ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL Sound Factor 15 opinions  (Read 7272 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: JBL Sound Factor 15 opinions
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »

In my analogy the jbl sf would be the pliers, and the alto's the walmart socket.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 06:35:27 AM »

Thanks for proving my point. Per the mechanic analogy...even a cheap walmart brand socket (jbl sf) is better than using an adjustable wrench which is still better than using a pair of pliers which is still better than having nothing. You don't need snap on, or even craftsman to be able to do most jobs. Obviously the JBL's won't do an A list act for 10,000 people...but 100 people in a little bar? Sure they'll suffice.

Bob, I manage a shop with a sizeable JBL inventory, from VerTec to JRX.  There are audible reasons some cost more than others but we have a price spread to accommodate different budgets or expectations.  However if I have to listen to the results for any length of time or if I'm mixing the show/event I can assure you I'm taking better gear because it makes my day easier.  Can I wring every last drop of "sounds good" out of cheap systems?  Sure, making systems perform to the best of their capability is what I do.  It's my job and I'm fairly good at it after 35 years... but when you start with "sounds right" and uniform off axis response you're already a leg up at the gig.

I "squeezed" a 5 piece Nashvegas act through a Mackie Thump PA a couple of years ago, in a songwriter tent showcase for about 100 seats.  It wasn't the worst day of my life (and the speakers survived) but it was one of the hardest mixes I've done in a long time.

And I think small audiences deserve quality presentation from entertainers just as much as larger audiences do.  Not being a gear snob at all, but wanting the band to be represented in the way most flattering to them so every person who hears them, no matter where, thinks they sound good.  :D
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »

I think the point is more about the buy once cry once mantra. While the JBL SF/JR series will likely work just fine for 90% of what it is employed for, it doesn't make it any easier to do the job.

If you only ever intend to do small, low budget gigs and high dollar equipment is no big deal that is fine. Having the next step up in quality means you can do the same gigs and it will be that much easier. Better gear sounds better out of the gate, is less prone to sonic problems that require fixing and perform better overall. If it sounds better initially, then it requires less work and you then enjoy the job more. There is nothing fun about a mediocre sounding show that you are working your ass off to create. The one thing I have learned about sound is that you do have bad days at the office and sometimes you just can't win for losing. It's those days that having great gear can make your otherwise off day still work acceptably for listeners.

I like to go with the next best thing rule. If you only need a 16 channel mixer, then you should get a 24 channel mixer. If you need a cheap throw around PA, you should get a medium grade PA to throw around. If you need a speaker that will acquire a 130db peak, then you should buy a speaker that will get a 135db peak. That sort of thinking.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Taylor Hall

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »

I like to go with the next best thing rule. If you only need a 16 channel mixer, then you should get a 24 channel mixer. If you need a cheap throw around PA, you should get a medium grade PA to throw around. If you need a speaker that will acquire a 130db peak, then you should buy a speaker that will get a 135db peak. That sort of thinking.
That's the kind of objective comparison we do whenever we look at new gear. It's especially important for outfits on the precipice of, or in the middle of a lot of growth. Sure that 16ch mixer will work fine for now, but in 3 months when you start getting more live gigs you're gonna wish you had 24+
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Bob Stone

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 10:12:16 PM »

Not everyone can afford to spend $1000/box or sometimes even $500/box on PA gear...just fact of life. Not everything needs it either, for a bar system, do you think the ROI is there on a $1000/box PA? Maybe if you're booking big acts in a major club...maybe not if you want some local bands to play friday night for 50 punters. Either way the OP is stuck with these boxes and rather than everyone making him feel bad because he didn't get SRX boxes, how about helping him make the most out of what he has?

All I ever see here is people getting torn down for not buying the latest favorite whatever it is. Hell, a month or so ago I was looking for a budget analog mixer under $500 CAD, ideally cheaper and 3/4 of the posts were recommending $1500+ digital boards. What the hell good is that?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »

Not everyone can afford to spend $1000/box or sometimes even $500/box on PA gear...just fact of life. Not everything needs it either, for a bar system, do you think the ROI is there on a $1000/box PA? Maybe if you're booking big acts in a major club...maybe not if you want some local bands to play friday night for 50 punters. Either way the OP is stuck with these boxes and rather than everyone making him feel bad because he didn't get SRX boxes, how about helping him make the most out of what he has?

