ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SQ6 powered by car transformer.  (Read 22134 times)

Robert Lunceford

Re: SQ6 powered by car transformer.
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »

I just took a quick look at the A&H website. Looks like you really need a DX168 if you want the better mic preamps and stay at 96k. If you use any of the other stage box, you may as well stay with the QU series as far as mic pres and sampling rate goes. Using any other stage box other than the DX168 defeats the purpose of having the SQ, sound quality wise.
You could always still run copper :)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2018, 10:04:03 PM »

I suppose I could place the board stage side to benefit from the pre's and use the app to mix instead. Most of what I need to run the show can be done from the iPad. Then I have access to the board when I need it.
Maybe a DX168 is in my future instead of another AB168.....

I sold my 100ft snake a few years ago and now I only have a 50ft and a couple of drop snakes.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »

I just took a quick look at the A&H website. Looks like you really need a DX168 if you want the better mic preamps and stay at 96k. If you use any of the other stage box, you may as well stay with the QU series as far as mic pres and sampling rate goes. Using any other stage box other than the DX168 defeats the purpose of having the SQ, sound quality wise.
You could always still run copper :)

I don't think you've stayed abreast of our sound quality discussions of late. There are a number of reasons to still get SQ more important than just sound quality too.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,169403.msg1562138.html#msg1562138
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,169382.0.html
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,144308.0.html
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »

I suppose I could place the board stage side to benefit from the pre's and use the app to mix instead. Most of what I need to run the show can be done from the iPad. Then I have access to the board when I need it.
Maybe a DX168 is in my future instead of another AB168.....

I sold my 100ft snake a few years ago and now I only have a 50ft and a couple of drop snakes.

The 50' and drop snakes will come in very handy if you run your mixer side stage.
When I have had to run side stage in the past, I daisy chain an active monitor from the closest FOH speaker. This way I can get a pretty good mix of instruments and vocals while at the board. I still go out front with the iPAD to verify the mix and set the proper level for the mains.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »

I don't think you've stayed abreast of our sound quality discussions of late. There are a number of reasons to still get SQ more important than just sound quality too.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,169403.msg1562138.html#msg1562138
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,169382.0.html
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,144308.0.html

You are correct Nathan, I stopped following most of the SQ threads as they are not compatible with the QU series, as far as sharing scenes. I carry a QU PAC as a backup for my QU series boards. The only way to back up an SQ is with another SQ.
I am already invested in the QU series. I like them and they serve my purposes very well.
I upped the sound quality of my QU by taking the AES out into a Waves MaxxBCL. Great sounding processor and most likely better D/A convertors than what is in the QU. The system sounds noticeably better with the Waves unit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:48:31 PM by Robert Lunceford »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2018, 01:16:05 AM »

The AB168 sounds fine. This is rock, not chamber music in a studio. Heck, the QU predates the AB168 by a bit so the A/D stuff may be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2018, 03:12:54 AM »

The AB168 sounds fine. This is rock, not chamber music in a studio. Heck, the QU predates the AB168 by a bit so the A/D stuff may be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As does the QU series sounds fine. But why move up to the SQ series at all if you are going to hook it up to a box that brings the mic pres and sampling rate back to the same quality as the QU?

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2018, 05:57:14 AM »

I’m curious - Did you ever try the car transformer? :-)

If not, then it is almost an must to try it out for us :-))

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »

As does the QU series sounds fine. But why move up to the SQ series at all if you are going to hook it up to a box that brings the mic pres and sampling rate back to the same quality as the QU?
Because of the superior abilities of the SQ, especially with regards to patching, processing, recording and console layout flexibilty.  Hooking up the AB168 doesn't negate the 96kHz internal sampling rate of the SQ. 
I've done a high-profile, mission-critical one-off show where I had to use both an AB168 box and the local inputs of an SQ and couldn't really discern a difference between the two types of inputs.  The event producers couldn't tell the difference either. 
If I had the time to compare the two inputs I might have been able to discern a difference, but that difference in sound "quality" because of SRC is not so vast that it is noticeable in a live throw-and-go situation. 
In short, I think Deb will be fine using the AB168 with her SQ until she can afford a DX168. 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »

My point in posting those links was the sound quality of QU stage box + SQ is still higher than QU stage box + QU simply because of the SQ's internals & algorithms being better.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.