ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What type of generator/inverter/power conditioning for system  (Read 22890 times)

Steven C Barnes

What type of generator/inverter/power conditioning for system
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »

Hello my name is Steven and im new to the mobile DJ world. I have purchased 2 JBL PRX 818XFL,s (1500 w each), 2 PRX 815w,s (1500 each). Im using a Pioneer DDJ-SX3 and a laptop. Im going to start DJing at events and outdoor events.
I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips and what exactly is the best way to power these bad boys. Iv been looking into 6000 watt inverters so far but have read that they can have issues with high power low frequency subwoofers. Any tips and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: What type of generator/inverter/power conditioning for system
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »

Per forum rules you must use your full real name for members to respond to your questions thank you
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Steven C Barnes

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »

Per forum rules you must use your full real name for members to respond to your questions thank you
Fixed!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »

Hi Steven, so a few things...

To begin with, you’re not actually going to be drawing 6000w with what you bought.  With the way amplifiers work, you don’t normally draw advertised power in real-world conditions even with the speakers running full-open.  While power consumption will vary by a number of factors such as playing bass-heavy EDM or not, everything you listed can probably run just fine on a single 20A circuit.  Also, keep in mind that wattage applies more to marketing than actual volume and performance. 

Second, an inverter isn’t really what you need.  You’ll want an inverter generator such as a Honda EU product.  I know it’s a small difference in language, but if using search engines this will be important.  More importantly, do your locations not have power?  Running a full show of the level you’re talking on only generators is an absolute last resort for me.

Finally, seeing as you’re new to this, do you have the necessary business aspects of your operation in order such as insurance?  Many venues even at the mobile DJ level won’t even let you in the door without it.  Hope all this helps!

Steven C Barnes

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »

Hi Steven, so a few things...

To begin with, you’re not actually going to be drawing 6000w with what you bought.  With the way amplifiers work, you don’t normally draw advertised power in real-world conditions even with the speakers running full-open.  While power consumption will vary by a number of factors such as playing bass-heavy EDM or not, everything you listed can probably run just fine on a single 20A circuit.  Also, keep in mind that wattage applies more to marketing than actual volume and performance. 

Second, an inverter isn’t really what you need.  You’ll want an inverter generator such as a Honda EU product.  I know it’s a small difference in language, but if using search engines this will be important.  More importantly, do your locations not have power?  Running a full show of the level you’re talking on only generators is an absolute last resort for me.

Finally, seeing as you’re new to this, do you have the necessary business aspects of your operation in order such as insurance?  Many venues even at the mobile DJ level won’t even let you in the door without it.  Hope all this helps!

Yes i meant an inverter generator im sorry.
Now in terms of efficiency, Is the Honda series really worth the extra $$$ compared to other portable inverters like the Champion 3200 or Predator series? I see a lot of them that are very competitively prices and Honda is near double most of them.
And for the most part i will indeed have power but at some camp grounds and small events I will not have power. I could always just drop one of the PRX 818s while mobile if a inverter generator is a bad idea.
As for insurance, that is my next step coming up but I wanted to have all my equipment first. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »

Yes i meant an inverter generator im sorry.
Now in terms of efficiency, Is the Honda series really worth the extra $$$ compared to other portable inverters like the Champion 3200 or Predator series? I see a lot of them that are very competitively prices and Honda is near double most of them.
And for the most part i will indeed have power but at some camp grounds and small events I will not have power. I could always just drop one of the PRX 818s while mobile if a inverter generator is a bad idea.
As for insurance, that is my next step coming up but I wanted to have all my equipment first.
It's not theft insurance on your equipment,  it's liability insurance to protect the venue.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »

Yamaha makes a similar genny for a bit less.
Super quiet.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steven C Barnes

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »

Yamaha makes a similar genny for a bit less.
Super quiet.
Thanks i was really looking into the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator. Its under 1000 dollars and from all the reviews i read it works great. Any objections on Champion vs Yamaha/Honda?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 02:37:09 PM »

Thanks i was really looking into the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator. Its under 1000 dollars and from all the reviews i read it works great. Any objections on Champion vs Yamaha/Honda?

It is much nosier,  constructed cheaper and the outputs get noisy as you approach full load.  Extra caution for non-PFC devices connected to it.

There were some tests done on the Champion over in RV Forum that had scope traces of the inverter line noise.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steven C Barnes

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

It is much nosier,  constructed cheaper and the outputs get noisy as you approach full load.  Extra caution for non-PFC devices connected to it.

There were some tests done on the Champion over in RV Forum that had scope traces of the inverter line noise.
Oh wow thanks for the heads up ill look into that. The last thing I want is noise. How about Biggs & Stratton? They have some gennys on sale right now for this month.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.