ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SQ6 powered by car transformer.  (Read 8870 times)

Robert Lunceford

Re: SQ6 powered by car transformer.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 10:14:31 pm »

What are the features that are not on the QU that you now have on the SQ that you see as being most beneficial?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 11:43:42 pm »

What are the features that are not on the QU that you now have on the SQ that you see as being most beneficial?

Definitely double patch/more channels.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 11:56:35 pm »

Being an owner of a Qu16 and a user of an SQ5 I can tell you that the biggest workflow changes between the consoles is in patching and surface configuration. 
Any input (Local or SLink) can be patched to any fader (or even multiple faders, if I recall).  Any layer can be reconfigured (just like the Custom layer of the Qu series).  As of right now there is no channel-linking capabilities, although you can use any of the three Stereo Input channels to make a stereo pair of any mono input channels (starting with Odd numbered channels as the L channel). Outputs can be either Mono or Stereo pairs.  Definitely go through all of that.  It will save you time while on a gig.

Check the firmware version.  The latest firmware version is 1.3.  The previous version is 1.2.2.  There are some really big upgrades with version 1.3, so I recommend installing that if it is not already on the console. 
Download the latest User Reference Guide - https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_3_0.pdf
Also, to see all of the possible console-to-snake box and console-to-console connections (including SQ to QU)  download the SLink Connections Guide - https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_3_0.pdf

Thanks for the info Eric.... I have spent the whole evening messing with it and I still have along way to go but so far it is a nice board!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 12:22:17 am »

Definitely double patch/more channels.
Not sure what you mean by double patch.
Can you ďsplitĒ an input? Plug a mic into input one, assign the input to two separate faders and then process independently?
The SQ6 has 24 mic pres. In order to get more channels you would need an external expander, correct?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 12:28:58 am »

Not sure what you mean by double patch.
Can you ďsplitĒ an input? Plug a mic into input one, assign the input to two separate faders and then process independently?
The SQ6 has 24 mic pres. In order to get more channels you would need an external expander, correct?

Correct.

Is it not common terminology to say double patch? I thought it was, sorry.

Fully featured routing would be more appropriate terminology that sq has over qu I guess. The new v1.3 tielines are pretty schweet too.

Technically the qu could do it with a digital snake, but it wasn't possible for the local inputs.

Multiple custom layers is also a hugely nice to have along with scribble strips.

I kinda wish I went with the sq5 for the smaller formfactor but I wouldn't lose anything (except for some fairly useless imo rotary knobs)

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:09 am »

The custom layout of all of the layers is really nice. And it would be fantastic if those layers could be set and recalled in scenes. One of the features that I really like on the Avid console is the VCA spill but it isnít recallable in a scene. If the SQ could do something like that that would be nice.

The reverb for vocals, sound really nice to me. I think the number of included effects is rather limited though. The SQ has a lot of graphic EQs that come with it (I have no idea how the extra cost ones work) but to me the built in ones arenít as nice as the TruEQ that comes with the X32/M32 that is available in their effects slots. I ran a Smaart analysis of them both and the SQ EQs are between the X32/M32 standard graphic EQs and the TruEQ. The TruEQ end results are like a parametric EQ in that the filters are combined and smooth. The standard EQ in the X32/M32 have the traditional weird peaks and dips between filters as almost all graphic EQs do. The graphic EQs in the SQ mixers have those dips and peaks between filters but they are just a little bit less peaky and dippy. I donít know what the SQ Filters are based on.

The scribble strips on the SQ if I am remembering correctly are only 6 characters with no other images available to insert on them. I donít know if that will be something that can be expanded in a firmware update or if that is all that will ever be available. I also donít remember how many different colors they can be set to. I like that in the latest firmware update they added the dB readout to the assignable rotary controls with the display. That fixed my complaint that if you assigned that control to a fader that was on a different layer you couldnít see how much you were changing it, that was a nice update.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 11:55:50 am »

The custom layout of all of the layers is really nice. And it would be fantastic if those layers could be set and recalled in scenes. One of the features that I really like on the Avid console is the VCA spill but it isnít recallable in a scene. If the SQ could do something like that that would be nice.

The reverb for vocals, sound really nice to me. I think the number of included effects is rather limited though. The SQ has a lot of graphic EQs that come with it (I have no idea how the extra cost ones work) but to me the built in ones arenít as nice as the TruEQ that comes with the X32/M32 that is available in their effects slots. I ran a Smaart analysis of them both and the SQ EQs are between the X32/M32 standard graphic EQs and the TruEQ. The TruEQ end results are like a parametric EQ in that the filters are combined and smooth. The standard EQ in the X32/M32 have the traditional weird peaks and dips between filters as almost all graphic EQs do. The graphic EQs in the SQ mixers have those dips and peaks between filters but they are just a little bit less peaky and dippy. I donít know what the SQ Filters are based on.

The scribble strips on the SQ if I am remembering correctly are only 6 characters with no other images available to insert on them. I donít know if that will be something that can be expanded in a firmware update or if that is all that will ever be available. I also donít remember how many different colors they can be set to. I like that in the latest firmware update they added the dB readout to the assignable rotary controls with the display. That fixed my complaint that if you assigned that control to a fader that was on a different layer you couldnít see how much you were changing it, that was a nice update.

I agree with basically everything you said.

The layers can be recalled by scene, but I wish there was more granular control of the scene recall. Scene based filters instead of global. To me, the scene handling is vastly compromised compared to X32/M32. Hopefully that gets updated in the 1-2yr future...?

Effects are definitely limited. Hopefully some dLive/GLD ones come available along with MBC & De-Esser. Iíd really love if the dynamic EQ could replace the channel EQ, that would be cool. 48chís of DynEQ would be sick.

