ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR > DZR for Christmas???  (Read 13004 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: DSR > DZR for Christmas???
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »

It primarily came down to price. Most of the TT line is more than twice the price, albeit with stronger components. Regardless, I only had $2800 to spend for the pair. I was reading dozens of rave reviews on its predecessor, the ART 745-A MK4, and reasoned that these had to sound as good or better. I took a chance and bought them sight-unseen/unheard and they did indeed sound fantastic.

I insisted on 15's because I typically EQ bass guitar with a few humps between 100Hz and 500Hz. I felt that this was putting a lot of demand on my 12's when in medium to larger bar rooms and ballrooms. I was right again; our bass guitar sounds huge now.

Makes sense - I found the weight of the 15" online and as you say it is only 6lbs heavier than the DSR112 - so  the 15 is VERY doable!!!

One more thing. If I went the RCF route, do you have any RCF sub experience you could share?
Or should I use them with my SRX828/818?....The SRX subs are pretty impressive so the RCF offering would have to be very good to beat them and noticeably so IMHO.
I find once you get to 'decent' sounding subs like your typical KW181 and SRX818, it is tougher to tell the difference in sound quality between them and the level above than compared to the more obvious difference between the typical MI category tops and better.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »

Oh thank you Gordon! I had missed your review - although quite recent, maybe I didn't care to read through as I wasn't intending to make any changes at that time. Reading it now!!

So, it sounds like the RCF's hang quite well in that 'above MI' category but are still relatively affordable for us weekend warrior types. This could be my sweet spot. I'd really prefer 12's so I hope they would sound as good as the 15's??

Also, why did you choose the NX series over the TT series ?

Back to researching......

Deb -

The problem when you get to the level of the DSR's (I don't want the DZR's simply because of the rear panel complexity) is that you are maxing out what the form factor can do.  Sure maybe the RCF TT25's may be a little bit better, lifting a blanket off level, I would be stunned.

To get to the next level you need to change the form factor.  To get clearer sound you have to put the sound where you want it.  That means cabinets with better pattern control down lower.  Point source boxes like the Fulcrum's and Danley's are one way to achieve this.

Steered arrays like the DB Tech, RCF or FBT are another.  The are great tools with excellent site lines.  Weddings and corporate events love them.  I am not sure that they are what I would want in a club though. 

I got to mix for 2 days on a secondary stage (singer/songwriters "pull" format, amazing experience)  that was running a D&B V10P over a VGsub with a D80 for power.  It certainly was the most expensive SOS rig I had ever mixed on.   My first thought was to compare to my QSC's and DSR's.  It wasn't a slap you in the face difference.  There was a certain effortless to getting the mix right on them.  EQ tracked very well and I didn't have to make room in the mix with any harsh tricks for everyone.  It sat well and expressed what it was fed. 

My point being that gains will be incremental, not exponential.   The monetary expense will be exponential.  The next step up is a big one.

The DSR's and SRX's do the job so well.  It's a tough act to follow.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »

Ya, that last 10% of performance takes 90% of the budget.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »

Ya, that last 10% of performance takes 90% of the budget.

My favorite "speaker on a stick with SPL"-rig these days are d&b Y7p over Y-sub with a D80 amp. We have a demo system inhouse and I really enjoy mixing on it.
You can probably buy 10 Yamahas for the price of a D80 alone,  but it sounds better. How much better? Hard to tell. But definitely noticeable.

My other "speaker on a stick rig with limited SPL" is a pair of EAW KF300z I got as part exchange on a deal. Built a pair of dual 18" subs for them and power it with a Powersoft X8. The subs outrun the KF300z by far, but the Kf300z has a really nice sound to them greyboxed.
Could probably buy 10 more Yamahas for that X8 when I come to think about it, but that amp is from my KF750 system, so it was already paid for.

kel mcguire

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »

I say get the DZR. I think they'll sleigh your next audience  ;D

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »

...One more thing. If I went the RCF route, do you have any RCF sub experience you could share?
Or should I use them with my SRX828/818?....The SRX subs are pretty impressive so the RCF offering would have to be very good to beat them and noticeably so IMHO...

No, I do want them, but alas, the RCF subs are not in my budget yet. Maybe next year.

A close friend of mine has a pair of 828's. I suggested that we put my RCF 45's on top of his 828's to see how they sound together. We simply haven't had time to do it yet, but I am sure that it would be a hot little system.

If you are ever in south-central Pennsylvania, maybe you can catch me running the RCF's.
Member since 2005.

Justin Perrachon

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »

Debbie- I have  Fulcrum FA22ac and NX32a (literally just ordered those)  if you're interested in hearing either.  Specced out TT22a in an installed venue in Raleigh if you want to hear those as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »

My point being that gains will be incremental, not exponential.   The monetary expense will be exponential.  The next step up is a big one.

I couldn't agree more. 
Lately I have been thinking about replacing my EV ZLX 12P boxes with something else.  Mostly this was because I wasn't using them much and thought I needed something much better for my occasional use.  Then recently I was able to rent them as extra stage wedges for a veteran band at a very high-end event that I was mixing.  After the event the band leader told me that it sounded great on stage.  That reminded me that these boxes sound as good as I think they sound and that spending exponentially more on replacements wouldn't have made the compliment exponentially more meaningful.
I'm mostly going into local venues and mixing on house gear.  I'm not renting gear for a living nor am I trying to fulfill riders for national or regional touring acts.  I'm just using these on occasion for those small events that need some more gear. 
So, if these DSRs and SRXs have been working well for you, do you really need to replace them?  If providing equipment is a large part of your business, will your return on investment pay off with upgraded speakers?
If you want to just change up your sound some (and satisfy your GAS) a much cheaper option would be to expand your mic selection. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »

Deb -

The problem when you get to the level of the DSR's (I don't want the DZR's simply because of the rear panel complexity) is that you are maxing out what the form factor can do.  Sure maybe the RCF TT25's may be a little bit better, lifting a blanket off level, I would be stunned.

To get to the next level you need to change the form factor.  To get clearer sound you have to put the sound where you want it.  That means cabinets with better pattern control down lower.  Point source boxes like the Fulcrum's and Danley's are one way to achieve this.

Steered arrays like the DB Tech, RCF or FBT are another.  The are great tools with excellent site lines.  Weddings and corporate events love them.  I am not sure that they are what I would want in a club though. 

I got to mix for 2 days on a secondary stage (singer/songwriters "pull" format, amazing experience)  that was running a D&B V10P over a VGsub with a D80 for power.  It certainly was the most expensive SOS rig I had ever mixed on.   My first thought was to compare to my QSC's and DSR's.  It wasn't a slap you in the face difference.  There was a certain effortless to getting the mix right on them.  EQ tracked very well and I didn't have to make room in the mix with any harsh tricks for everyone.  It sat well and expressed what it was fed. 

Thanks Scott. VERY good points and respectfully taken.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »

Debbie- I have  Fulcrum FA22ac and NX32a (literally just ordered those)  if you're interested in hearing either.  Specced out TT22a in an installed venue in Raleigh if you want to hear those as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ooh... I'd love to Justin. Let me know when would be  good time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.