Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Sintered Metal Pop Filter

(1/3) > >>

Robert Lunceford:
I have seen a few vintage microphones with sintered metal pop screens. Starlight currently offers a mic with one of these filters.
I'm curious about these. What are the benefits and drawbacks of this design? Why don't we see more of them?
I am guessing that they are more effective against "p" pops and that they are much more expensive to manufacture.

Geert Friedhof:
I guess the name of the snake dictates the price of the oil...

Riley Casey:
Only place I saw the sintered brass windscreen was the AKG 190Es like the picture.  Had a few in the late 70s - early 80s.  Don't remember them fondly, used them then where you might use a 57 today.  57s are better.  They seemed a bit dull sounding, perhaps that was the windscreen but I never really ABd them with and without to find out.  They often wound up being the talkback mic toward the end of their reign, that mic you didn't want to use anywhere else.

Tim Halligan:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on November 10, 2018, 10:34:20 PM ---Only place I saw the sintered brass windscreen was the AKG 190Es like the picture.  Had a few in the late 70s - early 80s.  Don't remember them fondly, used them then where you might use a 57 today.  57s are better.  They seemed a bit dull sounding, perhaps that was the windscreen but I never really ABd them with and without to find out.  They often wound up being the talkback mic toward the end of their reign, that mic you didn't want to use anywhere else.

--- End quote ---

Yep.

That pretty much echoes my experience with them, but offset by about 5 years to place my experience in the mid-80's to 90's.

I really think it was a solution in search of a problem.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on November 10, 2018, 10:34:20 PM ---Only place I saw the sintered brass windscreen was the AKG 190Es like the picture.  Had a few in the late 70s - early 80s.  Don't remember them fondly, used them then where you might use a 57 today.  57s are better.  They seemed a bit dull sounding, perhaps that was the windscreen but I never really ABd them with and without to find out.  They often wound up being the talkback mic toward the end of their reign, that mic you didn't want to use anywhere else.

--- End quote ---

They were market-positioned to be the Austrian SM57, minus the big ass presence peak at 5kHz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version