ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison  (Read 6180 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Comparison
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »

I'm trying to get coverage to the sides at the front, that's where most of the holes are, theres little bleed from the stage because most of the musicians are on IEMs, the only bleed that I have is from the pastor's monitors
Why not front fills then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Abel Duens

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've entertained that possibility, they would be small though, and would have to time align them right?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »

Right know we have speakers with a coverage of 90x60 but horizontally I need a little bit more then that. Those speakers caught my eye because of their horizontal coverage
Something you need to consider.

Just because the "rated pattern" is 90x60, does not mean that it is 90x60 at all freq.

This is "nominal" coverage rating that has been assigned.

Depending on the cabinet and the freq, the actual pattern at that freq could be radically different.

In "most" cases, the pattern gets narrower at higher freq and wider at lower freq. 

The best way to determine the actual pattern at the freq of interest is to look at polar plots, directivity graphs or model the particular loudspeaker.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 10:21:27 AM »

+1.
Some venues require more than one speaker per side to cover the entire area effectively. If your current system is missing the ends of the first couple of rows, front fills are the way I'd fix that for sure.

As someone has already said, a wide-dispersion main PA system just means more room reflections. Such systems have their uses, but I'm not sure they're the right thing for you.

Since it's a low-SPL situation (covering a few seats here and there doesn't need much), I'd be looking at 6-8" speakers.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »

I'm trying to get coverage to the sides at the front, that's where most of the holes are, theres little bleed from the stage because most of the musicians are on IEMs, the only bleed that I have is from the pastor's monitors
Just add a couple of side-fills if you are happy with the main system......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

So I’m not sure I’m understanding this, wide coverage at the front, enough volume, front fills and versatility, oh and $4,000 is definitely beyond the budget?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 02:31:28 PM »

So I’m not sure I’m understanding this, wide coverage at the front, enough volume, front fills and versatility, oh and $4,000 is definitely beyond the budget?

Band-Aids, bubble gum and bailing wire are what's in the budget.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »

I was thinking tin cans and string! 😉

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »

Front fills on the very edges can be used to fill the gap.  Time delays should not be needed because the fills are close to the same line as the main speakers.  If you draw a line across the fronts and the fills stay on the same line.  When you move forward from the line is when you start to need the time delays.  If you use powered speakers, is there a power plug in that area of the room to get power.   Do you want to pull signal xlr cables to the speakers or would you want to use IEM with two receivers.  Do you have enough space in the RF spectrum to support another IEM? 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 02:33:09 PM »

Front fills on the very edges can be used to fill the gap.  Time delays should not be needed because the fills are close to the same line as the main speakers.  If you draw a line across the fronts and the fills stay on the same line.  When you move forward from the line is when you start to need the time delays.  If you use powered speakers, is there a power plug in that area of the room to get power.   Do you want to pull signal xlr cables to the speakers or would you want to use IEM with two receivers.  Do you have enough space in the RF spectrum to support another IEM?

No, this is fundamentally flawed.

To persons who cannot hear the main system (broadband, down -12dB or greater), alignment isn't an issue but to those seats where the main system and front fills contribute equal or nearly equal energy, the affected audience members are likely closer to the front fills, which should be delayed.  How much and where to measure that is where experience comes in.

In practical terms this means that even if the front fills and flown or elevated PA are on the same planar line, left to right, some of the seats are closer to the fills.  Which seat gets the optimal alignment in the overlap zone?  You decide; everywhere else is a compromise.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 02:33:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.