ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type of electrical wire for rack interior  (Read 5387 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Type of electrical wire for rack interior
« on: November 12, 2018, 04:59:20 PM »

Hi All,

Quick question - if I'm wiring the interior of a rack and need to go from PowerCon to a quad-box, what would be the appropriate type of wire to use here?  The PowerCon itself coming in/out from the patch panel is enclosed as it should be, but I'd like to run from that to an interior quad-box to power the rack's equipment.  In the past I've just used 12/3 SOOW simply because I had it laying around and there was enough space in the rack for it, but on my latest project the SOOW is too stiff to get where I need it and I can't imagine that such heavy use cord would be required here by code.  Would the type of wire I see on heavy-duty IEC cords be acceptable here, and if so, what is it?

Thanks! 
-Jeff

Robert Healey

Re: Type of electrical wire for rack interior
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »

Hi All,

Quick question - if I'm wiring the interior of a rack and need to go from PowerCon to a quad-box, what would be the appropriate type of wire to use here?  The PowerCon itself coming in/out from the patch panel is enclosed as it should be, but I'd like to run from that to an interior quad-box to power the rack's equipment.  In the past I've just used 12/3 SOOW simply because I had it laying around and there was enough space in the rack for it, but on my latest project the SOOW is too stiff to get where I need it and I can't imagine that such heavy use cord would be required here by code.  Would the type of wire I see on heavy-duty IEC cords be acceptable here, and if so, what is it?

Thanks! 
-Jeff

Jeff,

Not a cable solution, but if you need something with a NRTL listing, this seems to be doing what you want and has an ETL listing:

http://www.lexproducts.com/products/entertainment/powerrack-rolling-distribution-racks/enclosed-rack-mount-power-distribution/1ru-rack-mount-power-distribution-powercon-in-to-edisons

It is quite pricey compared to a quad box but has the listing...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:36:37 AM »

Inside a rack, I'd guess that you can get away with just about any voltage rated cable.
Brian Jojade

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »

I would feel that the correct response is based on how much Current is passing in the cable.  Size of the breaker feeding the power connections.  The Soow cable may not be needed but would the SJOW cable meet the fire code and flexibility.  14 gauge, or 12 gauge to meet the current and breaker size. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »

Thanks guys, that’s about what I expected to hear.  I just wanted to be sure there wasn’t some section of the NEC that I wasn’t familiar with which specifies a certain type of wire for such an application.  Thanks again!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 02:20:45 PM »

Thanks guys, that’s about what I expected to hear.  I just wanted to be sure there wasn’t some section of the NEC that I wasn’t familiar with which specifies a certain type of wire for such an application.  Thanks again!

NEC 640 - Audio Signal Processing, Amplification, and Reproduction Equipment
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »

NEC 640 - Audio Signal Processing, Amplification, and Reproduction Equipment

Thanks Tim.  Section 640.22 simply states that supply cords or cables, if used, shall terminate within the equipment rack enclosure in an identified connector assembly, and that the supply cords or cable (and connector assembly if used) shall have sufficient ampacity to carry the total load connected to the equipment rack and shall be protected by overcurrent devices.  It makes no mention to cable type beyond that, and technically this section only applies to permanent audio installations.

Section 640.43, pertaining to portable systems, talks about about strain relief and covers for cables going in and out of the racks, but doesn't have a reciprocal requirement for the wiring within a rack.  Section 640.42 (E) calls out the Extra-Hard Usage cord needed for running power between racks or to the supply, but doesn't apply to the interior of the rack (to my interpretation). 

That's all I could find, and since it didn't answer my initial question is why I decided to ask here in case there was anything I missed.  Thanks again!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »

Jeff, there may be others, as 640 references audio used in other Occupancies (520, 525 are two I recall off hand) as well as Chapters 2, 3 and 4.  It's actually a very long read.

That said, I don't recall that audio racks or similar installations require a specific type of conductor or insulation or connector so long as everything meets Code for the use (service power, speaker cable, input wires, physical protection of conductors, enclosing AC service power terminations, etc).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.