ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bohemian Rhapsody tech gaffe  (Read 3151 times)

Stephen Kirby

Bohemian Rhapsody tech gaffe
« on: November 13, 2018, 01:02:19 AM »

Saw this posted on FB.  Good movie and much of the tech stuff and lip sync/playing was very well done.  Just a couple of gaffes.  Like this, and the Helpenstill live preamp sitting on the piano when they were in a studio setting.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody tech gaffe
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:26:10 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if these gaffs are put in there purposefully by the crew just to see if anyone will catch them. Like an inside joke between tech people.

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »

Saw this posted on FB.  Good movie and much of the tech stuff and lip sync/playing was very well done.  Just a couple of gaffes.  Like this, and the Helpenstill live preamp sitting on the piano when they were in a studio setting.
Having used RE-20s for multiple vocalists (as this one was also used in the studio scene) having it pointed up made sense to me, the RE series sound great on or off axis. Having used Helpinstill pickups in studio, having the the mixer on the piano makes sense-the high impedance pickup cords hardly allow any other position. Both "artistic choices" seemed well within the usual "suspension of disbelief" needed to enjoy a movie.

The stage monitor prop substitution got to me enough to spend way too much time researching:
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,169174.0.html

Fortunately, PSW is allowing photo attachments again, I was getting tired of having Freddie and those monitors on my computer desktop for a week waiting to share that gaffe ;^).

Art

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:12:31 PM by Art Welter »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »

I can imagine the sound recordist showing after it's all been painstakingly set up by the carpenters and props, and just saying "nope, not going to start that argument again".

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:57:25 PM »

Hands up everyone who has never seen a musician do anything weird or wrong?

... anyone ?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 01:59:04 PM »

I recently sent out my home studio gear as set dressing on a TV Commercial shoot. Was told to go set up a small home studio on set, so I did. As soon as I was done, the production designer walks in ask starts asking stuff to be removed from set, basically clears out everything. . .now it's just a desk with a laptop. . .then he wants me to make a working pro tools rig because the talent wants to actually lay down tracks during the shoot.

Ended up with a Sony C800g plugged into a UAD desktop audio interface with a MacBook running pro tools and some guitars and keyboards scattered around for the actual shoot. We did actually deliver a working pro tools studio, though.

Got fed well and paid well, so no complaints.

I can imagine the sound recordist showing after it's all been painstakingly set up by the carpenters and props, and just saying "nope, not going to start that argument again".
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »

I recently sent out my home studio gear as set dressing on a TV Commercial shoot. Was told to go set up a small home studio on set, so I did. As soon as I was done, the production designer walks in ask starts asking stuff to be removed from set, basically clears out everything. . .now it's just a desk with a laptop. . .then he wants me to make a working pro tools rig because the talent wants to actually lay down tracks during the shoot.

Ended up with a Sony C800g plugged into a UAD desktop audio interface with a MacBook running pro tools and some guitars and keyboards scattered around for the actual shoot. We did actually deliver a working pro tools studio, though.

Got fed well and paid well, so no complaints.

You should have just sent a screen grab video of some orchestral recording. Then they could ADR the pop or hip hop music they were supposed to be recording.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »

Having used RE-20s for multiple vocalists (as this one was also used in the studio scene) having it pointed up made sense to me, the RE series sound great on or off axis.

I was going to point that out; you beat me to it. Being a cardioid mic, off-axis isn't that big of a deal as long as the acoustic energy is within the pickup pattern. Going off-axis can reduce the effect of plosives. Just because *most* people use it one way doesn't mean *everybody* has to.

Is gaffer tape what you use to fix gaffes?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 08:30:15 PM »

Is gaffer tape what you use to fix gaffes?

Well, kinda. Yes.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Taylor Hall

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »

One thing I will say, tech gaffes aside, the choreography and attention to details when compared the the live recordings are stunningly accurate.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.