ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is A Ribbon Driver  (Read 3717 times)

MikeHarris

Re: What is A Ribbon Driver
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 03:58:20 am »

The Vue Audiotechnik's have beryllium ribbon drivers.

Beryllium...yes...Ribbon ...no. Conventional compression driver.

Many years ago we used both Stage Accompany and SLS Loudspeakers...both with ribbon drivers. One limitation was the 1K lower limit. 2 way with a 12 beat one with a 15.
Dolby now owns SLS and their cinema system using the PRD1000 remains in production while they rehab the conventional product line.
While reviewing specs for a upcoming 80 seat theater project I noticed the PRD1200...a higher power version I was unaware of.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 01:53:11 pm »

There are a few professional loudspeaker systems using ribbons. Alcons Audio has an 18 unit in some of their boxes that has a peak handling of 3000 watts. They make great line arrays and point source cabinets that are out on tour with big names and in major installs.

Innovox is another high end manufacturer that comes to mind that uses ribbon drivers. While mostly an install company, they have a few portable products and are starting to get some traction with rental and production companies.

As mentioned, SLS makes some boxes that use ribbons including compact line arrays.

I have heard products from the above companies at our loudspeaker demos and have been impressed by their offerings.

Dont base your ribbon experience on MI grade Peavey boxes.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Justin Myers

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 04:31:47 am »

Lots of info here, I had no idea about these ribbon drivers, you guys are all over it, thanks for the feedback and the knowledge you have on this topic.
Do you recommended the Peavey RBN speakers then?

I have been impressed by the Peaveys ribbons but take note of what people are saying. They will not have the output of a standard compression driver but if driven within their capabilities, they sound very good.
Versarray Version 1 didnt get it right. Version 3 coming out which looks interesting but I have learnt my lesson with not buying rider friendly brands.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:36:38 am by Justin Myers »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 04:31:47 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.