ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver recomendations?  (Read 2321 times)

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
Driver recomendations?
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:52:19 PM »

I have some old EV eliminator 18 subs i want to sell. One has an original ev driver, one has a black widow. Can't find an original any more. I have an eminence sigma that fits. Knowing what these things sound like should i just go with the cheapest?, the peavy or anyone have a better idea, other than a fire. They sell on ebay for 250 each, i would gladly take that.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Driver recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »

I have some old EV eliminator 18 subs i want to sell. One has an original ev driver, one has a black widow. Can't find an original any more. I have an eminence sigma that fits. Knowing what these things sound like should i just go with the cheapest?, the peavy or anyone have a better idea, other than a fire. They sell on ebay for 250 each, i would gladly take that.

I think the driver was EVM-18B.  Art can confirm and probably suggest a similar driver.

This thread from 2008 might be helpful:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=100702.0
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »

I think the driver was EVM-18B.  Art can confirm and probably suggest a similar driver.
There may have been an Eliminator that used the EVM-18B (EV called a lot of very different cabinets "Eliminator"), but the "Eliminator i 18" sub" I found on line used the EV DL18BFH. Not familiar with that driver, other than it appears to use a curvilinear lightweight cone with a 2.5" voice coil of 400 watt EIA RS-426A rating.
The EVM-18B had a 100 watt rating, the EVM-18B series II had a 200 watt rating. The amplifiers started "winning" so power ratings rose, and sensitivity dropped...

Considering that design drops at 24dB per octave below 70 Hz and has an Fb of 50 Hz, whatever put in it can't be much worse if it handles around 400 watts EIA and looks somewhat similar ;^).

Art

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:33:03 PM »

This thread from 2008 might be helpful:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=100702.0
Thanks, i found a thread from 2010 earlier today that was not helpfull. The sigma mentioned i have one of, might just get another. Thanks.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »

There may have been an Eliminator that used the EVM-18B (EV called a lot of very different cabinets "Eliminator"), but the "Eliminator i 18" sub" I found on line used the EV DL18BFH. Not familiar with that driver, other than it appears to use a curvilinear lightweight cone with a 2.5" voice coil of 400 watt EIA RS-426A rating.
The EVM-18B had a 100 watt rating, the EVM-18B series II had a 200 watt rating. The amplifiers started "winning" so power ratings rose, and sensitivity dropped...

Considering that design drops at 24dB per octave below 70 Hz and has an Fb of 50 Hz, whatever put in it can't be much worse if it handles around 400 watts EIA and looks somewhat similar ;^).

Art
Yeah, not much of a box. Someone will buy them anyway. I am going with another sigma since i have one now. Thanks.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 01:10:18 AM »

If the cabinet was worth anything, the 18Sound LW1400 works pretty well where an EVM18B was.  With much more capacity.  But I wouldn't bother with those.  Around here the best thing to do is take the driver out and sell it to someone else who's blown up something.  Often worth more to someone that an entire old cabinet.  Recycle the wood however you like.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »

If the cabinet was worth anything, the 18Sound LW1400 works pretty well where an EVM18B was.  With much more capacity.  But I wouldn't bother with those.  Around here the best thing to do is take the driver out and sell it to someone else who's blown up something.  Often worth more to someone that an entire old cabinet.  Recycle the wood however you like.
I have the drivers out in boxes for emergencies. I just hate to trash them, even though they already are.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:00:39 AM »

Have you considered having it re-coned?
Member since 2005.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »

Have you considered having it re-coned?
I don't have it or i would.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.