ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Par Light Spacing  (Read 6008 times)

Joel T. Glaser

Re: LED Par Light Spacing
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »

Jeff, Thanks for the ideas.  I have a truck that is 92" wide on the inside.  I have come up with a 84" or 7' bar which will leave me enough room to turn the meat rack around in the truck.  I am going to have a meat rack built to handle 6 bars of lights. 

William, I'd love to see pictures/plans of whatever you end up with for your racks. Been thinking about building something for my light bars. Any input is much appreciated. - Joel

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »

William, I'd love to see pictures/plans of whatever you end up with for your racks. Been thinking about building something for my light bars. Any input is much appreciated. - Joel
Joel, it will be a couple of months before we get this project done.  I will make sure that I post pics back to this post.

If the .063" wall tubing works for you, that's cool. FWIW, Innote that even light-duty truss like Global is .080" (2 mm) wall thickness.  Standard truss is .125" (3 mm).  Because of the way aluminum fails (suddenly, compared to steel) you might want to inspect those bars more frequently to look for stress risers in the tubing.

Mark, we will definitely be using aluminum.  I am thinking .125 due to the weight of the 4 lights to a bar.  Safety first.

Because my bars were hold-outs from my days of using pre-rigged truss and a 120 can PAR 64 "standard rig".  I chose the 15" center to center spacing that was used for the 6 light Socopex PRT bars.  I use only 4 LED "cans" per bar on a 58" bar to keep it from being too heavy.  My LED's are not as large or heavy as yours are.

Don, I use 15" on center for my 7 x 18 pars and that works great.  However, as you point out that is not enough room for the larger 18 x 18 lights that we use.

Thanks to all of their help.

Bill

Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:54:22 PM »

If the .063" wall tubing works for you, that's cool. FWIW, Innote that even light-duty truss like Global is .080" (2 mm) wall thickness.  Standard truss is .125" (3 mm).  Because of the way aluminum fails (suddenly, compared to steel) you might want to inspect those bars more frequently to look for stress risers in the tubing.

Noted.  This could be a concern if this was structural in nature.   In my case, there are only four light-weight led "pars" (about 6 lbs ea.) attached to the bars.  The bars are clamped to my truss using two "double cheeseburger" clamps rated at 250Kg each with safety cables around the truss.  The "double cheeseburgers" are between the outer and inner pairs of "pars" - par-clamp-par-par-clamp par.  Pre wired and in sets of four it saves time and labor.  I would never consider using even a small "mover" or heavier light on this tubing.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »

I would never consider using even a small "mover" or heavier light on this tubing.

Don, good point.  We would only attach movers directly to the truss, never to a light bar.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »

Noted.  This could be a concern if this was structural in nature.   In my case, there are only four light-weight led "pars" (about 6 lbs ea.) attached to the bars.  The bars are clamped to my truss using two "double cheeseburger" clamps rated at 250Kg each with safety cables around the truss.  The "double cheeseburgers" are between the outer and inner pairs of "pars" - par-clamp-par-par-clamp par.  Pre wired and in sets of four it saves time and labor.  I would never consider using even a small "mover" or heavier light on this tubing.

Very good. You guys think about what you are doing before you do it.  My point was mostly for more casual (or new) folks who might be looking for a shortcut or a cheap "solution" without knowing all of the important caveats.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.