ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordering a generic replacement VHF mic  (Read 538 times)

Leo Ristau

Ordering a generic replacement VHF mic
« on: November 06, 2018, 06:33:31 pm »

If I have a portable speaker/amp that came with two VHF mics and I need to replace one or both, does there exist a company that will sell me aftermarket mics that they will tune to the matching frequencies? I have not been able to find such a service. I haven't even been able to find a manufacturer that will do this for their own products. The ones that I have talked to say that it's impossible. I am baffled.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Ordering a generic replacement VHF mic
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:58:21 pm »

If I have a portable speaker/amp that came with two VHF mics and I need to replace one or both, does there exist a company that will sell me aftermarket mics that they will tune to the matching frequencies? I have not been able to find such a service. I haven't even been able to find a manufacturer that will do this for their own products. The ones that I have talked to say that it's impossible. I am baffled.

The wrinkle is the Companding scheme used in the receiver.  There are a number of different approaches to this, so simply making a transmitter that is on the same frequency does not necessarily mean that you will get acceptable sound out of the receiver.  Different Manufacturers use different schemes.

I still use some old Samson VHF stuff for my guitar rig.  I have spent years lurking on Fleabay to accumulate a decent supply of transmitters in my preferred frequency.  Who is the OEM for the RF on the speakers you've got [or is there even a way to find out?]?
brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:54:26 pm »

Replacement/spare transmitters are generally available from the "name brand" companies: Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, to name a few. I have purchased extra transmitters (hand-held and belt pack) so I have both available for each of my wireless channels.  As mentioned above, you have to match the make and model (and frequency band) to make it work.

Unlike TV remote controls, I am not aware of anybody who claims to make a "universal" wireless transmitter for audio purposes.  If you have a "no-name" system (or a cheap private label brand), you're probably out of luck.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Leo Ristau

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:35:21 am »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's a cheap brand - NSI Audio, EMB Pro series. Since it sounds like it won't be possible to get matching mics, I am thinking about ordering small plug-in transmitter/receiver sets for the extra mic jacks on the back of the amp. Does that sound reasonable?

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 11:27:14 pm »

If the sound quality of the transmitter / receiver combo is sufficient for your purposes, and there is enough output from the recevier to drive the speaker input, then sure.  Signal strength from the transmitter to the receiver is the other variable that you can/should consider; that will depend on a variety of factors, including other RF in the area where you are operating.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.