ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Controller: "Mysterious Unit" is being "Elevated to Grand Master"  (Read 4688 times)

Miguel Dahl

I'm currently working on a setup which with RIO3224 + QL5.

I'm running the primary through switches so I also can have DVS and Sennheiser WSM on the same cable on my laptop. I also do a Secondary/redundant which is point to point QL5 <-> RIO

I noticed in the Dante Controller that it says that "some kind of unit" has been elevated to Grand Master. This happens after a while after get-in and powering up my laptop with the Dante Controller. The unit which has been elevated to Grand Master is what makes me ask. The name of it is just a string of numbers/letters, I can't identify this unit, I don't know what it is.

But when I look at the top of the screen in Dante Controller, it says that the QL5 is the clock master.

For instance. 2 Hrs into rehersals I see that this mysterious unit has been elevated to Grand Master, but at the top of the screen it says that QL5 is the master.

What is this? This is the only message I get in the log which is "off".

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Dante Controller: "Mysterious Unit" is being "Elevated to Grand Master"
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:07:30 AM »

What is the "string of numbers and letters" that it's being identified with?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »

What is the "string of numbers and letters" that it's being identified with?

-Ray

I didn't understand your post. I'm currently not at the venue, or have saved the log (doh). it's just something like 10-strings or something (from memory) with what could look like an network MAC-adress, but it's not the same format. To me it seemed like just a random string of numbers and letters.

It's not a typical Dante unit name.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »

What do you mean you don't understand Ray's post?

What are the numbers and letters?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »

What do you mean you don't understand Ray's post?

What are the numbers and letters?

Ah. Sorry. It was pretty straight forward. But as I wrote above, I don't have them in front of me. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get back there, as I guess it will happen again.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »

Ah. Sorry. It was pretty straight forward. But as I wrote above, I don't have them in front of me. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get back there, as I guess it will happen again.

I have had this happen and when i dug a little deeper i was able to identify that the string of numbers was PART of the MAC address of the unit that was now identified as the Grand Master.  I don't know why it identifies it this was, however, and welcome hearing from someone who does.

In my case it was a unit i did NOT want to be the master so i went in and altered my settings.  You can designate more than one "preferred master" [which i had neglected to do] and if for some reason the network isn't happy with it's current master it will move to one on your preferred list which can keep it from randomly picking the most flakey unit in the network [as was happening in my case].
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »

I have had this happen and when i dug a little deeper i was able to identify that the string of numbers was PART of the MAC address of the unit that was now identified as the Grand Master.  I don't know why it identifies it this was, however, and welcome hearing from someone who does.

In my case it was a unit i did NOT want to be the master so i went in and altered my settings.  You can designate more than one "preferred master" [which i had neglected to do] and if for some reason the network isn't happy with it's current master it will move to one on your preferred list which can keep it from randomly picking the most flakey unit in the network [as was happening in my case].

Aha! I only have the QL5 as preferred master. But what seems strange that after this log message, and nothing else after it (it didn't report to change back to some other master, like the QL5), QL5 is reported as being the clock master.

But I only have the QL5 and the RIO as possible sources for a dante clock master. Sennheisers and my DVS can't be dante clock masters. I also remote the QL5 with an IPAD, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 06:25:50 AM »

Alright. It's actually the QL5 itself. The string is the MAC-address, but without the : in between.

So dante controller uses the terms grand master and clock master. If I yank out the primary, it says that RIO has been clock master. Plug it back in it says that QL5 is clock master again. What is grand master?

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »

What is grand master?
This is Grandmaster -

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »

Alright. It's actually the QL5 itself. The string is the MAC-address, but without the : in between.

So dante controller uses the terms grand master and clock master. If I yank out the primary, it says that RIO has been clock master. Plug it back in it says that QL5 is clock master again. What is grand master?

After some more and little research, the "Grand Master" string pops up when I turn on the wifi on my laptop which runs the DVS.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.