ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couldn't resist....  (Read 9213 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Couldn't resist....
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »

Not surprised by the responses here about this group, if there's no Knowledge or finances or POC make fun of them. Hope all are feeling better!

For every squirrel there is a nut.  There are customers out there for this kind of rig so there are providers to make that happen.

My first PA wasn't a collection of disparate items and to this day I recommend that first systems not be such collections particularly in light of the fact that most contemporary entry-level systems are much better that what is depicted in the CL listing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Douglas Stringfellow

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »

So. You have knowledge! All are not fortunate

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »

Perhaps some have failed to understand the point of this post.
It has NOTHING to do with how much equipment these folks have, the cost of the equipment or how good it might/might not look or sound.
It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the verbiage is total exaggeration and the photo is ridiculously bad.
Although anyone trying to make money and build a business has to start somewhere, a little bit of thought and common sense in how to promote themselves in a way that won't cause ridicule is all that is needed.

All these guys have to do is get a DECENT photo together of their stuff, stop with the silly 20,000w and "If we don't have it, it can't be found" claims and just advertise what they CAN provide. It is as simple as that. I am sure they would get far more respect - they certainly would from me. Just be real!

To me it is like advertising a car that does 0-60 in 3.25 seconds and has a top speed of 185MPh but then posting a picture of an old rusty 1983 Ford Taurus. THAT is why I shared the ad here  - no other reason!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »

Perhaps some have failed to understand the point of this post.
It has NOTHING to do with how much equipment these folks have, the cost of the equipment or how good it might/might not look or sound.
It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the verbiage is total exaggeration and the photo is ridiculously bad.
Although anyone trying to make money and build a business has to start somewhere, a little bit of thought and common sense in how to promote themselves in a way that won't cause ridicule is all that is needed.

All these guys have to do is get a DECENT photo together of their stuff, stop with the silly 20,000w and "If we don't have it, it can't be found" claims and just advertise what they CAN provide. It is as simple as that. I am sure they would get far more respect - they certainly would from me. Just be real!
Well said!

To me it is like advertising a car that does 0-60 in 3.25 seconds and has a top speed of 185MPh but then posting a picture of an old rusty 1983 Ford Taurus. THAT is why I shared the ad here  - no other reason!
1983, eh?  Now that would be quite the feat!   ;)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »

Douglas,

You have been a site member since 2013 and have 9 posts and your first post wasn't until 2015 of which two are from this thread. Either you spent 5 years reading every thread we have on here, or you have no clue at all how we actually feel and act? One young fellow not too long ago started a thread asking for advice on how to advance his career in sound/production. Your response:

" Hello, Since you say, you have the basics down. I would suggest you stay in school, but not for sound or production. Gain Knowledge in something you love so just in case it does not work out or things get slow, you will still be employed in something you love. "

Now this response was to someone who had a little experience and a drive to make a career of it in this field and you told him to not advance his knowledge in this field and that he should in essence always plan on sound support and production as being a side job.

Fast forward to this week and you are saying we're jerks for poking a little fun at a Craigslist ad that is less than honest or at the very least slightly confusing. And to boot you say that we have knowledge and others are not as fortunate, after not too long ago, telling a forum member to NOT acquire any more knowledge in this field. What is it then?

The majority of the names you see often in the threads are doing two things; spreading knowledge and exposing for free, that knowledge to any and all who care to join this forum. The answers to just about any appropriate query are often quickly responded with multiple outlooks, theories, and approaches that the OP can then chew on, asses and execute to their heart's content.

Poking a little fun at an organization that hasn't yet realized or doesn't care to realize a higher truth, or simply believes they are the end all be all, may be subject to our amusement from time to time. I very rarely see any remarks that are slighting and underhanded to individuals unless somewhat deserved. You blanketed the entire forum as being snooty and bougie about gear and level of knowledge when it couldn't be further from the truth. Company owners, techs, designers and operators tend to acquire and or at least work with gear that matches their knowledge and pay grade, a luxury that doesn't come overnight and often doesn't employ taglines that are far from a truth. Handing out a little criticism to an organization that is making bold remarks is not the worst of what could be done. Insulting a community of people who pretty much do nothing but hand out free information is less tactful if you ask me. We all know that the more we learn, the more we realize that we don't know. We play pretty nice for a group of people who obviously have more free time than we should.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »

Well said!
1983, eh?  Now that would be quite the feat!   ;)

OOPS.... I meant '93 - ha ha.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 05:42:13 AM »

https://youtu.be/uiUtzSW_pTk?t=131

Sometimes the rusty car is better than it looks. It's possible (albeit incredibly unlikely) that these guys have some amazing stuff there, backed up by a warehouse of every bit of equipment you can imagine. Yes, even that vintage unobtainium mic you just thought of.

Apart from that, I'm with you. Being honest about the equipment is likely to get them further along.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »

It could, pushed off a cliff, or dropped from a plane.
As Ivan would say, it's how you read the specifications.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Douglas Stringfellow

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »

Douglas,

You have been a site member since 2013 and have 9 posts and your first post wasn't until 2015 of which two are from this thread. Either you spent 5 years reading every thread we have on here, or you have no clue at all how we actually feel and act? One young fellow not too long ago started a thread asking for advice on how to advance his career in sound/production. Your response:

" Hello, Since you say, you have the basics down. I would suggest you stay in school, but not for sound or production. Gain Knowledge in something you love so just in case it does not work out or things get slow, you will still be employed in something you love. "

Now this response was to someone who had a little experience and a drive to make a career of it in this field and you told him to not advance his knowledge in this field and that he should in essence always plan on sound support and production as being a side job.

Fast forward to this week and you are saying we're jerks for poking a little fun at a Craigslist ad that is less than honest or at the very least slightly confusing. And to boot you say that we have knowledge and others are not as fortunate, after not too long ago, telling a forum member to NOT acquire any more knowledge in this field. What is it then?

The majority of the names you see often in the threads are doing two things; spreading knowledge and exposing for free, that knowledge to any and all who care to join this forum. The answers to just about any appropriate query are often quickly responded with multiple outlooks, theories, and approaches that the OP can then chew on, asses and execute to their heart's content.

Poking a little fun at an organization that hasn't yet realized or doesn't care to realize a higher truth, or simply believes they are the end all be all, may be subject to our amusement from time to time. I very rarely see any remarks that are slighting and underhanded to individuals unless somewhat deserved. You blanketed the entire forum as being snooty and bougie about gear and level of knowledge when it couldn't be further from the truth. Company owners, techs, designers and operators tend to acquire and or at least work with gear that matches their knowledge and pay grade, a luxury that doesn't come overnight and often doesn't employ taglines that are far from a truth. Handing out a little criticism to an organization that is making bold remarks is not the worst of what could be done. Insulting a community of people who pretty much do nothing but hand out free information is less tactful if you ask me. We all know that the more we learn, the more we realize that we don't know. We play pretty nice for a group of people who obviously have more free time than we should.

I spent my time doing many shows and helping folks who need to know!

jesseweiss

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »

It could, pushed off a cliff, or dropped from a plane.
As Ivan would say, it's how you read the specifications.
Chris.
Of course we'd have to do the calculations to determine the terminal velocity of the vehicle.

As for 0-60, that time must be due to wind resistance, since it takes 2.73 seconds via gravity alone.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.