented a terrific price to performance ratio - especially when considering the 7 year warranty... Next up to test : the DZR tops, if I can get my hands on some!

Hi Al,

Kind of disappointing that the new model didn't improve on output.  Did the specs say that it would?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the review Al.  When you tried the subs live at the show were they coupled together in the center or L/R below the tops?  I'm guessing you used 100hz as your crossover point at the show but did you use a different frequency?

Kindest Regards;

Douglas R. Allen

Al Poulin

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »

Hi Al,

Kind of disappointing that the new model didn't improve on output.  Did the specs say that it would?

The MKII likely does provide more output as Yamaha states, but I just didn't get the subs up to limit in my testing or comparing. I've only rarely seen the limit lights on my V1s blink - and by that time my ears could tell the subs were at the limits of what they could do :) As mentionned, I find the limit lights blink just a little too late, when the speaker (be it Yamaha tops or subs) are audibly starting to struggle. This may however give the user the impression of more output when comparing to another manufacture's box who's limit lights are set to trigger earlier - think Yorkville. (The new EF12Ps for example limit WAY too early IMO. I must have gotten an extra 10DBs out of them before active limiting was audible...)

I don't doubt the MKIIs are capable of a few more DBs than the V1s, but I unfortunately don't have the tools to properly measure this AND the ears to properly detect if the additional SPL is done using a sliding frequency filter in the processing (for example) that might eliminate those deeper lows at a given output simply to maximize possible SPL. What I mention in the review, is that I can't hear the extended LF response from 47hz in the V1s to 42hz in the MKIIs. Again, it's likely there but the difference is certainly not day and night as I wouldn't base a decision to upgrade based on just this. As for the output difference, I could certainly test this in the next few days. Maybe see if one sounds better when driven to the extremes of what it can do. I just don't like the sound of a woofer audibly bottoming out :)

Al
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Al Poulin

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »

Thanks for the review Al.  When you tried the subs live at the show were they coupled together in the center or L/R below the tops?  I'm guessing you used 100hz as your crossover point at the show but did you use a different frequency?

Kindest Regards;

Douglas R. Allen

To date, I've only used them for playback music (DJ applications) and they were under my DXR8 tops - as most DJs use them. I know of the benefits of coupling, but it's just not practical / as good looking at a wedding for example. I don't like using speaker stands in general as they present a tripping hazard. Using the subs as stands eliminates the tripping hazard and jus tlooks better. I usually cross over at 100hz. I would perhaps try 80hz with some 12s on tops but 100hz has always worked well for me.

Nick Andrews

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

I have a pair that I have been using for shoe box sized wedding band gigs. You know, the type of gigs were guests are literally right on top of the band and the band squeezes 10 - 12 or some other excessive amount of band members and gear in an insanely tight space, with horrible acoustics.  ;)

I ran them with my RCF NXL24a boxes on top of them and they do a good job for the size and price. They def have some sort of aggressive limiter / dsp happening  because I really have not been able to get them to clip, but you can tell they are out of gas when they get to that point.

I would say it is a good box but you have to remember what it is and not expect anything beyond that, It has good features for this form factory and price point. I Especially like the built in casters and the covers, very slick for easy in and out, and very light box to move around solo.  It's a band pass box and still sounds like one ( which is a bit ugly ) but it can be cleaned up.

Overall i'd say small DJ work, small live band reinforcement work,  100 guests - 200ish maybe MAX on the lower spl side, it will do no problem.

kel mcguire

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »

I have a pair of the DXS12 and rather like them for a lot of gigs where I thought they'd be too small. A couple K8, 10 or 12s over top makes for a nice system. Easy to pack. I do wonder how much more output the DXS15II might be

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »

I have some at the shop for dry hires and smaller gigs. Very impressed with them for the size. I've beat on them pretty good and have had them into the limiters. As mentioned, they just stop getting louder. I find the limiting to be fairly inaudible.
They get used with DXR10 and DZR12 depending on what I have available.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 05:45:15 AM »

I have a pair that I have been using for shoe box sized wedding band gigs. You know, the type of gigs were guests are literally right on top of the band and the band squeezes 10 - 12 or some other excessive amount of band members and gear in an insanely tight space, with horrible acoustics.  ;)

I ran them with my RCF NXL24a boxes on top of them and they do a good job for the size and price. They def have some sort of aggressive limiter / dsp happening  because I really have not been able to get them to clip, but you can tell they are out of gas when they get to that point.

