ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing fiber into multipurpose rehearsal studio  (Read 2140 times)

Antti Patronen

Installing fiber into multipurpose rehearsal studio
« on: January 21, 2021, 06:01:07 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm working on cabling for our upcoming live rehearsal studio. Even though intended main use is for bands and sound techs rehearsing their sets I would like the cable infra between control room and live room to be adaptable for possible video/ lighting use as well. At the moment for signals we're going to run 8pcs CAT7, 16pcs AES / EBU XLR, 2pcs 2,5mm2 speaker cable. On top of this we'd like to add fiberoptic connections. Question is, as there's a lot of connector and cable options, which cable + connector combination would be most robust in terms of serving all these possible clients (audio, video, lighting). We're audio guys and most obvious for us would be HMA since we use DiGiCo a lot in house.

Thank you.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Installing fiber into multipurpose rehearsal studio
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 07:57:04 AM »

You must go to your profile and change your user name to your real name as required by the Forum rules given to you when you first registered or your post / account will be locked.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Antti Patronen

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »

You must go to your profile and change your user name to your real name as required by the Forum rules given to you when you first registered or your post / account will be locked.

Done. This wasn't the case when I created my profile back in the day so I'm sorry for this.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 10:28:08 AM »

The problem you’ll run into is that video tends to use single mode fiber and audio tends to use multimode fiber.  They aren’t compatible.  You can get converters though they are probably pretty expensive.

For connectors just terminate all fiber to LC.  HMA for an install would be very single purpose and very expensive.  You can get a set of HMA to LC cables made if you need that.  You could also go Opticon duo if you want.  That’s really just a rubberized dual LC connector.  For a controlled studio environment where you’re unlikely to have the connection cycles of a mobile show I’d probably just stay with plain LC.  By doing that you’re able to leverage the low cost commodity parts used in IT around the world.  You can also source parts/cables from your local supply house quickly if needed.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 02:28:09 PM »

The problem you’ll run into is that video tends to use single mode fiber and audio tends to use multimode fiber.  They aren’t compatible.  You can get converters though they are probably pretty expensive.

For connectors just terminate all fiber to LC.  HMA for an install would be very single purpose and very expensive.  You can get a set of HMA to LC cables made if you need that.  You could also go Opticon duo if you want.  That’s really just a rubberized dual LC connector.  For a controlled studio environment where you’re unlikely to have the connection cycles of a mobile show I’d probably just stay with plain LC.  By doing that you’re able to leverage the low cost commodity parts used in IT around the world.  You can also source parts/cables from your local supply house quickly if needed.

This.  And if your only tie points are between the rehearsal room and a control room, if someone is bringing in a video crew/package that needs to send lines to your control room, just have a single patch panel in the space with an 8-strand or 12-strand SMF that comes back to the control room, and plan on having plenty of patch cables on hand.  This will keep cables from running through doorways unnecessarily.

Also, if the room is large enough to support touring folks using their own cable package, the use of your tie lines is likely to be minimal, though having some MMF HMA to LC for the Digico/Optocore crowd would work (although, not cheap).  But Erik is right that pretty much everyone else touring with audio fiber that is not Digico is going to be on OpticalCON, which is a glorified duplex LC in a heavy duty connector.

Also, cleaning supplies. Plenty of fiber cleaning supplies - wipes, sprays, sticklers, etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 02:28:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.