ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SQ6 powered by car transformer.  (Read 22712 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: SQ6 powered by car transformer.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »

Yep.

But She already has A&H and is used to the workflow.

There isn't a higher sound quality board out there atm in the price range. So there's no downsides.

Yes this a natural step up for me from my QU series mixers. If today works out I’ll sell the QU16 :( but keep the QU PAC.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »

I disagree but you already know that.

You are not going to rain on my parade Kevin!   ;)
And Santa agrees...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »

Yes this a natural step up for me from my QU series mixers. If today works out I’ll sell the QU16 :( but keep the QU PAC.

Be aware that the QU series is not compatible with the SQ.
You can not save a scene on a SQ and transfer to a QU, and visa versa.
I was looking at the SQ but that was the deal breaker. I carry a QUPac as a back up to my QU mixer. I would of had to buy 2 SQ boards in order to have a primary and a viable backup solution.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »

Be aware that the QU series is not compatible with the SQ.
You can not save a scene on a SQ and transfer to a QU, and visa versa.
I was looking at the SQ but that was the deal breaker. I carry a QUPac as a back up to my QU mixer. I would of had to buy 2 SQ boards in order to have a primary and a viable backup solution.

Good point and having a back up to slot right in when a problem arises is a bonus. However, I stopped taking my QU16 to shows a while back and instead I take an XR18 as my back up board to my QU PAC. Sounds weird I know but the XR18 is a lot smaller and lighter than my cased QU16 and it means I can fit everything in the van a bit better...
I have all my presets ready to go so I’d just need to recapture levels so I can switch out just as quickly ( or almost). I don’t think the smaller shows would be adversely affected by this.
So with that in mind, the SQ would be used at the nicer shows, for recording and rehearsals. One day we might see a rack version of the SQ - the SQ PAC?..  and maybe l’ll get one of those too.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 12:30:56 PM »

You are not going to rain on my parade Kevin!   ;)
And Santa agrees...

I am not in any way trying to rain on your parade, in CT today precipitation would be freezing rain or snow.

I had an SQ6 on loan to me for about 2-3 months. I was asked by a dealer to check it out to see if it would be appropriate for a particular church. my basic conclusion was if it could be configured to work as they want it to and they would never have to change anything it might work. But they wouldn't be happy with the illogical way it works. Most of my complaints could be fixed with firmware up dates but not all of them. and I got the feeling that the firmware was written by people who have never mixed a show in there lifetime.

I am also a long time A&H user including the iLive for a few musicals. I would have to ask what if this board is so great is someone selling it used a a price that is that attractive to you. I have a lot of experience with digital consoles. I don't understand all of the hype for the SQ series. I don think it is a bad board I just don't thing it is complete yet. Check out the A&H forum and see what is being said over there.

BTW the sound company installed the SQ6 with my help in a room for board of education meetings and the setup will never change, for now.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »

Good point and having a back up to slot right in when a problem arises is a bonus. However, I stopped taking my QU16 to shows a while back and instead I take an XR18 as my back up board to my QU PAC. Sounds weird I know but the XR18 is a lot smaller and lighter than my cased QU16 and it means I can fit everything in the van a bit better...
I have all my presets ready to go so I’d just need to recapture levels so I can switch out just as quickly ( or almost). I don’t think the smaller shows would be adversely affected by this.
So with that in mind, the SQ would be used at the nicer shows, for recording and rehearsals. One day we might see a rack version of the SQ - the SQ PAC?..  and maybe l’ll get one of those too.
So you will still be using the XR18 and QUPac for the majority of your shows? I understand that you can have your basic scenes set up in both mixers for a quick switch out, for a band that you work with consistently.
Do you do many one-offs with bands you haven’t worked with before? This would be where the compatibility is crucial.
With a XR18, QUPac, and SQ, you will have 3 mixers that can’t share scenes for a quick switch out.
With the QU16 and QUPac you have that ability.
I would probably keep the QU 16 and get rid of the XR18.
If you don’t have room in the van for the QU16 and QUPAC, I don’t see how the SQ fits in as it is the largest of them all.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »

Debbie-

I think it's time for your GAS intervention...

Planned use, using in inappropriate places or situations, use as a reward....

Next you'll be hiding mixers around the house, secreting microphones and IEMs from Chris so he won't know how your disease has progressed. You need help.  Off the Betty Ford clinic with you, see you in 30 or 60 days.  /satire
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:58:59 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »

You guys.... so I just picked it up. Story is this and I saw the pictures and met the builder to prove it.
Back in January he lost his house and contents ( and 2 dogs) to a house fire. He is a musician - pretty good too - and lost all his PA, recording and musical equipment.  Extremely nice guy and good to know.
When the insurance paid out he decided to go digital being old school all these years - he’s an older guy. He couldn’t get used to it and really didn’t want to sell it but it was time and he wanted to sell before Xmas. He lives in a very rural area and priced it accordingly.
I would NOT have paid more than I did for this mixer but this was too good to pass up. I shouldn’t lose much with this investment so not worried at all.
Thanks all for the comments - gonna wait till I get home to play and spend this time traveling back looking at it.  BTW - Chris is driving ..LOL

One more thing..  Chris is my enabler. He admitted that he never knows what to buy me for Christmas and this was an easy solution for him. He really wanted me to have it and knows I’ll get a lot of pleasure from it. I was the one who started sweating when we handed over the cash.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 03:25:46 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »

Oh no - ya think?....

As long as you don't text.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »

Thanks all for the comments - gonna wait till I get home to play and spend this time traveling back looking at it.
Being an owner of a Qu16 and a user of an SQ5 I can tell you that the biggest workflow changes between the consoles is in patching and surface configuration. 
Any input (Local or SLink) can be patched to any fader (or even multiple faders, if I recall).  Any layer can be reconfigured (just like the Custom layer of the Qu series).  As of right now there is no channel-linking capabilities, although you can use any of the three Stereo Input channels to make a stereo pair of any mono input channels (starting with Odd numbered channels as the L channel). Outputs can be either Mono or Stereo pairs.  Definitely go through all of that.  It will save you time while on a gig.

Check the firmware version.  The latest firmware version is 1.3.  The previous version is 1.2.2.  There are some really big upgrades with version 1.3, so I recommend installing that if it is not already on the console. 
Download the latest User Reference Guide - https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_3_0.pdf
Also, to see all of the possible console-to-snake box and console-to-console connections (including SQ to QU)  download the SLink Connections Guide - https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_3_0.pdf 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.