All I ever see here is people getting torn down for not buying the latest favorite whatever it is. Hell, a month or so ago I was looking for a budget analog mixer under $500 CAD, ideally cheaper and 3/4 of the posts were recommending $1500+ digital boards. What the hell good is that?

Ignore the advice you don't like.  Won't be the first time that's happened on these forums...

Maybe it comes down to choice of tools and some of the folks here have a wider range to choose from.  As I said, my shop has inventory at each end of JBL's spectrum.  What *I* use on a gig where I'm mixing might be "better" than the client is paying for because I have to listen to it, too!

But if your reality is local band, local pubs, local pay... then it is what it is.  The absence of relies you liked in your previous quest for analog mixing isn't personal, Bob, it's a sign that portion of the market is largely a thing of the past - at least among many of the forum users.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 05:40:49 AM »

Not everyone can afford to spend $1000/box or sometimes even $500/box on PA gear...just fact of life. Not everything needs it either, for a bar system, do you think the ROI is there on a $1000/box PA? Maybe if yo6u're booking big acts in a major club...maybe not if you want some local bands to play friday night for 50 punters. Either way the OP is stuck with these boxes and rather than everyone making him feel bad because he didn't get SRX boxes, how about helping him make the most out of what he has?

Smalls bars have adequate PA's.  These consumer grade boxes can't keep up with a live rock band.  People don't want to stay and revenue declines.

50 people easily generate $2500 a night on revenue.  That's 20k a month for Friday and Saturday music.  You can't spend 5k on a usable PA.?

You can't find usable used boxes in the $500 range, you still need subs, monitors, stands. Mics, cables and some lighting.

The soundfactor boxes just aren't very usable. 

If I was trying to do it on a shoe string budget I would find some JBL SR series boxes.

This is a pro audio forum,  at all levels we present the artists in the best way possible.

I am also not sure what you thing a major venue is but a regional act in a 300 or 400 cap venue charging admission would probably need more than SRX. 

SRX is top of the MI food chain.  We talk about gear below that level all the time.

If you want emotional validation this is the wrong forum.  Sorry you feel intimitated but the chip is on your shoulder.   

The opportunities to learn here from amazing professionals are endless.  The willingness to pass along hard earned knowledge is priceless.

Try and chill out.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »

I agree with Tim here.

If I'm mixing, I wan't my preferred mics on all inputs and the best PA available. If that means I have to groundstack a d&b J-rig in a tent for 500 people (done that, sounded good) or bring my personal KF300z on a gig in a less than desirable basement club because I mix a band I like and the house PA is less than desirable(last week), so be it. "Good enough" is not how I like do do my work.

On the other hand, if you're mixing you get what you want and pay for.
You want a pair of MI grade boxes or a full J-system? Tell me your budget and I'll provide what you need and can afford.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »

I don't understand this: Someone here asks for opinions on a particular product (as stated in the posting title) and then gets honest informative answers - yet someone else attacks those who bothered to spend time giving advice.

Added thought: As Tim said, " Ignore the advice you don't like." This says it all.
If someone wants to try to advise me on something they know more about than I, especially after I asked them for it, I am always grateful..... Now whether I want to take that advice or not is another matter.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:30:01 AM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 11:40:58 AM »

Some people innately give more than required, while others look for the least possible to just get by.  This is evident (usually) in how they work, what gear they invest in, etc. 

Professional, service industry - should (in my opinion) be the former.  Thus - individuals who are the latter feel very out of place. 

I've never mixed in a system and thought, "Man, I wish this sounded worse!"  Have often said the opposite though. 

So many of the "But we can't afford ...." are excuses if they look close and are honest.  If there is a $10M project happening - complaining about an extra $10k of whatever is BS.  Or if an item brings in cash flow, they can't say there is no money; there just isn't money YET. 

Penny wise, pound foolish - must have been coined by someone in AV!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 11:40:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.