ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas for shop cable storage???  (Read 2439 times)

Frank Czar

• Website
Ideas for shop cable storage???
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I just moved into a new larger warehouse and I'm looking for ideas on storing cables, anything from XLR's and 1/4" to socos and camlocks. I saw a pic of a shop somewhere that had some bins made that looked kind of slick. Does anyone have any ideas and or pics for me?

Attached is a pic of what I had been doing in my old shop.
I had pegboard and used hooks for smaller cables and then L brackets for the larger cable.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:52:20 PM by Frank Czar »
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

Len Zenith Jr

Re: Ideas for shop cable storage???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »

I like "marley hooks", he gets a new 'do every show.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »

Bulk storage bins. Sometime called "gaylords". Do a Google search for either.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »

Pegboards work for smaller and more delicate cables, but for longer/thicker cables some dedicated coffins will make life easier. Being on wheels makes it that much better so you can wheel the entire mass to where you're loading out and not make multiple trips back and forth when you inevitably have a Colombo moment and need "one more thing" and walk back across the shop for it.

Starting out we used some of the decent black and yellow storage tubs from home depot, but eventually graduated to larger (and more durable) road cases that we let live under the bottom shelf of our racks. Just pull out the case with the type of cable you need, scan it out for the manifest, wheel it back and move on with life.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »

Tubs/flightcases and hooks together with standard cable cases.
Try to keep about 3-5 xlr cables of your standard lengths somewhere near your warehouse entrance for those "oops i forgots"

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H635 met Tapatalk

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »

here is part of our cable wall.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BMubPcQFG4Wm9CCEA

Hi Everyone,

I just moved into a new larger warehouse and I'm looking for ideas on storing cables, anything from XLR's and 1/4" to socos and camlocks. I saw a pic of a shop somewhere that had some bins made that looked kind of slick. Does anyone have any ideas and or pics for me?

Attached is a pic of what I had been doing in my old shop.
Sorry Can't seem to upload the pic but I had a section on wall with pegboard and used hooks for smaller cables and then L brackets for the larger cable.
Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Frank, this past spring I got tired of cable being everywhere except where I wanted them to be.  I designed a cable caddie.  It's 6 foot long with 4" casters so it can be moved about.  It has a center beam that is roughly 4 ft tall and then has another center beam at 2' tall.  Each beam has 4 18" arms on it.  That gives me 16 18" long arms to hang cable off of per caddie.  One caddie is for mic cable and the other is for electric, dmx and speaker cable.  All cable is hung by type, XLR, Quad Boxes, NL8, NL4, etc.  It really has cleaned up the place and all we have to do to sweep under them is roll them out, sweep and roll them back.

I'll try to get a picture to post.

Note: I stole this idea from Mike Mason of Mason Sound in Jacksonville, IL.  I'm really not smart enough to come up with it on my own.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »

EWI C004DC, with a larger size for big power cables. 

Stackable, wheeled, secure, truck pack.  Inventory list inside each one.  XLR-1, for example, would have all sizes of XLR.  XLR-2 and following would be mirrored for multiple gigs or each side of stage. 

Wall with hooks is good for an installed system but not for rolling into a truck. 

At the very least - company name/logo heat shrink and sorted. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »

My cables go into pillowcases.  Every colour/pattern under the sun, so different types look different.

The pillowcases have contents written on them in thick 6" high letters, eg "XLR 10m."

Pillowcases go into heavy-duty tubs, sorted and labelled, eg "short power extension".  Tubs go onto steel shelving.

Quite a bit of other gear is managed the same way.  Pillowcases (or small tubs) to keep things sorted, then into bigger tubs and into shelves.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.