ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What sort of network cable to buy  (Read 11708 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: What sort of network cable to buy
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »

I asked in another thread whether anyone has had any problems using these for unbalanced signals like COM. Dave Ratt seems to think it's not a problem, but I'll bet that he was using CAT6a (individually shielded pairs)...

Even individually shielded pairs within a CAT6a only have the metal shell of the connector to connect the shield to. They are all going to be tied together in any case.

Mac

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »

How does that relate to running 4 network cables between backstage and FOH?

Andrew's question is specifically about 4 CAT5 runs, not 4 audio pairs in 1 CAT5 cable.

Mac

My bad. I read it as 4 analog lines to/from FOH on 4 separate lines.

If you were in my boat, would you prefer a single 4ch snake or 4 cables taped together?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »

Rat is selling a SuperCat Cable that can be terminated to 4 XLR/DMX/whatevers and used as a 4 ch snake OR as ethernet. . .

http://www.ratsoundsales.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=soundtools-supercatsound

Even individually shielded pairs within a CAT6a only have the metal shell of the connector to connect the shield to. They are all going to be tied together in any case.

Mac
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »

Rat is selling a SuperCat Cable that can be terminated to 4 XLR/DMX/whatevers and used as a 4 ch snake OR as ethernet. . .

if you terminate the cable with an EtherCon and use their breakout boxes to get to 4 XLR you will still have a shared ground and shield as I said in my previous post. An EtherCon connector has 8 connections for signal, plus the shell for the common shield/ground connection.

Mac

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 12:39:54 AM »

I have not had good experience with the Elite Core product. Something about the shields not being terminated in the connector.

I just bought some of their CAT5e for linking an A&H IP8 to a DM32 and it's not what it was 2 years ago.  Last time I bought from them the cable was DuraCAT with Neutrik shells - this isn't either.  Is stranded DuraCAT still one of the better choices for heavy duty Ethernet?         

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 12:39:54 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.