ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive Wedges  (Read 5446 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Passive Wedges
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 01:53:16 am »

Clair is selling off 12AM's at $2k for a pair in a split case on eBay.

What would a rider friendly $1-2k passive wedge be?

I've heard the STX812 is very, very good monitor, especially with the iTech presets.

LE100 also looks good.

Any others?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 03:35:13 am »

For me - just the speaker.

12" LE is passive
15" LE is passive/BiAmp
12" XE is passive/BiAmp
15" XE is BiAmp

$1500-$3.3k retail in above order.

PLD is going to be a good amp IMO.

Get this rig you will never get another monitor complaint  https://www.solarisnetwork.com/used/m2-stage-monitor/23638

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 03:51:09 am »

If you can get your hands on some used d&b Max, they should be right in the middle of your price range.

And, you don't need a d&b amp for them. Max an the new Max2 can run on any amp, it's the only d&b speakers with that feature.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 06:34:33 am »

If you can get your hands on some used d&b Max, they should be right in the middle of your price range.

And, you don't need a d&b amp for them. Max an the new Max2 can run on any amp, it's the only d&b speakers with that feature.

Just make sure to get the Max 15. The Max 12 is imo not so great.

PS d&b D12 amps are quite cheap these days.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 12:17:03 pm »

Clair is selling off 12AM's at $2k for a pair in a split case on eBay.

Not passive, and you'd do well to buy whatever processing Clair still has for them.  I'll say that if one were to go this way one could mostly ignore whining local musicians that don't like the wedge.  "Good enough for Clapton, good enough for you... or 'no wedge for you today!'"
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 01:09:59 pm »

It was my impression that in this case, passive meant "not self powered" as opposed to "contains passive crossover"

It is my understanding that Clair can supply 12AM presets for Lab Gruppen PLM amps and Lake Processors.

Not passive, and you'd do well to buy whatever processing Clair still has for them.  I'll say that if one were to go this way one could mostly ignore whining local musicians that don't like the wedge.  "Good enough for Clapton, good enough for you... or 'no wedge for you today!'"
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »

It was my impression that in this case, passive meant "not self powered" as opposed to "contains passive crossover"

It is my understanding that Clair can supply 12AM presets for Lab Gruppen PLM amps and Lake Processors.

They've been offering the original Lake-built processing at blow out prices but those units may be gone now.

We took a serious look at buying a 24 box, 16 mix rig of 12AM... and decided to rebuild our EV xW15 inventory instead mostly because it was cheaper.  Probably 75% of the "bands you've heard of" shows we do are on band IEM rigs and we just supplement side fills and drum subs.  The rest of our shows get the JBL SRX712m wedges.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 04:52:00 pm »

I'll say that if one were to go this way one could mostly ignore whining local musicians that don't like the wedge.  "Good enough for Clapton, good enough for you... or 'no wedge for you today!'"

I think that's the real question I have.

Which monitors were/are used by 'band/player you've heard' of so I can tell local wannabe bands that complain about their monitor; "big name band you've heard of uses this so quit complaining."

Also, OP, sorry to hijack your thread a bit. Feel free to reign in control of your thread if this isn't helpful :)

Personally, I'd love to have Martin/Danley monitors (I think).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:54:27 pm by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 05:14:13 pm »

I think that's the real question I have.

Which monitors were/are used by 'band/player you've heard' of so I can tell local wannabe bands that complain about their monitor; "big name band you've heard of uses this so quit complaining."

Maybe it's your mix not the monitors (running and ducking).

Chuck Negron, Taylor Dayne, Dazz Band, Confunction and Mixalis Xatzigiannis have all used my HPR's (probably a few other people you may have heard of).  That doesn't make them great. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 05:18:52 pm »

Maybe it's your mix not the monitors (running and ducking).

Chuck Negron, Taylor Dayne, Dazz Band, Confunction and Mixalis Xatzigiannis have all used my HPR's (probably a few other people you may have heard of).  That doesn't make them great.

Are those people we are supposed to have heard of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 05:18:52 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.