ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF HD10a mk4 vs Alto TS310?  (Read 10628 times)

Richard Penrose

RCF HD10a mk4 vs Alto TS310?
« on: November 09, 2018, 05:19:58 AM »

Hi,

I’m currently using Alto TS210’s for multi purposes ranging from using a single speaker with vocal mic plugged in direct for rehearsals, bass amp and keyboard amp to FOH for small acoustic gigs (vocals, keys, acoustic guitar and bass) and wedge monitors on larger gigs. They work surprisingly well, are very small, light and portable.
However, I would like something that would be a step up for FOH whilst keeping the size, weight and portability similar. Apparently the TS310’s go louder and sound clearer at higher volumes but I’ve heard great things about RCF speakers. I’ve tried the RCF 710’s and was extremely impressed with the sound from such a small light speaker. My only complaints were the much higher level of hiss and the appearance.

Has anyone heard the RCF HD10a and either the Alto TS210 or TS310?

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: RCF HD10a mk4 vs Alto TS310?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »

I haven’t used either of these speakers but a quick check shows:

Alto TS210 budget full range cabinet $249 @ Amazon
RCF HD10A line array module $1799 @ Full Compass

Not that price alone is everything but they seem to have wildly different purposes. Seems like apples and oranges to me
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:20:16 AM »

I haven’t used either of these speakers but a quick check shows:

Alto TS210 budget full range cabinet $249 @ Amazon
RCF HD10A line array module $1799 @ Full Compass

Not that price alone is everything but they seem to have wildly different purposes. Seems like apples and oranges to me

I believe you're mixing HDL 10a with HD10-A MK4, the L line is line arrays, the hd10mk4 is speaker on a stick-speaker.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:06:19 PM »

I believe you're mixing HDL 10a with HD10-A MK4, the L line is line arrays, the hd10mk4 is speaker on a stick-speaker.

Whoops! Looks like you’re right! Sorry about that! (Shows what I know!)
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 12:27:25 AM »

The RCF HD10 is going to be comparable to the RCF ART 310, not the 710. The HD to get is the HD32 but that's a big bump in size and price. It has the bigger 3" compression driver that RCF is starting to put in all their boxes. As far as the hiss on the ART710, I'd imagine it was bad gain staging. RCF stuff is normally dead quiet. I don't know anyone who's crazy about the ART series styling.

I'm still a huge fan of the Turbosound Milan M10 for small cheap speakers.

If you want great sound + ultra portable FOH PA look at the RCF EVOX J8 or JMIX8 if you want to ditch your mixer.

Hi,

I’m currently using Alto TS210’s for multi purposes ranging from using a single speaker with vocal mic plugged in direct for rehearsals, bass amp and keyboard amp to FOH for small acoustic gigs (vocals, keys, acoustic guitar and bass) and wedge monitors on larger gigs. They work surprisingly well, are very small, light and portable.
However, I would like something that would be a step up for FOH whilst keeping the size, weight and portability similar. Apparently the TS310’s go louder and sound clearer at higher volumes but I’ve heard great things about RCF speakers. I’ve tried the RCF 710’s and was extremely impressed with the sound from such a small light speaker. My only complaints were the much higher level of hiss and the appearance.

Has anyone heard the RCF HD10a and either the Alto TS210 or TS310?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Richard Penrose

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 02:45:10 AM »

Thanks Tim. When I tried the 710 here I had several other pairs of speakers set up to different mix outputs on an A&H QU mixer. I had the gain staging on the mixer set up identically on the mixer for all mix outputs? The 710 was much noisier than all the other speakers I had here (EV ZLX12p, Yamaha DBR12, FBT X-Lite 12a and Alto TS210). I tried swapping channels and leads etc but the 710 was definitely noisier than all the others!
I’m particularly interested in the HD10’s because of their full grill. I haven’t tried the Turbosound Milan M10’s because the monitor angles don’t look stable from the pictures I’ve seen? Also don’t like the lack of side handles.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »

Dunno what to tell you on the 710 noise. Maybe the mic level switch was on? The HD line is definitely for the full grill aesthetic, but the product line isn't as deep at the ART speakers. RCF has better offerings in that size range including the NX10SMA and the TT-1a but prices go way up from the ART and HD lines.

Monitor angle on the M10 is fine, I use them as wedges all the time. The 10 year warranty is nice to have. They have a two channel mixer on the back, with an HPF. I use them for solo acoustic acts (myself) all the time and have been pleased.

Thanks Tim. When I tried the 710 here I had several other pairs of speakers set up to different mix outputs on an A&H QU mixer. I had the gain staging on the mixer set up identically on the mixer for all mix outputs? The 710 was much noisier than all the other speakers I had here (EV ZLX12p, Yamaha DBR12, FBT X-Lite 12a and Alto TS210). I tried swapping channels and leads etc but the 710 was definitely noisier than all the others!
I’m particularly interested in the HD10’s because of their full grill. I haven’t tried the Turbosound Milan M10’s because the monitor angles don’t look stable from the pictures I’ve seen? Also don’t like the lack of side handles.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »

The RCF HD10 is going to be comparable to the RCF ART 310, not the 710. The HD to get is the HD32 but that's a big bump in size and price. It has the bigger 3" compression driver that RCF is starting to put in all their boxes. As far as the hiss on the ART710, I'd imagine it was bad gain staging. RCF stuff is normally dead quiet. I don't know anyone who's crazy about the ART series styling.

I'm still a huge fan of the Turbosound Milan M10 for small cheap speakers.

If you want great sound + ultra portable FOH PA look at the RCF EVOX J8 or JMIX8 if you want to ditch your mixer.

We have a bunch of 32's, and the HF in that one is very nice for vocals, it's 1.4" with a 3" voice coil which is crossed at 670-700 ish. But, I do get hiss, both from this and the HDL-30. This is OT, but since I'm here. The horn seems strange, in a good way. It says that it's symetrical, but it feels like it's asymmetrical, If you get them high enough on sticks (like big sticks), the energy seems pretty even from the back to the front. For instance, it feels like it's equally loud 20m back as it is 5m away from the speaker. When it's 3ish meters up in the air.

George Herbert

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »

We have a bunch of 32's, and the HF in that one is very nice for vocals, it's 1.4" with a 3" voice coil which is crossed at 670-700 ish. But, I do get hiss, both from this and the HDL-30. This is OT, but since I'm here. The horn seems strange, in a good way. It says that it's symetrical, but it feels like it's asymmetrical, If you get them high enough on sticks (like big sticks), the energy seems pretty even from the back to the front. For instance, it feels like it's equally loud 20m back as it is 5m away from the speaker. When it's 3ish meters up in the air.

That was my experience when I acquired HD32A to replace ELX112; the throw seemed much longer.  I've never noticed the hiss, but have not listened for it either.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 02:55:18 AM »

I didn’t think the RCF HD Series was below the 7 series? They are either priced the same as the 7 series or some dealers are selling them for more?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 02:55:18 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.