ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setup for double stage  (Read 2675 times)

Karel Will

Setup for double stage
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »

Hi,

I have a job with a double stage setup (like Wacken Open Air festival) coming up, and was wondering how to set all up.

There will be 3 main hangs (LCR), and we will be using them as LC for the left stage, and CR for the right stage.
Do I completely kill the outer hang on the unused stage? Or do I feed it a (turned down) signal? Would that signal be a mono mix, or a symmetric signal?

What about subs? Do I just use a single large sub array in the middle, or only use half of it for each stage? Or would I be better of splitting the array in half and have independent setups per stage?

This is all indoors, room is 28m deep (audience), about 40m wide. System used will be d&b V-series 8 deep, 16 J-subs.

I think I have a pretty good idea how to proceed, but have never done this before, so I would love your ideas...

Thanks,

Karel Will

Eric Snodgrass

Re: Setup for double stage
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »

Worry about covering the audience that will be there, regardless of where a band is on stage.  All of the patrons are there to hear the music no matter where they are sitting. 

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »

Worry about covering the audience that will be there, regardless of where a band is on stage.  All of the patrons are there to hear the music no matter where they are sitting.

X2, I typically do a L/R mix and whatever outside hang gets a mono mix to cover audience over there. Audience coverage is usually the biggest concern as the audience for the most part will not move back and forth from stage to stage.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »

Kinda depends on the orientation between stages and between the audience and the stages. Running the "left over" stack will work better outdors than indoors. I do second Erics point. Always cover the entire audience unless you have been clearly instructed not to (chill-zones and bar areas benefit from a less in your face presentation of the band)

Assuming the stages to be on the narrow side. Sub stacked in between the stages. Merlijn van Veen has an article floating around about aligning center subs to LR hangs. This might work here.
Often you'll get lucky and almost everyone will gather in front of the "active" stage and you don't need the "left over" stack. If it looks like it will get too crowded when everyone hurdles up in front of the active stage then run all the stacks.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H635 met Tapatalk

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 12:27:05 PM »

There will be 3 main hangs (LCR), and we will be using them as LC for the left stage, and CR for the right stage.
Do I completely kill the outer hang on the unused stage? Or do I feed it a (turned down) signal? Would that signal be a mono mix, or a symmetric signal?
Karel,

The outer hang on the unused stage would best be served with a mono mix, delayed by the approximate distance between it and the center hang to keep the audience auditory focus in line with the visual. With a delay applied, level could be as loud as desired, the precedence effect will still make the active stage area seem louder.

Art

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 02:52:24 AM »

I would treat the center hang as if it were a Center-Fill/stage-lip speaker; summed and turned down slightly. Keep all hangs always on, but delay the center-fill the same amount (if any,) as the center-clustered subs.

IDK, just giving you ideas.
Member since 2005.

Karel Will

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »

Hi,

I'm sure it will be fun. Thank you for your ideas!

I'll let you know how it went.

K.

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 03:37:51 PM »

It depends(where is Ivan?)

If the public stays put I would run all 3 sources, if there is enough room and they move from stage to stage I would turn down or even kill the obsolete hang.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 12:43:16 PM »

I did a double stage years ago outdoors and what we did was a RLR setup. Panning to the right sent the signal to the outside stacks and panning to the left was the (L for local) center stack. The outside stacks were always on and each stage was between a stereo hang. We put the subs under each stack and it worked out well.

Some people in the audience would move around to be in front of the stage that was playing and some people who got up front of a stage would stay there during changeover and there were a lot of people who brought lawn chairs and set up behind FOH and just sat the entire show shifting their gaze from stage to stage. No national acts just regional blues bands.

We used a single monitor desk in between both stages placed behind the center stack and had to repatch for each stage. I remember after the show we decided that if we ever did dual stages again that we should use 2 stage crews with 2 monitor desks and 2 FOH consoles. That way the band setting up could do a line check and be ready to go quickly without having to wait for all the snakes and consoles to be repatched. Something got plugged into the wrong input between every act on that show because we didn’t have enough crew and time between acts.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:50:45 PM by Craig Leerman »
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 12:43:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.