ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR > DZR for Christmas???  (Read 13002 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: DSR > DZR for Christmas???
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »

Thanks guys....

I appreciate your thoughts on the DZR's.

My DSR's at almost 4 years old are still in mint condition and sound fantastic but I just fancied a change.

I am intrigued by what I could move to in a powered box and have it be an upgrade to my DSR's and SRX's ( and still keep the weight down as much as possible). RCF does come up a lot in these threads and interest me somewhat....

I would probably have opted for a Danley system years ago if it wasn't for the reasons stated earlier. I don't tend to do many big shows these days so it would mean carrying around heavier equipment than necessary to all the smaller shows because I would no longer have my lighter smaller gear- I'd sell it to be  able to make the investment.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Taylor Hall

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »

Perhaps something in the Fulcrum FA line is worth investigating as well?
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »

Perhaps something in the Fulcrum FA line is worth investigating as well?

Yes thanks Taylor - another brand that comes with recommendations on here from time to time

Its just that in the past I have usually been able to hear speakers before I bought them (although I didn't hear the DSR's first but I relied on member reviews)... so I'd have to do some research and really rely on you guys again to help me decide on anything above the SRX line.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Taylor Hall

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »

Yes thanks Taylor - another brand that comes with recommendations on here from time to time

Its just that in the past I have usually been able to hear speakers before I bought them (although I didn't hear the DSR's first but I relied on member reviews)... so I'd have to do some research and really rely on you guys again to help me decide on anything above the SRX line.
Sadly, once you reach a certain level of equipment you can't just roll in to Guitar Center and spin it up!

1) Do it right

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »

Sadly, once you reach a certain level of equipment you can't just roll in to Guitar Center and spin it up!
Yeah - that's  the problem. But I have had such a good experience with the DSR's having never heard them before purchase, I am not too worried about that.

So I suppose I need some suggestions on what to research - pretty please?

I just checked out the RCF offerings - Nice looking boxes with impressive specs. The Fulcrum range doesn't have as much to choose from for my purposes but again - good specs.
I'd like to stick with 12" two ways if I can along with 18" subs.

Although I started this thread with a view to possibly replacing my DSR's with DZR's, I suppose it would make sense to get something a noticeable step up from both of them and just sell my DSR's and SRX system  to make way for a better set-up.
I have always struggled to choose between my DSR's and SRX's for the small to mid shows I do as they are both 12' and sound so similar. I never use them at the same time so I have a duplication problem there too.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »

Yeah - that's  the problem. But I have had such a good experience with the DSR's having never heard them before purchase, I am not too worried about that.

So I suppose I need some suggestions on what to research - pretty please?

I just checked out the RCF offerings - Nice looking boxes with impressive specs. The Fulcrum range doesn't have as much to choose from for my purposes but again - good specs.
I'd like to stick with 12" two ways if I can along with 18" subs.

Although I started this thread with a view to possibly replacing my DSR's with DZR's, I suppose it would make sense to get something a noticeable step up from both of them and just sell my DSR's and SRX system  to make way for a better set-up.
I have always struggled to choose between my DSR's and SRX's for the small to mid shows I do as they are both 12' and sound so similar. I never use them at the same time so I have a duplication problem there too.
Best bet would be to locate a local dealer/regional rep and see if you can set up a "test drive". More often than not they're quite amicable to getting those scheduled as it means a high chance of money in the bank for them. RCF has a pretty decent nationwide presence, so finding someone nearby shouldn't be too hard.
1) Do it right

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »

I can only compare the DZR12 to the QSC HPR122i, which I mentioned in the other DZR thread.  I used my DZR12s on a gig for the first time this weekend and they did not disappoint.  FOE gig, no subs, ran 3 vox, fiddle, and electric guitar via Touchmix 16.  Received comments about how clear everything sounded.

My reasons for buying the DZR12 over the DSR12:
Side handles; I was able to install on stands by myself
Newer model (an expectation that Yamaha made improvements over the DSR)
Greater control/flexibility over the DSR: Multiple HPF settings, delay, etc.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »

Debbie, just food for thought...

I recently upgraded from DSR's to RCF NX 45-A. (I got them new for a pretty healthy discount.) Wow! What a noticeable difference it made. It was as if someone had removed the army blanket from over my DSR's. The word clarity has a whole new meaning to me now. I'll never go back to MI gear.

My review here... https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,168797.0.html

EDIT: I still have (and love) the DSR's. I use them for stage monitors, delay fills, or those little SOS jobs. I also wanted to add that I believe the whole NX line sounds somewhat similar to one another.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:44:01 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »

Debbie, just food for thought...

I recently upgraded from DSR's to RCF NX 45-A. (I got them new for a pretty healthy discount.) Wow! What a noticeable difference it made. It was as if someone had removed the army blanket from over my DSR's. The word clarity has a whole new meaning to me now. I'll never go back to MI gear.

My review here... https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,168797.0.html

EDIT: I still have (and love) the DSR's. I use them for stage monitors, delay fills, or those little SOS jobs. I also wanted to add that I believe the whole NX line sounds somewhat similar to one another.

Oh thank you Gordon! I had missed your review - although quite recent, maybe I didn't care to read through as I wasn't intending to make any changes at that time. Reading it now!!

So, it sounds like the RCF's hang quite well in that 'above MI' category but are still relatively affordable for us weekend warrior types. This could be my sweet spot. I'd really prefer 12's so I hope they would sound as good as the 15's??

Also, why did you choose the NX series over the TT series ?

Back to researching......

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »

...Also, why did you choose the NX series over the TT series ?...

It primarily came down to price. Most of the TT line is more than twice the price, albeit with stronger components. Regardless, I only had $2800 to spend for the pair. I was reading dozens of rave reviews on its predecessor, the ART 745-A MK4, and reasoned that these had to sound as good or better. I took a chance and bought them sight-unseen/unheard and they did indeed sound fantastic.

I insisted on 15's because I typically EQ bass guitar with a few humps between 100Hz and 500Hz. I felt that this was putting a lot of demand on my 12's when in medium to larger bar rooms and ballrooms. I was right again; our bass guitar sounds huge now.
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.