ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive Wedges  (Read 9685 times)

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
Re: Passive Wedges
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »

Plenty of posts on active wedges come up in search.

As for passive wedges, it appeared the SRX712m was the winner. However, as they have been discontinued, and as those who have them tend to keep them, they are not super easy to find these days.

I've had the pleasure of working with the SRX712m, and I really like their weight/size/sound. Are there any current model alternatives that can meet the SRX712m specs (again, sound/weight/size/price point, and biampable option)?

Not looking to get into an active/passive speaker debate, just curious on what you all have come across recently or what seems to be popular these days in the passive world.

Thanks.

I ran into the same problem trying to get more 712Ms, I bought a couple of  STX812M (and 815), before it too was discontinued. It's heavier, the dispersion pattern is different, but it does sound good, if you can find them.

One item of note, the 712 does require a kick in the pants (strong amp) to wake them up. I had a PLX3002 on them for a few years and didn't get all the hoopla, until I heard them with a Itech 4000. I'm mostly using a Crown XTi6002 on mine.

Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »

I ran into the same problem trying to get more 712Ms, I bought a couple of  STX812M (and 815), before it too was discontinued. It's heavier, the dispersion pattern is different, but it does sound good, if you can find them.

One item of note, the 712 does require a kick in the pants (strong amp) to wake them up. I had a PLX3002 on them for a few years and didn't get all the hoopla, until I heard them with a Itech 4000. I'm mostly using a Crown XTi6002 on mine.

I think the difference you heard was a low end PLX vs a higher end ITech.  I don't think the SRX712m magically gets more voltage from Crown amps.  Or maybe they do?  Hmmmm.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 04:08:19 PM »

What would a rider friendly $1-2k passive wedge be?

I've heard the STX812 is very, very good monitor, especially with the iTech presets.

LE100 also looks good.

Any others?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »

What would a rider friendly $1-2k passive wedge be?

I've heard the STX812 is very, very good monitor, especially with the iTech presets.

LE100 also looks good.

Any others?
Well, do you want close to $1,000 per box (pre-amp) or closer to $2,000 per box?

Right now on eBay there's some b-stock JBL M22s for just shy of $4k for a pair, so less than $2,000 per speaker. You can also always find Microwedges for about the same point ($1,500ish per box pre-amp), which will be a great choice.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »

Well, do you want close to $1,000 per box (pre-amp) or closer to $2,000 per box?

Right now on eBay there's some b-stock JBL M22s for just shy of $4k for a pair, so less than $2,000 per speaker. You can also always find Microwedges for about the same point ($1,500ish per box pre-amp), which will be a great choice.

I think my main need would be that the band is super happy.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »

A $1-2k wedge system that factors the speaker and the amp? If you have to buy an amp and speakers, you going to have a hard time getting a rider-friendly model. Good wedges start at the $1k mark and a proper amp to power them is usually another 2-4k.

What I consider to be rider acceptable starts with a JBL SRX-700 series box or similar. A proper I-Tech amp will set you back $2,500 per amp USED!!!! Even getting a more modest QSC PLD series amp is going to set you back between $1,500 and $3,500.

Going back to wedge options, I am not 100% sure what Martic LE's even cost? I see them going for about 1,150 on European sites, but not sure what that means to US and actual dealer sales? JBL SRX's are still demanding close to $1k. and other higher-end vendors typically require proprietary amplification unless sticking to the used market. I don't like buying speakers used. They are kinda like a box of chocolates. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »

A $1-2k wedge system that factors the speaker and the amp? If you have to buy an amp and speakers, you going to have a hard time getting a rider-friendly model. Good wedges start at the $1k mark and a proper amp to power them is usually another 2-4k.

What I consider to be rider acceptable starts with a JBL SRX-700 series box or similar. A proper I-Tech amp will set you back $2,500 per amp USED!!!! Even getting a more modest QSC PLD series amp is going to set you back between $1,500 and $3,500.

Going back to wedge options, I am not 100% sure what Martic LE's even cost? I see them going for about 1,150 on European sites, but not sure what that means to US and actual dealer sales? JBL SRX's are still demanding close to $1k. and other higher-end vendors typically require proprietary amplification unless sticking to the used market. I don't like buying speakers used. They are kinda like a box of chocolates.

For me - just the speaker.

12" LE is passive
15" LE is passive/BiAmp
12" XE is passive/BiAmp
15" XE is BiAmp

$1500-$3.3k retail in above order.

PLD is going to be a good amp IMO.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:32:07 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »

For me - just the speaker.

12" LE is passive
15" LE is passive/biamp
12" LE is passive/biamp
15" XE is biamp

$1500-$3.3k retail in above order.

PLD is going to be a good amp IMO.

Nathan,
Your "12" LE is passive/biam" should read 12" XE is passive/BiAmp.

I know it was a typo but for those following along at home...

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »

Nathan,
Your "12" LE is passive/biam" should read 12" XE is passive/BiAmp.

I know it was a typo but for those following along at home...

Lee

Thanks, fixed. I could have sworn I had it as XE when I posted...? I must be going crazy.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »

Thanks, fixed. I could have sworn I had it as XE when I posted...? I must be going crazy.
Hard to go crazy if you already *are* :P
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.