I would say it is a good box but you have to remember what it is and not expect anything beyond that, It has good features for this form factory and price point. I Especially like the built in casters and the covers, very slick for easy in and out, and very light box to move around solo.  It's a band pass box and still sounds like one ( which is a bit ugly ) but it can be cleaned up.

Overall i'd say small DJ work, small live band reinforcement work,  100 guests - 200ish maybe MAX on the lower spl side, it will do no problem.

Nick;

Thanks for your input. When you use them under the yamaha's do you use a pole into the sub or your tops on tripods with the subs under or center clustered?
Your RCF's are a high output, quality box and weigh in around 55/60lbs or so. If you sub-top mount them from the subs pole mount how were they as far as being stable?  Did you feel they may be pushed over or did the seem stable enough?   I'm sure the subs ran out of gas before the tops but a rough idea how much headroom you had left in the tops?  Could it be the clip light on the subs is on the input and not the power amp output side , maybe 22dbu etc?
    Why I'm asking I have the baby sister to your RCF's. Db Technologies IG4T's and although I have some larger subs that work fine for what I'm doing I'd like some smaller ones for smaller shows (50 - 100 people ) to put under them pole mounted.  Great for small shows and add my larger subs in the center for bigger ones. The IG4T's are 40lbs.

Thanks for any information;

Douglas R. Allen

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »

I've put my DSR112 on a pole over my DXR12 and felt comfortable with it.  As Nick says, tripods get tripped over by drunks unless they're well blocked off by things.  The subs make for a neater presentation.  I've used a K10 over it and seen folks bump into it.  I worried about the poles getting bent, but not it falling over.

Wes Garland

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »

Hey, Al!

Thanks for the review!  I mixed on a set of mk1s with DXR tops the other night...long narrow room, 80 seat cap, sounded amazing.

I like the look of these subs...cardioid mode built in is handy, less math on the mixer. EV is shipping subs like that now, too.

Are the old subs a bandpass design?  They didn't sound like it, but I wasn't pushing them hard.  I looked at the mk2, cabinet design *screams* bandpass.

Any idea what the sound quality / output for a pair is like compared to a Yorkville PSA2S?   That's the current contender for my next purchase, but it's a bit too heavy for me (back problems).   The PSA2S really solves the van-tetris problem, though.

Wes

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 10:20:13 PM »

Yes, the "old ones" are band pass.  But it's not a super high Q one note wonder.  My main use for mine is as part of a drum monitor so a one note wonder wouldn't be terrible.  But I've used it a couple of times under both K10s and the DSRs (not running hard) and it sounded musical.

Al Poulin

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »

Hey, Al!

Thanks for the review!  I mixed on a set of mk1s with DXR tops the other night...long narrow room, 80 seat cap, sounded amazing.

I like the look of these subs...cardioid mode built in is handy, less math on the mixer. EV is shipping subs like that now, too.

Are the old subs a bandpass design?  They didn't sound like it, but I wasn't pushing them hard.  I looked at the mk2, cabinet design *screams* bandpass.

Any idea what the sound quality / output for a pair is like compared to a Yorkville PSA2S?   That's the current contender for my next purchase, but it's a bit too heavy for me (back problems).   The PSA2S really solves the van-tetris problem, though.

Wes

Hey Wes! Haven't tried the PSA2S, unfortunately. Personally, while the DXS12 MKIIs are indeed bandpass boxes, I find they sound just fine - especially in X-TENDED LF mode, with music anyway. I find they sound more musical than the Yorkvlle LS701P I used to own, while maybe not quite as musical as my LS720P. The LS720P went into limit way too quickly IMO however. The Yamahas seem to be designed to get as much output as possible before blinking the limit LED. By the time they do blink, the box is audibly at its limits however... I simply love my Yamaha DXR and DXS cabs however. I don't have to "babysit" the limit lights all night :)

Al

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.