ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FCC's 600 bandwidth sell-off  (Read 2139 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
FCC's 600 bandwidth sell-off
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I just read the following:

Available frequencies following the transition
    VHF and UHF frequencies on TV channels 2-36, which fall below 608 MHz.
    Certain frequencies in the 600 MHz guard band: 614-616 MHz.
    Certain frequencies in the 600 MHz duplex gap: 653-657 MHz for licensed use or 657-663 MHz for unlicensed use.

So am I to understand that if a wireless system's user frequency falls between 657-663 MHz it will not be affected by the FCC bandwidth sell-off??

Does anyone have clarification on this?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: FCC's 600 bandwidth sell-off
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:49:26 PM »

Hi Mike,

There's a great thread in the Wireless forum about the 600MHz auction, which has been in effect for some time now. At this point, manufacturers are prohibited from making or selling any system that operates in the 614-696MHz spectrum (other than the guard band and duplex gap), and retailers are no longer permitted to offer any of the same for sale in the US.

The trigger, though, is that if a system is able to be tuned to an illegal frequency, it has "lost its type acceptance" with the FCC, and is no longer permitted to be used. So, a system, even if you can tune it to a legally-allowed frequency, the fact that it can be tuned to an illicit frequency prohibits its use.

The time frame for everything is from now until July 2020, where use in the affected spectrums will become officially illegal. At this time, you can still use it, but you run the risk of the newly licensed users interfering with your operations (and you are not permitted to interfere with their operations).

Shure's Mail In Rebate for affected systems ended October 31, 2018. Sennheiser's is still going a bit longer, but will eventually end as well. A company I work with had a bunch of J50 QLX-D channels that they got a firmware update for from Shure. Not sure if that's a widely available update (updated to J50A, IIRC) or limited to larger users of the systems. Either way, if you have a system in the impacted spectrum, I urge you to get it replaced or re-tuned as soon as possible!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Andy Sharrow

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »

A company I work with had a bunch of J50 QLX-D channels that they got a firmware update for from Shure. Not sure if that's a widely available update (updated to J50A, IIRC) or limited to larger users of the systems.

ULXD and QLXD units in the J50 and L50 bands are patchable via Wireless Workbench. The patch removes the offending frequencies, making them type-compliant again. As it's just a software update they can't shift the range, so you will have a smaller tuning range than before.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »

ULXD and QLXD units in the J50 and L50 bands are patchable via Wireless Workbench. The patch removes the offending frequencies, making them type-compliant again. As it's just a software update they can't shift the range, so you will have a smaller tuning range than before.

You must also get (and apply) new stickers for the chassis to show type compliance and the new frequency range. 
Shure will provide these once you send them info following the update. 
Also, the update is not reversible.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.