ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice For DJs: Some Obvious & Not-So-Obvious Things That Make A Big Difference  (Read 1345 times)

M. Erik Matlock

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Editor Live Sound International/ProSoundWeb
    • M. Erik Matlock on PSW

Advice For DJs: Some Obvious & Not-So-Obvious Things That Make A Big Difference
Working with some great DJs (as well as some not-so-great ones) got me thinking of things that I’ve noticed help the great ones stand out.
By Ales Stefancic • November 8, 2018

About half of the gigs I do include DJs who either fill the downtime between band changeovers or have their own set time after the main show has ended, in addition to electronic music shows where the entire lineup consists of record-spinning, crowd-moving headphone-wearers.

Working with some great DJs (as well as some not-so-great ones) got me thinking of things that I’ve noticed help the great ones stand out.

Don’t use compressed audio formats
Consider a well-tuned, large-scale PA system as a magnifying glass that either amplifies the greatness of a source or amplifies the problems of a source. A source that’s not up to spec is clearly revealed and painfully obvious.

While the difference between a .wav and an .mp3 file of the same track might be barely noticeable or “good enough” on computer loudspeakers, headphones, and even in small clubs, a large system will reveal just about every flaw of compressed audio formats: loss of high-end detail, lack of punch, less attack in the low end, and harshness.

There are no tools that either DJs or a sound engineers have on their mixers that can cover up a fault at the source. None...

Continue reading here: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/advice-for-djs-some-obvious-not-so-obvious-things-that-make-a-big-difference/
Train the next generation. Success without a successor is ultimately failure. wywu.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.