ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive Wedges  (Read 9675 times)

Nate Zifra

Passive Wedges
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:12:06 PM »

Plenty of posts on active wedges come up in search.

As for passive wedges, it appeared the SRX712m was the winner. However, as they have been discontinued, and as those who have them tend to keep them, they are not super easy to find these days.

I've had the pleasure of working with the SRX712m, and I really like their weight/size/sound. Are there any current model alternatives that can meet the SRX712m specs (again, sound/weight/size/price point, and biampable option)?

Not looking to get into an active/passive speaker debate, just curious on what you all have come across recently or what seems to be popular these days in the passive world.

Thanks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Passive Wedges
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »

Plenty of posts on active wedges come up in search.

As for passive wedges, it appeared the SRX712m was the winner. However, as they have been discontinued, and as those who have them tend to keep them, they are not super easy to find these days.

I've had the pleasure of working with the SRX712m, and I really like their weight/size/sound. Are there any current model alternatives that can meet the SRX712m specs (again, sound/weight/size/price point, and biampable option)?

Not looking to get into an active/passive speaker debate, just curious on what you all have come across recently or what seems to be popular these days in the passive world.

Thanks.

We have 20 SRX712m in our inventory and except for 4 of them, were purchased new after JBL officially discontinued them.  They were produced in batches, apparently, because if you ordered them it could take 5 days or 3 months to receive them.  We joked that JBL kept "finding some more in the warehouse."

Not sure if they still are finding them (you might check with a JBL dealer) or not, as 20 is sufficient for our needs. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:15 PM »

I'm looking forward to get my hands on the new Yamaha CZR series, they look like a serious contender on a budget.

Apart from that I mostly run into d&b Max and EAW Microwedge these days. But they come with a different price tag.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:52:50 PM »

We have d&b Max2 and Radian Apex 1200s (the precursor to the "Microwedge). Both are great, but as mentioned, the d&b box is going to cost probably double what you're looking at. I see various Radians for sale for decent prices these days (including quite recently in the PSW Marketplace). The Radians are a nice "budget" solution for our clients.

I have seen some 712Ms used lately so they are out there and they are a great little box. EAW SM200 and other similar EAW 12" 2-ways are other great options that seem to come up fairly often online.

Those CZRs are pretty good looking. Probably worth a demo.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »

Danley offers a few variations: SM80M, SM100M, SMLPM....are you up against any riders?  What sort of stage volume are you battling with? 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »

I was just checking out those CZR’s online yesterday. The Yamaha PX amps have available DSP settings for them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:18:32 AM by Bradford "BJ" James »
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:25:51 PM »

We're using Martin LE100's for our entry level passive 12" wedges.  We've been quite happy with them
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:46:05 AM by Jason Raboin »
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Bob Stone

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 10:59:38 PM »

So why not the SRX812? They've got wedge angles on them.

Johan Falt

• Sweden/Jonkoping
    • http://www.lucas.se
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 07:41:05 AM »

We have 20 SRX712m in our inventory and except for 4 of them, were purchased new after JBL officially discontinued them.  They were produced in batches, apparently, because if you ordered them it could take 5 days or 3 months to receive them.  We joked that JBL kept "finding some more in the warehouse."

Not sure if they still are finding them (you might check with a JBL dealer) or not, as 20 is sufficient for our needs. ;)

The SRX712m is still available for order, at least here in Sweden. They are sold as spare part

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 02:10:05 AM »

FBT has a couple of series that have 12" coaxial models and they have been well received. The EV Live X is another more budget minded model. You seem to be into upper-end equipment, so I would put money on The Martin LE100 stuff or similar. I have used the Martin LE100 recently and they sound pretty good and are resistant enough to feedback, but I do believe that you must Bi-Amp them to get that performance?
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 02:10:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.