ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite gooseneck mic?  (Read 8963 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Favorite gooseneck mic?
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »

I'm in the market for a gooseneck mic for talking head events with lots of speakers.  My wireless gear is Shure QLX-D, so I'm interested in the Shure ULXD8 wireless gooseneck transmitter that would make it easy for those event where the lectern goes up and down several times during the program.  That's the easy part.  The harder part is what mic to put on it.  Shure has about 12 choices, and maybe there are non-Shure options that fit, too.

What's customary in this application?

Thanks.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Favorite gooseneck mic?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:27:21 AM »

DPA 4098.

Simply the best.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »

DPA 4098.

Simply the best.
Is there a way to adapt it to Shure wireless without multiple kludged adapters?  I see an adapter to go to a Shure bodypack, but am not sure how that works logistically for a gooseneck.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »

Is there a way to adapt it to Shure wireless without multiple kludged adapters?  I see an adapter to go to a Shure bodypack, but am not sure how that works logistically for a gooseneck.
Quite well when you have a modernistic lectern with little to no storage space or a client who vehemently opposes any visible cables on stage. Just tuck the bodypack somewhere out of sight and rock n roll. Or talking heads. I guess both could be considered rock :P
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »

Quite well when you have a modernistic lectern with little to no storage space or a client who vehemently opposes any visible cables on stage. Just tuck the bodypack somewhere out of sight and rock n roll. Or talking heads. I guess both could be considered rock :P
I would appreciate any specific instructions if you have them.  I rarely provide the lectern, so I'm finding something like the Shure ULXD8 base or something like it to be pretty ideal.  With what I've Googled about the DPA I need the mic, some kind of base, the microdot to Shure adapter (not sure if that's compatible with the base, and then a place to put the Shure bodypack.  That doesn't sound compact or elegant to me.  Now if there's an adapter that goes from DPA Microdot to the Shure gooseneck connector so I can just jam it on the ULXD8, now we're talking.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »

I would appreciate any specific instructions if you have them.  I rarely provide the lectern, so I'm finding something like the Shure ULXD8 base or something like it to be pretty ideal.  With what I've Googled about the DPA I need the mic, some kind of base, the microdot to Shure adapter (not sure if that's compatible with the base, and then a place to put the Shure bodypack.  That doesn't sound compact or elegant to me.  Now if there's an adapter that goes from DPA Microdot to the Shure gooseneck connector so I can just jam it on the ULXD8, now we're talking.

If you want to use that Shure RF base plate I would go with the Shure mics. The Shure Microflex mics are pretty good. My favorite GN mic remains the Countryman IsoMax 4 RF. The Countryman audio is great, and the mechanical isolation is unique and very effective. It does require an adapter to XLR and perhaps a battery adapter to work as an RF mic however.

Mac

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »

Use a ordinary Shure beltpack and DPA DAD6010 adaptor.
This gives you a wireless gooseneck without needing to purchase a specific transmitter.
I use this setup whenever I can with this mic:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/dsign/supercardioid-ceiling-and-tabletop-microphone

Integrated shock mount in the base and cable with microdot connector so you can fit any adaptor for any wireless or XLR connector. Excellent off-axis response, low-frequency isolation and good on-axis sound.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »

Hi TJ, as far as mics go I bought a Countryman A3S somewhat recently and really like it.  Unwanted noise rejection is excellent and the switchable pickup pattern is very effective.  I typically use it on a Shure A412B base as pictured below, which is just a simple XLR pass-through.  A slip-on windscreen sized for an SM81 also helps when using this outdoors on a windy day.

I agree with Mac though - if you're going to buy into the Shure wireless product you'll probably have to use their mics as well.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but a setup such as what I describe above will at least let you swap mics between any XLR gooseneck depending on your preference for a given event.  As others have mentioned, if you must use wireless it's also easy enough to plug the tail of the base into your transmitter.  It's not quite as clean and compact, but it's a trade-off for additional flexibility.  Hope this helps!   

Ade Stuart

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »

The 300 series Sennheiser plug transmitter works great and will supply phantom power for most mics.
I set up a funeral home's portable lectern with a Sennheiser system a few months ago. For that system I used a basic AT 857 mic.

For my use I have a Countryman A3 Cardiod, Countryman Isomax 4RF hypercardiod and a DPA 4098 supercardiod.

I want to add that depending on the location and use you may need to beef up the windscreen on any miniature gooseneck mic.
If needed I have good results with Shure A99WS.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:41:17 PM by Mike Caldwell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.