ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL Sound Factor 15 opinions  (Read 7275 times)

Steve Mason

JBL Sound Factor 15 opinions
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »

Looking at picking up a pair of JBL sound Factor 15 inch speakers for a backup set of speakers. I have been playing on this pair of speakers in a club for the last year-and-a-half never had an issue with them and they sound great. What is the overall opinion of this line of JBL speakers, I know they are older. Also what would be a good ballpark price range for a pair in good condition I am thinking between 300 and 500 Max for the pair
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: JBL Sound Factor 15 opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »

Those things were the entry level box.. equivalent to the JRX, the cabinet is MFD not plywood and the CD is the cheapest POS ever made LOL. These things retailed for $299 new which means $300 for the pair used in showroom condition and it goes down from there with dings and skuffs and blown drivers.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »

Old
Entry level
JBL
Used

I'd rather save for a few extra weeks and buy something, anything, else.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »

Avoid.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 02:22:04 AM »

For an entry-level MI grade box, they are ok at best. The sad truth is that for roughly the same money, you can find a powered MI grade box that will spank them. QSC just released their CP line and for a 12" speaker that's powered for $500 and sounds reasonably good is hard to pass up. EV and Yamaha also have their low end powered units that perform pretty well and are well priced.

Truth be told, dollar for dollar, a powered speaker will eat the passive model of similar ilk for breakfast and will be cheaper doing so. A passive speaker requires speaker cables that almost universally cost $1 or more per foot and an amp that costs roughly $500 assuming lower end models. A $600 pair of passive speakers will require a $500 amp and about $100 in speaker cables. So you're all in for at least $1,200 and you are getting all bottom of the line stuff. For the same $1,200 you can get a pretty decent set of powered speakers that have all the protections, 95% of the EQ and a higher potential SPL than the passive counterpart.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »

And keep away from water...

Dave

Lemme guess, don't feed them after midnight either...?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »

Lemme guess, don't feed them after midnight either...?

They don't reproduce (pun intended) but turn in Bose "bananas" !

Steve Mason

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »

Well the question is now moot and this is more of a rant than anything else.  The bar owner bought the speakers from the guy that owned them. After reading the comments here I was going to take a pass on them as I was thinking of buying them more fore the reason of "helping out a friend" and letting people "rent/borrow" them.  Short story is, the guy is an older musician who ran her weekly jam for years and left his gear there each week.  He is now sick (cancer) and can no longer  keep up with any kind of set gig schedule.  I have taken over the jam and the owner had asked me about doing a small house system for her. She bought the speakers to "help him out."  She does have a big heart but now I am stuck using them in the "house build."  I was leaning towards the Altos but now she has shot a portion of her already small budget on the JBL's.  At this point what I had imagined, pair of 12" Altos with a single sub (small venue) with a Soundcraft 12 channel board with Lexicon effects onboard that I already own and is in great condition, has been shot down the drain.  At this point I am thinking of just throwing a 1000 watt (advertised so actually 250 real watts/channel) 12 Channel Yamaha powered mixer (think knobs not pots) at it and calling it a day.  Honestly the mixer/amp will most likely only be used for vox with bands and karaoke the other nights. Gonna sleep on it for a few days.  Maybe I can find someone to buy the Sound Factors from her and put the Altos back on track.
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 11:03:54 PM »

Well the question is now moot and this is more of a rant than anything else.  The bar owner bought the speakers from the guy that owned them. After reading the comments here I was going to take a pass on them as I was thinking of buying them more fore the reason of "helping out a friend" and letting people "rent/borrow" them.  Short story is, the guy is an older musician who ran her weekly jam for years and left his gear there each week.  He is now sick (cancer) and can no longer  keep up with any kind of set gig schedule.  I have taken over the jam and the owner had asked me about doing a small house system for her. She bought the speakers to "help him out."  She does have a big heart but now I am stuck using them in the "house build."  I was leaning towards the Altos but now she has shot a portion of her already small budget on the JBL's.  At this point what I had imagined, pair of 12" Altos with a single sub (small venue) with a Soundcraft 12 channel board with Lexicon effects onboard that I already own and is in great condition, has been shot down the drain.  At this point I am thinking of just throwing a 1000 watt (advertised so actually 250 real watts/channel) 12 Channel Yamaha powered mixer (think knobs not pots) at it and calling it a day.  Honestly the mixer/amp will most likely only be used for vox with bands and karaoke the other nights. Gonna sleep on it for a few days.  Maybe I can find someone to buy the Sound Factors from her and put the Altos back on track.
Is there enough money on the table to lose sleep over this? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 11:03:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.