ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probs w/ laptops for video; probs w/ embedding video in ppt or slidedeck  (Read 529 times)

Paul Abram

Hi, I produce professional videos and, against my advice, my client is not using a pro AV company for video projection but renting gear and using internal people... they did this last year and had some issues but they think it's worked out. The problems were related to data rates although my video and audio were spec'd out below recommendations.

Like last year, they're using Windows 10 laptops and videos will be embedded in either PowerPoint 2013 or O365 slide decks. Could the issue with lagging playback be due to compression or other issues through ppt or simply processing issues through their laptops?

Any advice? Should they use some other device or play videos through quicktime, etc to help avoid issues?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Probs w/ laptops for video; probs w/ embedding video in ppt or slidedeck
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:53:51 am »

IME, any reasonably fast machine (ie, not a 2010 netbook) will be fine as long as all the files are stored locally.

Reading off a pendrive, portable HDD, streaming from the internet, stuff like that will always cause problems.
Sure, the WiFi works fine when the room's empty. Now add 200+ people all with their devices screaming out over WiFi, 4G, and Bluetooth and suddenly you'll struggle to get a stable connection, let alone shove any data around.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
Re: Probs w/ laptops for video; probs w/ embedding video in ppt or slidedeck
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 05:12:08 pm »

Any advice? Should they use some other device or play videos through quicktime, etc to help avoid issues?

I use PowerPoint at my church for all of our projection duties. I need to convert all videos to wmv via MovieMaker to guarantee no playback issues. I have tried mp4 & wmv output from various programs, all of which will run like a top on the computer until I embed it in PowerPoint at which point I get a sputtering display. I am using Office 2010 on a Windows 8 machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.