ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for a PA Setup for an Outdoor Movie Screening  (Read 6005 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Recommendations for a PA Setup for an Outdoor Movie Screening
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 12:55:36 pm »

I love watching movies outdoors.

You're awesome.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 12:50:22 pm »

Not to hijack, but since we're on the topic. . .

Every time I think about playing back a movie using Atmos or Dolby Digital over a pro audio rig I run into the same snag. What do I use to decode various Surround Sound formats from the HDMI feed of a Blu-Ray player? $4k for a Dolby cinema processor seems a bit excessive. Also, no love for movies encoded in DTS so that would require a separate processor.

I'd figure to use an Aux buss for each channel once I get the discreet channels broken out of the encoded feed, but haven't figured out the intermediary step. . .

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-95, it has 11 channels of amplification and it also has RCA pre-outs for each channel. I have connected 5 passive PA speakers directly to it and they get plenty loud for a backyard movie. I've also connected the RCA pre-outs to external amplifiers using cheap RCA-->XLR-M adapters and it works just fine. The AV receiver handles all of the decoding, routing, and level control. As an added benefit it also supports Apple Airplay so we can play music before starting the movie.

We've also used the Denon DN-500-AV which provides individual XLR outputs for up to 7.1 channels of surround. I believe it's discontinued and replaced with the DN-700, which i haven't used. But I have a couple installs with the DN-500 and no complaints.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 12:50:22 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.