Iím sure the buyable plugins would be very nice, but iím With you...who cares about the 99 GEQís it has. Iíd rather have the ability to swap in a 10 band PEQ on the outputs. Which they absolutely could do, but I doubt it will happen. Thanks for looking at them with SMAART, good to know the differences.

W,B,R,G,B,Y,C,V. The X32/M32 inverse colors are very nice and I wish A&H would do something similar. Also, the character count & lack of other info on the scribble strip is annoying.
Iíve gone to using: K,Ki,S,Sb,T1,T2,T3,T4,OL,OR,B,Bi,E1,E1i,E2,A1,A2,V1,V2,V3,V4 for my patch list instead of names.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 12:28:35 pm »

Correct.

Is it not common terminology to say double patch? I thought it was, sorry.

Fully featured routing would be more appropriate terminology that sq has over qu I guess. The new v1.3 tielines are pretty schweet too.

Technically the qu could do it with a digital snake, but it wasn't possible for the local inputs.

Multiple custom layers is also a hugely nice to have along with scribble strips.

I kinda wish I went with the sq5 for the smaller formfactor but I wouldn't lose anything (except for some fairly useless imo rotary knobs)

I have GLD80s and a SQ5. The SQ5 replaced a Yamaha 01v96. Same form factor, much more mixer. Also, can add my stage boxes from the GLD.

With the new firmware, I am now completely happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 12:57:10 pm »

I agree with basically everything you said.

The layers can be recalled by scene, but I wish there was more granular control of the scene recall. Scene based filters instead of global. To me, the scene handling is vastly compromised compared to X32/M32. Hopefully that gets updated in the 1-2yr future...?

Effects are definitely limited. Hopefully some dLive/GLD ones come available along with MBC & De-Esser. Iíd really love if the dynamic EQ could replace the channel EQ, that would be cool. 48chís of DynEQ would be sick.

Iím sure the buyable plugins would be very nice, but iím With you...who cares about the 99 GEQís it has. Iíd rather have the ability to swap in a 10 band PEQ on the outputs. Which they absolutely could do, but I doubt it will happen. Thanks for looking at them with SMAART, good to know the differences.

W,B,R,G,B,Y,C,V. The X32/M32 inverse colors are very nice and I wish A&H would do something similar. Also, the character count & lack of other info on the scribble strip is annoying.
Iíve gone to using: K,Ki,S,Sb,T1,T2,T3,T4,OL,OR,B,Bi,E1,E1i,E2,A1,A2,V1,V2,V3,V4 for my patch list instead of names.

I am not even a fan of the scene management of the X32/M32. I use it for storing band setups so I have a good starting point when I work with the same band. For that it is fine. I have never worked with the same band (since using digital consoles) consistently enough that I would be using different scenes for different songs. So for my use for bands it is just fine. There are some quirks with the scene management in the SQ mixers but I would either have to find where I wrote about that or have one to play with again to remember them.

I do some musical theater shows and for that I use a scene management program called Palladium by CH Sound Design. When I had the SQ6 I was going to write the mixer file that would enable Palladium to control it. But it turns out that there isnít any Midi enabled on the SQ mixer YET. So no luck there. I initially wrote the X32/M32 Midi mixer file for Palladium, the X32/M32 is limited at to the Midi implementation so you can only do certain things with Midi on them. Then the developer added OSC capabilities so now you can do pretty much anything with Palladium and the X32/M32 mixers. If you look at  https://www.chsounddesign.com/ you will see my name next to some of the mixer files for Palladium. BTW you can control 3 mixers at once with Palladium. I regularly do 2 Midas M32 mixers at once.   

BTW I also have access to a dLive system (if I want) and I would like to write a Palladium mixer file for it. But for some reason they havenít enabled Midi control of channel EQ on it. Palladium can do a thing called actor tracking EQ so if you do a mic swap or a channel swap the EQ follows the actor. This is a really handy feature that I canít use on a dLive. I have talked to A&H and they have no plans to enable the channel EQ via Midi and it sounds like they may not have Midi control of the channel EQs on the SQ either. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 12:31:56 pm »

So, I've spent the past few days falling in love with my new SQ6.
Well obviously I have never owned such a nice mixer because this thing ROCKS!
I LOVE it. I have spent hours getting used to it, setting up scenes and basically putting it through its paces.

As Eric suggested I updated the firmware 1st thing.

The biggest difference to me - as Eric already mentioned and thank you for your advice - is that because just about everything is assignable and on the QU, they are preset, there is so much more to think about than with my QU - all the way from input > output.
One of things I couldn't get my head around was the mono/stereo assigning. The QU series is all preset so there is nothing to think about but for some reason this took me a while.
I know many of you have experience on much bigger and better mixers than the SQ so this would be second nature to you, but for me, these subtle differences can be difficult to learn. I got it down though (I think) and it all makes sense.

I cannot help to be a bit girlie here and say I really like the lights and colors in this board - it is so attractive when everything is turned up but not garish at all.

I did the same thing that I did when I first got my QU16. I'd get frustrated and walk away when I couldn't get something to work but I kept coming back after an hour or so and things would click into place.
I did notice however,  this time round ( QU to SQ), the learning curve was much quicker even though there is more to learn and I hardly looked at the manual ( which isn't that great anyway).
Now I've been mixing on digital boards for 5 years,  finding my way round wasn't too hard.

I am pleased I went this route instead of getting new speakers - the investment is much more affordable for me ( and as you guys pointed out - much more sensible in the long run)  and I think the fun factor and challenge is for me is very satisfying.  I am SO looking forward to using the mixer live.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 12:31:56 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.