ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adapting 50A California plug to something household  (Read 12094 times)

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: Adapting 50A California plug to something household
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »

Thanks Tim that's good advice.  Peavey made a 2RU rackmounted distro for while, ETL listed and such, with a 9' NEMA14-50P on the end and 6 20A breakered 115v circuits. 

I run into NEMA14-50R a lot in venues in my area, perhaps it's a Canadian thing.  I don't do much with generators at this time, but my company is still in its early stages so I haven't seen it all yet.

I certainly like the idea of locking connectors whenever possible, so the idea of changing the ends on my 6/4 extension to CS50s is appealing.  Unless I drop some money on a new distro, I'd still be using the short adapter cable on that end, but for venues with 14-50 receptacles I'd need adapters at both ends of that cable which is what concerns me with this talk of a maximum of two interconnects. 

If that is defined as a plug into a receptacle, that hypothetical run I just described would have an interconnect at the first adapter, one at the distro end, and then the distro tail itself plugging into the adapter.... let alone if I were to add more lengths of 6/4 with connections in between... 

I guess that's really what I was hoping for clarification on.  What is defined as an interconnect? 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »

Without seeing your distro, I would assume it is easy enough to open it up and swap out the NEMA14-50 for a CS50 inlet. I want to say they have the same form factor and will go in the same hole. Probably best to have an electrician do it for you.

I have CS50s all over my little valley, but then again, I live in California. . .maybe that's just our style.

Thanks Tim that's good advice.  Peavey made a 2RU rackmounted distro for while, ETL listed and such, with a 9' NEMA14-50P on the end and 6 20A breakered 115v circuits. 

I run into NEMA14-50R a lot in venues in my area, perhaps it's a Canadian thing.  I don't do much with generators at this time, but my company is still in its early stages so I haven't seen it all yet.

I certainly like the idea of locking connectors whenever possible, so the idea of changing the ends on my 6/4 extension to CS50s is appealing.  Unless I drop some money on a new distro, I'd still be using the short adapter cable on that end, but for venues with 14-50 receptacles I'd need adapters at both ends of that cable which is what concerns me with this talk of a maximum of two interconnects. 

If that is defined as a plug into a receptacle, that hypothetical run I just described would have an interconnect at the first adapter, one at the distro end, and then the distro tail itself plugging into the adapter.... let alone if I were to add more lengths of 6/4 with connections in between... 

I guess that's really what I was hoping for clarification on.  What is defined as an interconnect?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 03:47:46 PM »

Well they do call it a California connector...  The back of the Peavey rackmount distro has a cable coming out of the back panel with a strain relief, the NEMA14-50P is at the end of that cable.  I think removing the cable and adding a CS50 inlet would involve more modification than I would be comfortable with, but I see where you're going with that, in that it would cut down at least one connection point.  I see every plug/receptacle connection point as one more place where oxidation can occur and give me issues.  The 9' cord on the back of the distro is rarely long enough to connect to the source of power anyway, versus where I want my amp/stagebox rack to be located. 

Perhaps a dedicated motion labs or similar unit would be a better way to go for when I have CS50 connectors, or my Peavey if it's 14-50 and within 50' so I could use the single feeder I already own.

If anyone following along has a copy of the code book and can settle the interconnect terminology for me that would be appreciated, but in the meantime I thank you Tim for your ideas.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 03:47:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.